CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cylinder head flow - What is crucial in a stocker? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=81362)

Chipper Chapman 01-20-2022 12:10 PM

Cylinder head flow - What is crucial in a stocker?

I realize that most stock eliminator engines don’t have what we would call “high” amounts of valve lift. But my question is, considering the amount of dwell at maximum lifts due to our day long durations, where is improving the flow and velocity more crucial? Is it low lift, .100-.300 or what we’ll call higher lift of .350 and up? Typical engines we would not consider maximum max lift flow numbers for much more than bragging rights, and would consider the low and mid lift to be more important as the valve passes through that area twice, which yes it still does, albeit extremely fast. Obviously improving it everywhere is the best case, but often what improves low lift can hurt the high lift and vice versa. So what is the more critical area of improvement in these situations?

Glenn Briglio 01-20-2022 01:54 PM

Re: Cylinder head flow - What is crucial in a stocker?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman (Post 655919)
I realize that most stock eliminator engines don’t have what we would call “high” amounts of valve lift. But my question is, considering the amount of dwell at maximum lifts due to our day long durations, where is improving the flow and velocity more crucial? Is it low lift, .100-.300 or what we’ll call higher lift of .350 and up? Typical engines we would not consider maximum max lift flow numbers for much more than bragging rights, and would consider the low and mid lift to be more important as the valve passes through that area twice, which yes it still does, albeit extremely fast. Obviously improving it everywhere is the best case, but often what improves low lift can hurt the high lift and vice versa. So what is the more critical area of improvement in these situations?

I got the popcorn popping for this one !!!!

Tim H 01-20-2022 02:08 PM

I predict the sound of crickets more than replies ... hopefully I will be wrong

SSDiv6 01-20-2022 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep...

Stan Weiss 01-20-2022 07:20 PM

Has anybody ever graphed their head flow against their cam?

Have a look at this thread

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=76576

Stan

SSDiv6 01-20-2022 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Weiss (Post 655947)
Has anybody ever graphed their head flow against their cam?http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=76576
Stan

Yes, been doing it for years even before computers...using graph paper in the early days.

B Parker 01-20-2022 09:56 PM

Chris, I thought you used Mr. Armstrong for your machine work. If so, I'm sure he is more than capable of helping you out. You don't get much better than those guys. Don't know if you knew your Chevell is purple because Chris Fuller loved the color. BP

outlaw 01-21-2022 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim H (Post 655932)
I predict the sound of crickets more than replies ... hopefully I will be wrong

I think those crickets hurt our sport sometime. I know people who have spent mega bucks on cars that they can’t make competitive and give up and find a new hobby and that’s one less voice for drag racing. These days when you don’t know how long ya might be around or how long the great smell of racing gas is going to feel the air might be time to let out a few secrets. Lots of great help on here but everyone knows the best secrets are locked in a vault.
Terry

Henrys Toy 01-21-2022 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman (Post 655919)

Good morning Chip and to all,
Boy did you open up a can of worms on that question.
All I can tell you is - Its complicated!

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA

Billy Nees 01-21-2022 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrys Toy (Post 655959)
All I can tell you is - Its complicated!
Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA

Yes, it is! And it will vary from combo to combo.