CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   1997 Camaro SGT/A-B (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=57151)

Chipper Chapman 03-09-2015 09:50 PM

1997 Camaro SGT/A-B

9 Attachment(s)
We are in the process of a neat build for my dads last race car. He had pretty well everything to put together a 71 LS5 454 engine, 365@355hp. The engine is mainly used parts aside from a new set of Eagle rods he got a deal on. The budget build of about $4k netted us 465HP @ 5500 on Armstrong's dyno, we were quite pleased! He had wanted to build a chevelle to put it in but being a retiree they are out of budget for him, well actually just about anything was but we still had all this gear around. I decided to pay him back for helping me get my first race car about 15 years ago, but running a stocker myself, a second chevelle was out of budget. Sooo onto his second choice I surprised him with a trip to North Carolina for his 65th birthday, to purchase a 97 camaro roller that we would make his last race car from. The combination is a natural Stock GT/A but we plan to run it in B, with a minimum weight of 3365#, and on an index of 11.65

So here we are about a year later finally with enough gear rounded up to make a race car and we've been able to make some good progress.

It was going to cost too much for us to go with a 12 bolt, so having lots of time we resorted a route we used for a few bracket cars. Starting with an 8.5" 10 bolt housing we transferred all the brackets and fabbed the torque arm mount, and added a Moser spool and axle kit, along with Motive 4.10's.

Again cost being an issue, the only specific swap headers I could find were Lemons, no way. After much searching and measuring it was decided a set of Hooker chevelle street headers would do with minimal reworking. The rack posed an issue as the pinion was going to run into the mount and header, but a little more searching paid off. I found that the LS1 cars rack had the pinion laid over tighter to the frame rail which gave us the room we needed. All in all it wasn't a bad swap! The biggest problem and decision we faced was the distributor being under the cowl, and not enough room for it. Well the rulebook stated that any vehicle (key word!) factory equipped with a distributorless ignition could run crank trigger, so thats how we went, and it fits! I'd like to have some more carb clearance as I think it's too close at 1" from cowl, about 1.5" from bottom of hood. But pan is only a 1/4" off the rack so not much we can do there.

Chipper Chapman 03-09-2015 09:53 PM

Re: 1997 Camaro SGT/A-B

3 Attachment(s)
K member with mounts and engine installed. Made myself a little cart as well for frame, engine and trans to rest on so that Installation is easy with the hoist

Mark Howes 03-11-2015 07:57 PM

Looking Good Chris, Can't wait to see the finished product.

Dragsinger 11-21-2015 09:36 AM

Do you have some updated photos and build notes?

Brian Fink 11-21-2015 12:41 PM

I realize that you were very clear regarding cost , however , the rearend will most likely be an issue . My personal experience , and that was in a lower class stocker , is that it won't hold up. Do yourself a favor and install a 12 bolt .

MR DERBY CITY 11-21-2015 07:13 PM

X 2 on the 12 bolt...that Big Block is going to scare the hell out of that 8.5.....

FireSale 11-21-2015 09:13 PM

The index for GT/A is 10.00 and the National record is 8.81. This is a very fast class. A friend of mine has one of the Setters cars from Canada running in GT/AA pushing 150. Your car would have to run in the 9s to qualify.

Dale

MR DERBY CITY 11-21-2015 09:39 PM

Dale, I believe chipper is running the car in IHRA Stk GT.

FireSale 11-22-2015 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY (Post 488538)
Dale, I believe chipper is running the car in IHRA Stk GT.

Stock GT/A. Thanks. Not too familiar with IHRA.

Chipper: Good luck with the build and keep us posted on your progress.

Dale

Dave Noll 11-22-2015 08:37 PM

That's some nice welding. Would be inclined to agree about the 12 bolt but I'm a Fffffford guy.