View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
super-x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 1st post...new with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by masracing View Post
First of all welcome to the sport. Just be warned it is very addictive. Once you start you cant stop

I think cost is very dependent on what you are looking to do. There are so many variables that come into play.
As far as the hardtail vs. fourlink there have been a lot of debates. I personally own a hardtail Dan Page car and I am very happy with it. I have been 6.8s with no problems. Others say fourlinks are better. Its a matter of opinion. There have been a lot of debates up here about that As far as price you can find decent used cars for around 12,000 dollars up to building a brand new car for 100,000 all depends on what you want to do. I think the fun factor is the same regardless.

I think it would be easier to give you an idea of operating costs if you let us know some other details.
Are you looking to run local super pro races or high dollar brackets? Just local super pro races.
How far do you live from the tracks you will race at? about 1 to 1.5 hrs
Do you plan to buy a motor home or stay in hotels? hotels if needed...
How often do you plan to race? I would say 150 runs like yourself would be a good 1st guess...again lower than most.
How fast are you looking to go? I've had 8 - 8.5 sec in the 1/4 in mind...
How much of the work are you able to do on your own? If you are an engineer you probably will be able to do a lot of it. I would want to to do all of it on my own. Not going to lie...not a ton of engine experience...I understand it all...and have worked on them...but very limited...like a dragster because accessibility...not to mention good drive-ability. (from what I've heard)
Depending on how fast you want to go you can by motors that will put an average dragster in the mid sevens with very little maintenance. Other than changing the oil and occassionaly checking valve springs. I put about 150 runs on mine a year. That is low compared to others. I choose to freshen my motor every year. I have heard of others make 3-400 runs between freshen ups. Most of the cars are pretty low maintenance.
Good Luck and as I said have fun. Its a great sport

B.J. Masiello
Thanks for the reply! Engine wise I was think of something in a 400 small block...any real advantages to a BB? I talked with a guy last year who's dragster I was interested in. He basically laid out the same thing in regards to changing oil and check valve lash. However, he seemed to eager to sell his rail and I wasn't totally buying his story on maintenance. So when freshening rolls around...what do you replace...rings, bearings, springs, fluids? Is there a standard? Thanks again for the help! -Mark
super-x is offline   Reply With Quote