View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Rollins_2241

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Time to Revisit the Super Times?

I run a 130 mph S/ST car and ran a 160 mph S/C car and have won Wallys with both. The longer I race, the more I realize the truth of a veteran's advice to me long ago. "It's not about having what they have, it's about making what you have work". Of course speed is the single biggest advantage you can BUY in the Super classes (or any drag racing). But there are lots of advantages you can't buy except with lots of seat time and combination testing.

The current Super classes are not fun to watch, especially on TV. Even slow cars, when they leave together and run all-out side by side "look" faster on TV. I realized this when watcing Unleashed footage from the 12.0 class.

In Division 2, NHRA runs 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0 index classes along with Lucas Oil events. They are lots of fun and have essentially "Nostalgia Super Class" rules - no timers, no delay boxes, pro tree, heads up with a breakout. Those classes have a loyal following but won't grow rapidly unless they NHRA phases out the throttle stop classes. But they do attract new racers who have absolutely no interest in Super class racing and would not be spending their money and weekends at the racetrack otherwise.
Rollins_2241 is offline   Reply With Quote