CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Quickest "Real" Pontiac (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=51963)

Geerhead55 02-23-2014 04:03 PM

Quickest "Real" Pontiac

I've got a buddy who is a diehard Pontiac freak, and he asked me what the quickest run by a Pontiac stocker was,, and he said "I don't mean those corporate V-8s or LS motors,, I'm talking a traditional real Pontiac engine." I told him I didn't know,, but I knew who to ask,, and I see that Scott Burton ran a 10.35 in "B" at Phoenix, and I can't think of any that have ever made "A" weight,, so I'm deferring to the masses.
I'm sure Scott's .35 has been bettered by someone or himself. Nitro Joe, can you help? I'll see my buddy next weekend at breakfast,,,, thanks for any info.
Danny Durham

Mark Yacavone 02-23-2014 04:09 PM

Re: Quickest "Real" Pontiac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geerhead55 (Post 421851)
I've got a buddy who is a diehard Pontiac freak, and he asked me what the quickest run by a Pontiac stocker was,, and he said "I don't mean those corporate V-8s or LS motors,, I'm talking a traditional real Pontiac engine." I told him I didn't know,, but I knew who to ask,, and I see that Scott Burton ran a 10.35 in "B" at Phoenix, and I can't think of any that have ever made "A" weight,, so I'm deferring to the masses.
I'm sure Scott's .35 has been bettered by someone or himself. Nitro Joe, can you help? I'll see my buddy next weekend at breakfast,,,, thanks for any info.
Danny Durham

Pretty sure Scott has run a tenth quicker or better, Nat's, Div's
Maybe 2 years ago?

chris ok 02-23-2014 04:11 PM

Are there any Ram Air IV GTO's running?
My favorite all time car.

Tom Moock 02-23-2014 04:26 PM

Scott best run in both 2011 & 2012 10.32, 2013 10.20 per nitro joe`s stats. Tom

bob3240 02-24-2014 05:16 PM

Someone said that it is the fastest stocker with a Q-Jet. Anybody know???

Jim Kaekel 02-24-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob^3240 (Post 421991)
Someone said that it is the fastest stocker with a Q-Jet. Anybody know???

I would think that's a good possibility.

Carguy49 02-24-2014 06:02 PM

This might help. In the January 2013 issue of High Performance Pontiac there is a 5 page article on Scott's Firebird. In the article it states that he has run a best of 10.17 at 128 m.p.h with a 60 ft. of 1.292. According to the article, I believe he was at "B" weight. I have met Scott and his son Brad and found both of them to be great guys and very accomplished racers. Brad was N.H.R.A. Stock champ twice.

For comparison, I believe Leo Glasbrenner has been in the 10.30's in C. I don't think his 68 will get any lighter than that, I could be wrong.

In Super Stock I believe Bill Rink's '74 G.T.O. has been in the 10.50's in SS/LA. Again I could be wrong.

Would love to hear if either of these last 2 cars have been quicker.

jmcarter 02-24-2014 06:37 PM

Don't think Scott has had the opportunity to run in mineshaft conditions either....pretty impressive indeed.

Geerhead55 02-25-2014 01:46 AM

Ron,, thanks for the info,, you're right they're a couple of good guys,, and I'm sure you'll recall that occasionally, the 2 time champ has hauled his Firebird out to Bremerton and run in Pro Bracket with us, although I haven't had the pleasure of lining up along side of him yet. Probably a good thing.

Jim,, its a shame that the Mission Raceway divisional got moved into June, away from the mineshaft conditions that sometimes occurred in May. That would be quite a tow for Scott,, so I hope he finds good conditions somewhere else.
Danny Durham

Ron Stewart 02-25-2014 11:44 AM

On the super stock side! in gt/aa stacy mccarty and don kennedy both have ran 9 teens 140 + . stacy with a stock block. both with pontiac bodies.
now thats impressive ! don't care who you are.:D