Old 10-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #118
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Project - NHRA Stock and S/S results 61-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
OLD Skool

Ok, the only info I have is whats on the list of winners I posted, and DC’s tables....which you quoted.

So to answer your 1st question - So.......Not ‘made up’ - You’d have to ask DC how he arrived at the ‘likely contenders’.

I decided on the B/SA Ben Wolf Pontiac entry after discussions with DC - there were three viable 1969 Pontiacs that met class. If you think the Firebird is a better ‘fit’ - I’ll change the entry - after all, all we have is the Driver, the Brand and the year model.
The "made up" description is a comparison. Rather than being a list that was published in the National Dragster paper, which looks official, it appears to be a list that some individual "made", therefore I used the term "made up". It was not a put down or criticism, or me saying that he just made it up out of thin air or something.

As to which car was more likely raced, if it was indeed a Pontiac, I'd go with one of the Birds. I have LOTS of pics of '69 GTO's. Can't find a single one with B/S or B/SA on it. I can't even find one with C/S or C/SA on it. They were just too heavy(3500lbs)Not saying they didn't run that class, in '69. Just saying I've never seen a pic of one running that high a class. Most have either D or E on 'em. Have one with F on it. But, I have no idea what the NHRA hp factor was, for the GTO engines, in '69.

Now, as to WHICH Bird might have been used. Could have been either. I'd have to lean towards the '69, simply because the year of the race was '69, & because lots of Pontiac dealerships raced current year model cars, to help with sales of current year models they had in stock. He may have been offered the car for one or just a few races, because they knew he was a good experienced Pontiac racer.

Then again, the car could have been a '68, which was owned by a friend, who wanted him to tune & drive the car some, in order to make it a little quicker.

Unless we could talk to someone who knew the situation, or unless we can find a pic of the car with his number or name on it, I suppose there is no way to know, for sure, exactly what he was driving. If I had to guess, I'd go with the RA4 '69 Bird, assuming he was driving a Pontiac.

May have been driving a different brand car at that race. Lots of Pontiac guys switch brands. Some drive 2 different brands at the same race. For example: Scott Burton now drives a Ford in Stock & a Pontiac in SS, at some races.

"So what motor, what HP was this car?"

Until I see a pic of a '69 GTO taken during the '69 season, with either C/S, C/SA, B/S, or B/SA, I'll say that a D/S or D/SA '69 GTO had the RA4 engine. I'll guess that the RA3 engine ran E & the std 350hp engine ran F. But I can't prove it. Don't know the NHRA hp factors for any of these engines, at the time. The only legal weight I've ever seen listed is 3500lbs.

I do have a pic of the 1968 "Rocky's Goat", with C/SA on it. But the pics I have of the '69 Rocky's Goat show it with either D/SA or E/SA. It set the E/SA nat record, in '70.

Also have a pic of a '69 Judge with F/SA on it. Assuming it had the RA3 engine, & pic was taken in '70.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colonial Banshee .jpg
Views:	106
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	60844   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Rocky's '68 .jpg
Views:	101
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	60863   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Rocky's D-SA .jpg
Views:	102
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	60864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - '69 Judge E-SA .jpg
Views:	100
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	60865   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 - F-SA Judge .jpg
Views:	106
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	60866  

Last edited by oldskool; 10-17-2021 at 12:39 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote