View Single Post
Old 09-30-2022, 08:00 PM   #55

Liked 927 Times in 240 Posts
Default Re: The mines are now closed (AHFS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Actually, I suggested a couple of tenths..Realistically it should be 5.

I just looked and the Div 1 Stock Q results for the season. I see one guy with a good combo that's running about 2 tenths under at every race.I don't know what his game is. He's run fast before in other cars.He must be using a Target motor or something.
.I see a very few new names at the bottom and some with mechanical issues.
Billy's current ride has a long block right out of the junkyard, and he can run 5 tenths under.

Almost every day we hear that S/SS is a performance based eliminator. Also we MUST have heads -up runs in the eliminator.
But then we hear that lowering the indexes 2 tenths and keeping the triggers at the same value , to keep pace with progress, is a dumb idea.
Rich, I don't know how long you've been at this, and I know some of the newer guys don't like to hear about the good old days, but try this:
In 1978, I was fortunate to be in a divisional final. Myself and the other guy were the the only two cars to run on or under the index, for the entire event.
Today, those combos can run a full second under the index.
I guess you never drove 1000 miles to Gainesville with a S/S car and qualified 34th in a 32 car field. gee..Much too hard. I should have quit then. ;-)

How about we lower the indexes 2 tenths and then , for the guys at the bottom, over the index, we give them a participation trophy?
Then we can watch the rest of the cars run all the way to the 1320?
Not sure which races you were looking at, but if the indexes were lowered .5, there would be 5 or 6 cars in Div1 that would be non qualifiers, maybe even more depending on the DA.

If you think Billys car can run .5 under anywhere, you should come rent it from him and run it at Numidia next year, or Atco when its 95 degrees.
lowering the index .5 would just help the fast cars, it would do nothing for the entry level racer that can't spend 5k on heads. If we turn that person away, are we really helping to bring new racers in?

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked