View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #55
Ray Gottry

Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: First Divisional or National event stories

My first division race was Gainesville,1996 in Super Street. I had gotten my small block, four speed Maverick to run 10.90s in late 1995. I was stationed at NAS Jacksonville, FL. on my twilight tour and wanted to get started racing on the NHRA tour before I retired from the Navy. I rolled into tech and Mike Wells came over to tech me in. He went over the car and then said "put it in gear and start it up". I thought, okay, but it will start in any gear (4 speed remember, LOL). Anyway I start the car and Mike turns off the battery switch to shut the car down. He walks up to the drivers door and says " you have to have a lock out switch on the shifter". With a scrunched up face I turn to him and say "it's a 4 speed". With a shocked look on his face he says "oh hell, I didn't even look at the shifter". He signed my tech card and sent me on my way. We had a big laugh over that one and became good friends after that. I wrecked the car in 2007 and haven't raced since, but you never forget your first time, LOL!

Last edited by Ray Gottry; 04-09-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Ray Gottry is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked