View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #18
Tabitha Draughon

Liked 678 Times in 224 Posts
Default Re: CCRA Crew Chief Spotlight

CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association Crew Chief Spotlight

Danny Waters Sr, from LaGrange, NC, gets all of the focus this week. He is 69 years young & is the crew chief for his son, Danny Waters Jr. Danny Sr. has held this title for 30+ years & hopes that there is many more years to come. Danny Sr. got involved in racing from his father & his brother & has now passed it along to his son & grandson, Crayden. Danny states that KDS Motorsports is his favorite track & if he would have given any other answer, I would have been in complete shock. KDS Motorsports is home to Danny Waters Motorsports & there has been tons of memories shared between their family at this facility. His most memorable win with his son, Danny Jr, came from the old IHRA days when they actually ran one another in a finals (not sure of the class or track but maybe one of them will chime in & share). I'm sure you are all familiar with Danny Sr. but holding a different title. He is also the head of tech for CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association & the "official" card drawer. He stays very busy at the track whether he is in his crew chief role or CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association role. As far as his crew chief duties, he sums it up & says "almost everything"! Danny says that his least favorite job is loading & unloading the cars & I think we've heard that quite a few times from other crew chiefs this year. As driver, Danny Jr's, biggest complaint is there isn't enough time to play golf during the racing outings. Danny Sr. laughingly says that there is something funny that happens at every race & that there are too many memories to list them all.

The Waters Racing Family can be found at local tracks such as KDS Motorsports, Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway, & GALOT Motorsports Park as well as some big money bracket races. Most will recall a little over a month ago, Mr. Danny's Stock Eliminator car had a misfortunate accident with son, Danny Jr. behind the wheel while working on it at Danny Jr's shop. Luckily, Danny Jr. didn't suffer any major injuries but was sore for several days to follow & his shop took quite a beating. I've talked to both Sr. & Jr. & the repairs to the shop are close to completion which means the car is next on the list. We hope to see Danny Sr. or Danny Jr. back behind the wheel of the Camaro before years end at a CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association race. Be sure to tell them hello next time you see them at the track!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dw1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	67782  
Tabitha Draughon is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked