View Single Post
Old 10-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #142
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Project - NHRA Stock and S/S results 61-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
To save a lot of ‘to and fro’.....check the results I have fot 62...then give me your educated opinion on where Antlocer fits.

I am genuinely interested because r/up info is so hard to source. ��

https://skunkwerkssuperstock.wordpre...s-experiments/
One thing I noticed in the Jr. Stock book is that at the end of the caption are the words (Photo Courtesy Stan Antlocer)

SO, does that mean that the author of the book was in contact with Stan, & got the pic & info he published directly from Stan ???

If this is the case, & Stan knew that the info he provided might be published in a book & credited to him, would he intentionally provided false info, which he knew could be proven false ???

OR, did the book's author get the facts wrong, NOT publishing exactly what Stan provided to him ???

I don't know the answer to these questions. I don't know who won the race or who the RU was or what car either driver was driving.

Hey, I live in Louisiana & have never even been close to Indy, much less attended a race there. I just read what others have written about races & repost some of it on a few car forums. If the results I read were posted wrong, then the results I repost will also be wrong.

Have run across quite a bit of conflicting info about race results from 50 years or more ago, as well as races from the modern era.

I've posted that Pontiacs won races, when it turned out that the driver who won the race HAD driven Pontiacs at some previous races, BUT was NOT driving a Pontiac at the particular race I was reporting on. Sometimes only the names are posted, with no mention of what car was being driven.

After scanning down thru your 1962 section, I noticed that you said Hayden Proffitt won Top Stock at Indy, in a 421 Pontiac.

"...These 421 cui motors ran 11:1, dual quad carburretors and were rated to 405. The lightweight panels were available to the approved teams and raced in SS/S. Hayden Proffitt proved the cars worth by winning Top Stock at the US Nationals..."

According to other info posted, he actually won the SS/S class @ the '62 Winter nats, with that #670 Pontiac. He did win Top Stock @ Indy that year, but he was driving the #612 409 powered Chevy. At least, that's what I can gather from all the results I've seen.

This article lists Arlen Vanke a S/S winner. But then, as a caption to a pic, says Bill Sasse won S/S. Have a pic of a car with "Bill Sasse" on the door & "Driver Arlen Vanke" on the roof, over the door. So, IF this was the winning car, who was driving at the '62 Indy Nats ?

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...onals_1-20.pdf

Last edited by oldskool; 10-29-2021 at 10:30 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote