CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   4 wheel or 2 wheel drive?? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=79694)

JOE ZOOM 07-05-2021 11:02 PM

4 wheel or 2 wheel drive??

Thinking about purchasing a new truck...do I go 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive? will be used only to tow a 24ft enclosed trailer?...truck will not be used as a daily driver....truck is a 2500hd 6.2

Thanks for your help,
Joe Mocci

Dave Noll 07-06-2021 12:15 AM

Re: 4 wheel or 2 wheel drive??

Two

John Kissel 07-06-2021 06:32 AM

Buy a 2 wheel drive, lower cost, less to go wrong,and fix.

jmcarter 07-06-2021 07:29 AM

If you don't already have a 4WD in the household I would spring for that. Mother Nature can be a fickle master at times and there's been a number of times when a 4WD truck came in handy (even in South Georgia) when parked on wet grass or especially in some of the muddy holding areas. Any more I just about get an extended warranty with any new vehicle, they've become so complex that a single repair beyond the factory warranty period can put you ahead. Don't particularly care for jacked trucks with 37" tires but I do enjoy the vantage point offered by the bit higher stance of a 4WD. You might also consider higher resale value.

Just my 2 cents...

Bob Don 07-06-2021 08:00 AM

Joe - I used to tow a 24' enclosed with a Silverado 2500HD 2WD 8.1L, Allison tranny. Towed great and found the 2WD worked fine.

Ralph A Powell 07-06-2021 08:14 AM

Spring for 4wd there will times when it come in handy at track. Wet grass soft wet grass. It will help on resale also.

Henrys Toy 07-06-2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kissel (Post 643121)
Buy a 2 wheel drive, lower cost, less to go wrong,and fix.

I would go with the Two wheel drive. The tow vehicle is going to get crappy fuel mileage anyway. I would opt for the biggest brake and HD transmission package if available. Towing in and around North Jersey and Pa. ( like Numidia ) Biggest brakes are a must. Mostly "just in case". That's my two cents, but it might just add that slight edge you might need in an emergency.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz
1534 H/SA

RKelliher 07-06-2021 08:40 AM

Having grown up in New England , I only had one 4 wd truck. Found I didn't need it. Why add the extra cost and weight of 4wd if you don't need it. I drove my 2wd trucks all year round in deep snow with no problems. So don't waste your money on 4wd. Do spend it on a towing package and some other towing items.

Signman 07-06-2021 09:20 AM

Joe, have had both.
All you need is a 2500 with 2wd, big engine and transmission to tow the trailer safely, big brakes and a great trailer brake controller come with.
Diesel is better and a matter of choice and pocket depth.

Would recommend paying up for 4wd.

When your trailer is sitting on grass for a few days it sinks in the turf more than you would like. Add some rain or dew the first move to pull out of the ruts can cause the drive tire or tires slip (if you opt for locking diff which you should have with either) the next move clogs them and you are stuck. Been there done that......... Highway tread tires are a culprit, all terrain may be better, dual rear wheels may.....

With 4wd before even trying to move put it in low range 4wd and 1st gear and just drive off the grass on to solid ground put it in 2wd and enjoy the AC on the ride home.

Mike Pearson 07-06-2021 09:28 AM

Unless you need 4 WD for something other than towing your race rig I would get 2 WD. You will get better fuel mileage and less repair cost.