View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Team Woodfin's "Thunder"

The background.

Many of you will recall the long-time NHRA D 4 tech man, Harold Hayes. Around 2004 Harold and his son Lester began a stocker buildup based on a 1988 Thunderbird. They were both working at the Ford dealer in Kilgore, Texas. Also, I owned a general automotive repair shop the next street over. We were long-time friends and often helped each other.

With interest, I kept an eye on the Thunderbird work. They tore it down to the bare body, put it in the Ford dealer body shop, and came out a nice, shiny Blue. Then it when to Dennis Hurst's shop for the roll bar and other chassis work.

Once it returned to Kilgore, for several reasons, the project stalled. Eventually, it was stored for several years. I often thought about the car and knew it was a good start for "something." The day came when I found myself between buildups. Again, thinking of the Thunderbird, I reached out to Lester on Facebook. The contact was fruitful, and the Thunderbird was moved to my shop.

However, once again, the project stalled. I took on two other buildups for Troy Morgan, then sold the property and retired. The Thunderbird was once again stored for a while.

We have heard it said, "all good things come to those who wait" so, the Thunderbird waited.

Now, after establishing a small shop at my home and finishing my Lamplighter Camaro, the Thunderbird project is a go.

DISCLAIMER: this will not be a class legal buildup. It is no longer practical for me to attend the multi-day races. It will be built to compete in bracket racing at the Dallas area tracks. Plus, it will have a Chevrolet powertrain, most likely an LS-series engine.

Finally, if you want to watch the unfolding of a fast bracket race car, please stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	57011