View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #57
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: First Divisional or National event stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Don View Post
1978 Sportsnationals at Bowling Green, after a godawful tow through the night, I teched in. I had put brand new pair of bright yellow Lakewood slapper bars on my U/SA Nova. The tech guy said the traction bars were too low. I got out tools and cranked the U-bolts as far as I could - nope, still too low. I ended up taking the front snubbers off and then cranking the U-bolts all the way - finally I was passed. After that race, I painted the traction bars flat black and never got a second look after that.

1979 Summernationals at E-Town. I was at a motel on Rte 18 (I think it's gone now). There were a ton of racers there. Back then, most guys took their cars back to the motel overnight. The motel was a total zoo. Guys were drinking, bench racing, partying, and wrenching their cars. There were several race cars in the parking in various states of disassembly. I remember everyone used motel towels as shop rags, which really pissed off the manager. I was in my room on the second floor and I heard a loud argument a few doors down. It was Dave LeBrun yelling at his brother Bob about what to watch on TV. Things got pretty heated and the next thing you know, Dave wheeled out the TV on it's cart and tossed it over the balcony and into the pool! Everyone who saw it was in total shock. Dave went back in his room in a huff and slammed the door. Fun times.
That is a good one!🤣