View Single Post
Old 10-19-2023, 04:21 AM   #63
Cglrcng

Liked 144 Times in 77 Posts
Default Re: A 30 year journey, and a 2nd chance.

(Oh man, really sorry I cannot believe I did that not just once, but like over 4 times, I am lousy with names, but that is usually people I have only met a couple of times in life, not people I have known for decades! I just corrected each post, my apologies to both Bill and others reading the thread, a very good reason you could not find him on the sheets...crap, what an old fool I am.) I typed Mr. O'Connor and somehow that transposed or corrected to McConnell. (I really need to use the preview more before clicking post!)

No author here, except for my racing Novel's here (I may not remember names well, but details of events that happened in my lifetime...every detail is unforgettable, like it was imbedded on a memory chip). Bill O'Connor has a Dark Brown boxy 83 Dodge Omni "Slo Roller" is on the side now in large letters (and the announcers know him well, since our billboards are on track the longest of any at the events), w/ that carbed low HP VW or Mitsubishi I think 87 HP engine, weighs in at like 2,223 pounds or so (my Daytona 2.2L/135 99HP currently has a 6 HP factor on it to 105- that is an extra 150 lbs @ 25.0 lbs/HP, and my min. wt is 2,795 lbs). I think he said his minimum was (a 500 lb difference, but beam scales were junk, and I was carrying in actuality 550 lbs more). Check down near the bottom of the Bakersfield Famoso Div. 7 Double (or the Div. 7 NHRATV Live Stream Replay on YouTube), held at the beginning of October, and again at Phoenix early in the Spring of 23'. He just ran 16.95 then 16.85 on Thursday, then a 16.95 in our Class race (my ET w/ the win was 17.204).

He has been racing that car in Div. 7, and mainly West Coast National events since the early to mid 1990's. I have raced him in Class races back in the mid to late 90's in GF/S and mine was a GF/SA, he is now in EF/S as am I (since they did away w/ FF and GF classes and combined all slower into EF/S), same 17.45 Index, same 25 lbs/per HP (same 500 lb plus wt difference too though). Friends w/ a slow roller rivalry. (Only I sat out the last 26 yrs.). The prior last class race together was The Atsco Phoenix Nationals in Feb. 1997, he got to the finish line an inch before me...not this time. But, if anyone gives me 4/10th's at the tree I will get there first (not to say I could not have competed well if it had been even lights). I just have no time slips that show a 16 sec. E.T.....yet. I just finished the car, barely got the rings seated before Bakersfield. Just changed the oil after the event from Breakin to real oil.

Last edited by Cglrcng; 10-19-2023 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Additions and a typo correction...more details.
Cglrcng is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked