View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 942 Times in 260 Posts
Default Re: 85 5.0 Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post

1985 4 bbl Mustang 5.0 combo had the hydraulic roller cam and the heads were better than the 83-84 4 bbl Mustang.
Like Sean said, the 85 4 barrel heads are esentially the same as the 83-84 heads, in fact the same D8 heads were used on 302 2 barrel from 78 until Ford stopped making them. The only change for the 85s E5 casting was to add a clearance notch to allow the removal of the taller hyd. roller lifters without needing to remove the heads.
As for running a stick trans, I would not waste my time with a stock T5. When I first started running my 85 Mustang, I too thought it would be much cheaper than buying a good trans, by the end of that first year, I had 2 broken T5s, and a bent mainshaft that was replaced1/2 way thru the season. I put a Jerico and McLeod Soft Lok clutch in the car in 2004, and other than changing the trans oil occassionly, I have not touched the trans since. Same thing with the rearend, the stock Traction Lock and axles are not up to the task with a stick, although the axles would likely live with an automatic, the Trac Lock will let you down, and NHRA mandates aftermarket axles with a spool. Best to get some good pieces from the start.