HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Barb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tire Blow Outs and Trailer Damage??

Has anyone experienced a MAJOR tire blow-out on a trailer?? We have popped a few tires in the past… and some have left marks on the trailer from debris, but nothing like our trip home from Charlotte. We have a 48 FT 5th wheel, 3 axle Goldrush trailer and uses a Goodyear G614 RST LT235/85R16. Our Right, front tire on the trailer, blew entering the Baltimore tunnel on 95N. The entire tire tread separated from the steel belt and blew a hole out of the tread area about as big as a fist; the steel belts are still intact (except for the blow out hole). The side walls and beads are perfect, no damage, no wear, not under inflated…Rim is perfect.
We now have a claim in with Goodyear as the trailer has to go back for repairs the damage is that bad. Goodyear is sending a call tag for the tire to be inspected in Ohio. I have to take all eight tires to a authorized Goodyear center to be inspected, because their leaning toward tire failure, due to extent of damage to the trailer. The force of the tire explosion put a hole in the wheel well, entered between the trailer wall, blew out the inside wall and insulation. It blew out the outside skin ripping though the rivets, bending at least two vertical beams and more. This is the first G614 we have blown…If Mike Sawyer reads this post… you were using this tire, do you still run it?? And have you had any trouble with it.

Barb Seemann 172A S/C 172C S/G
Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
GRIGGS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Tire Blow Outs and Trailer Damage??

Barb, how old were the tires?
Even if the trailer is new, you can check the date code on the tire by looking at the D.O.T. number and reading the last 4 digits. If the last 4 number of the D.O.T. reads 1706 then that means the tire was made in the 17th week of 2006.
GRIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Barb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All the Tires are dated 3705, all 8 were purchased on the same invoice in May of 06. The new wheels did not arrive till later and the new tires & rims went on July of 06. We started 07 season late in July, Tom figures about 15,000 miles are on them now. The G614 production was modified 11-01-06 due to "Tread Separation" and "Tire disintegration". I found an online forum for RV's and Trailer owners, in which they posted their experiences with the blow outs and damage to their trailers, and some even mentioned Goodyear paying for the damages and replacing tires after the warranty had run out. One actually listed the number to call, which I did, and the call was just as they described. I have received the paperwork for the property damage claim submission and I had a claim number by Goodyear in under 5 minutes of conversation. We were also in the fast lane entering the tunnel, with no cars around as it was 1:30am Monday when this occurred, and it was the right tire that blew. We had no choice but drive through the tunnel (at least it was one of the shorter ones) pay the toll and pulled over. The center tire took a hit and was losing air, the rear tire was holding 110LBS but had some shrapnel in is. The heat gun showed all the drums were 126 degrees except for the one that blew, which was hotter as we ran on it flat to get out of the tunnel. We pulled over 4 times on the way home, after our two hour repairs, and checked the temperature and air pressure, all were the same temperature at around 126 degrees, 110LBS. We checked the brakes too, and non were locking up or hanging...all the wheels spun the same.

If this was a one time freak instance I'm fine with that....but I'm worried about another blow out...We can not see anything wrong with these tires, they all look great and we have been very happy with our investment..till now.

Barb Seemann 172A S/C 172C G/G
Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
GRIGGS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Barb, my family is in the tire business here in Ocala, Fl. Have heard of some instances of the early '06 tires having an issue. Sounds like Goodyear is trying to do the right thing by giving you the claim form. It is very important to keep all info on the tires. If they wish to inspect it, get the name of your local dealer and anybodys name and extension number at Goodyear. Keep track of where that tire is and who has it!!!
As far as the newer 614's, we haven't heard of any complaints. I will say that it is the best 16' tire on the market for what you are doing. Most people don't want to spend the extra 100 to 140 dollars for the 14 Ply tires.
Mike Griggs
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
RJ Zenzen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have now replaced all the 614's on our 04 stacker. After the first two blew this spring I didn't want to take a chance. Thank God no trailer damage. Was there a problem with the early ones?? RJ Zenzen
RJ Zenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Barb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx for the Info...I actually did not get the name of the claim rep at Goodyear, who gave me the claim number...but will start the list of name and events from here on out. I met with the Insurance Company today, and this particular adjuster I know well. He Wrote Frank Manzo's trailer a ways back, so I asked for him and I got him. I forwarded about 15 photos to Goldrush today and they will start a preliminary estimate of the damages. The Insurance guy thought the tires were brand new, because of the lack of wear, and the rims are perfect.
Goldrush said, even the trailers in a tornado from IKE that fell over, didn't bust a walls out, just dented them up. I will post what happens after my meeting with Goodyear this Saturday.

Barbara Seemann 172A S/C 172C S/G
Old 09-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Barb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Zenzen View Post
I have now replaced all the 614's on our 04 stacker. After the first two blew this spring I didn't want to take a chance. Thank God no trailer damage. Was there a problem with the early ones?? RJ Zenzen
I found a RV web site by googling G614 Failure. Some people posted there, that with a date code prior to the Nov 1 2006 retooling, the blow outs would cause major property damage to the 5th wheel trailers. But the photos I looked at at this site were wood walls and travel trailer types, not a GoldRush style trailer. Were are all amazed at the damage, The tire hole from the explosion, was on the top side in the wheel house, if the hole had blown on the ground it may not have been as bad. Looks like the axle may be bent as well. Bits of steel belt embedded itself in the middle tire like you see in a wind tunnel test, when they shoot a 2 by 4 through a wall to show hurricane force winds, this didn't cause another explosion, but a slow leak and had to be changed too. You can't pull them out with you fingers and there are at least 20 or more of them.

Barbara Seemann 172A S/C 172C S/G
Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
MikeSawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
If Mike Sawyer reads this post… you were using this tire, do you still run it?? And have you had any trouble with it.
We haven't had problems yet. I just checked the date codes on ours and they ranged from 1506-1906 with the exception of one that was the original spare with an '03 Date code. The original ones went about 3 years, before we changed them just because we didn't like the way they were starting to look. Probably could've put more miles on them and they would've been fine.

Sorry to hear about the trailer, though and thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a good eye on them and check into failures with our date codes.

-Mike
MikeSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
Barb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is the latest update on my Trailer/Tire issue. Goodyear North America, sent me to a Goodyear dealer of their recommendation, to inspect all 8 mounted tires. This was a complete waste of time, as the heaviest vehicle they see is an F350, and they had only sold this tire a few times, in all their operations. Their tire machine was too small to fit the hub, and couldn’t of balanced them anyway. After losing a whole day off work, I did find a Light Truck dealer that was honest enough to say that the Blow up was not normal, for any tire, and that I should trade all 8 tires. At $315.00 (retail) a tire, this was a bit ludicrous to me, as 2 of the tires were still brand new. But Goodyear Corp authorized a pro-rated deal that was really good..4 tires at no cost, 3 at under $90.00 each and full price for the one that blew-up (that $315.00 retail price). If they allowed a dime on that one, they would have to admit some liability for the damage it did, a smart move legally on their part. The tire is in Akron Ohio for further evaluation and they will LMK, if it is a failure after testing etc… The trailer damage is estimated at $14,000. to start, I was a little low on that guess, there are 4 panels inside and out to be replaced and 12 Z-bars, the front Axle etc… My Insurance Company is freaking out, of course, and making life miserable. My adjuster knows nothing about trailers and would rather pay the $2,000. tow to PA from NJ on a flat bed, than reimburse me for the fuel to get the trailer to Goldrush…what an idiot!! The funny thing is, as a body shop Manager, this is the first claim I have ever submitted for myself, and I find the shoe on my other foot, is a little tight right now.
Barb Seemann
Old 09-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
GRIGGS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Re: Tire Blow Outs and Trailer Damage??

Wow, what a load of B.S. about full price on the blowout tire. Barb you may just have to get a lawyer to write a letter to put some heat on Goodyear. The last thing that GY wants is a lawsuit with all of the bad publicity that goes with it.
Griggs