HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-04-2024, 04:10 PM   #1
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 487 Times in 179 Posts
Default D Day June 6, 1944

I just watched an interview with a 104 year old D Day wounded veteran. The back drop was the American cemetary with all the white crosses, in France. They were the greatest generation. Particularly interesting, IMO, was the question "what do you think that the combat veterans from WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam would say about the United States today"? What would you say?
Old 06-04-2024, 06:02 PM   #2
BRETV

Liked 612 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: D Day June 6, 1944

My grandfather will be 101 in August. Was an MP in the Navy during WWII. Stationed in Italy. Was a pipe fitter in the union for over 30 years. Built his family's house after work and on the weekend's, by himself. The greatest generation ever!! We've had many discussions. He said he never thought in a million years he would see the US this bad. He says the propaganda in the media is like communist countries years ago and he's glad he's leaving here soon. Says he feels sorry for my kids and his great grandkids future. God Bless America.

Bret Velde
2003 I/SA
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 08:23 PM   #3
nickh

Liked 260 Times in 105 Posts

I was born on D Day 1960 LOL
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:38 AM   #4
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 799 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I just watched an interview with a 104 year old D Day wounded veteran. The back drop was the American cemetary with all the white crosses, in France. They were the greatest generation. Particularly interesting, IMO, was the question "what do you think that the combat veterans from WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam would say about the United States today"? What would you say?

I would say my life is a hell of a lot better than when I was drafted in the 1970 lottery and my choice to not pursue a student deferment. And I would hope that I and the other service organizations that have assisted in changing the lives many service members that where damaged by the many wars/battales they served in. I have heard countless members say when they got out they had no idea of the benefits they earned. In my 20 plus in assisting Vets get what they rightfully deserve from a grateful nation that may have changed the notion that this country has abandoned them.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-05-2024, 10:27 AM   #5
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,945 Times in 1,566 Posts

I'll try and keep this from getting too long and drawn out but I don't see how I can. My Dad's garage was called the "American Legion South" because all of Dad's ( Navy Vet) buddies always hung out there. I was lucky enough to have grown up around many great men although I was too young and stupid to know it at the time.
Looking back, it amazes me how some of "the guys" handled life and others just couldn't take living. But they did, as best they could for the sake of their families and for a couple their best wasn't very good.
When my time came, I got my notice to go for my physical and luckily (for me), Nixon abolished the draft so I never went back.
The only time I can ever remember my Dad talking "politics" to me, he said that he "didn't like this whole Viet Nam thing and hoped that I wouldn't have to go". Within the next couple of days, two of Dad's buddies ( Dick, 101st Airborne he would "joke" about missing D-Day but he made it to Bastogne and Becker, AAF he spent the War in the nose of a B-17 flying over Europe and was drunk most of the time that I knew him) took me off to the side and told me that if I had to go to 'Nam, they would bust me up so bad that "they" wouldn't take me.
My "Sweetie's" Dad (Frank, USN) was off shore on D-Day on the heavy cruiser Quincy (the Quincy has quite a history!) shelling the beaches. He told me once that he didn't see much only a couple of German fighters strafing the ship.
They're all gone now and I wish that I had shown them much more respect than I did. I really miss them all.

I should mention that my son is an Iraqi War Vet and I'm every bit as proud of him as I am of these other great men I've spoken of today.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 03:06 PM   #6
Barry Polley

Liked 576 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
I'll try and keep this from getting too long and drawn out but I don't see how I can. My Dad's garage was called the "American Legion South" because all of Dad's ( Navy Vet) buddies always hung out there. I was lucky enough to have grown up around many great men although I was too young and stupid to know it at the time.
Looking back, it amazes me how some of "the guys" handled life and others just couldn't take living. But they did, as best they could for the sake of their families and for a couple their best wasn't very good.
When my time came, I got my notice to go for my physical and luckily (for me), Nixon abolished the draft so I never went back.
The only time I can ever remember my Dad talking "politics" to me, he said that he "didn't like this whole Viet Nam thing and hoped that I wouldn't have to go". Within the next couple of days, two of Dad's buddies ( Dick, 101st Airborne he would "joke" about missing D-Day but he made it to Bastogne and Becker, AAF he spent the War in the nose of a B-17 flying over Europe and was drunk most of the time that I knew him) took me off to the side and told me that if I had to go to 'Nam, they would bust me up so bad that "they" wouldn't take me.
My "Sweetie's" Dad (Frank, USN) was off shore on D-Day on the heavy cruiser Quincy (the Quincy has quite a history!) shelling the beaches. He told me once that he didn't see much only a couple of German fighters strafing the ship.
They're all gone now and I wish that I had shown them much more respect than I did. I really miss them all.

I should mention that my son is an Iraqi War Vet and I'm every bit as proud of him as I am of these other great men I've spoken of today.

Gives you much respect! Something thats not done now by the public Billy. Sad!

Back then processing war and battlefield after wasn’t dealt with. And after talking with my uncle's in depth - WW2. I don?t know how they kept their minds! But they did!
Liked
Old 06-05-2024, 09:35 PM   #7
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,295 Times in 610 Posts

As we approach the anniversary of another milestone in American History I can't help but feel proud to be an American. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May we ALWAYS Honor and Respect ALL those who gave there time and sometimes much more to help keep our country FREE.

With all that being said I can't help but agree with your grandfather Bret, who would have thought that this country would be in such a mess as we are now. Sure there have been issues all through the ages, but now, My God, what sad shape we are in.

I, along with many friends and many of you PRAY DAILY for this country to find it's way. My favorite song is "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." It starts out "Mine eyes have seen the Glory of the coming of the Lord." What a great line - - God Bless ALL of you and just maybe our world will get better, maybe not for us but for our kids and grandkids and so on. Thank You for your time.

Just for reference I was born 5 and a half years after D-Day

Last edited by Carguy49; 06-05-2024 at 09:50 PM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #8
RonP

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

Hi,

I checked the Smithsonian Channel last night and they have two new D-Day shows on today,....produced in 2024. I watch every show about WWII at least once.
Thanks
Ron
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #9
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,762 Times in 864 Posts

Indeed today we honor their service and sacrifice. The greatest generation knew those values in such an intimate and personal way. My Dad served in the Pacific and other family members primarily served in the Army. Mother in law was an actual ?Rosie the Riverter? in Seattle. My closest Uncle was actually captured and led several other guys in their escape to safety. He simply never talked about the terrors of combat and alcohol was his nursemaid until he quit cold turkey 20 years before his death (a feat that marks his courage). The values were the hallmarks of a culture founded on family and religion. Those very institutions are under constant attack by the far left which is seemingly winning the culture war. In many ways our political ?leaders? have especially abandoned sacrifice and service in their greed for power and control. Compare the mindset of those at Normandy to subsequent warriors?

"They did not know even the simple things: a sense of victory, or satisfaction, or necessary sacrifice. They did not know the feeling of taking a place and keeping it, securing a village and then raising the flag and calling it a victory. No sense of order or momentum. No front, no rear, no trenches laid out in neat parallels. No Patton rushing for the Rhine, no beachheads to storm and win and hold for the duration. They did not have targets. They did not have a cause. They did not know if it was a war of ideology or economics or hegemony or spite. On a given day, they did not know where they were in Quang Ngai or how being there might influence larger outcomes. They did not know the names of most villages. They did not know which villages were critical. They did not know strategies. They did not know the terms of the war, its architecture, the rules of fair play. When they took prisoners, which was rare, they did not know the questions to ask, whether to release a suspect or beat on him. They did not know how to feel. Whether, when seeing a dead Vietnamese, to be happy or sad or relieved; whether, in times of quiet, to be apprehensive or content; whether to engage the enemy or elude him. They did not know how to feel when they saw villages burning. Revenge? Loss? Peace of mind or anguish? They did not know.

They knew the old myths about Quang Ngai -- tales passed down from old-timer to newcomer -- but they did not know which stories to believe.
Magic, mystery, ghosts and incense, whispers in the dark, strange tongues and strange smells, uncertainties never articulated in war stories, emotion squandered on ignorance.

They did not know good from evil."

In light of such and more recent debacles in Afghanistan is it any wonder that recruitment targets are missed so mightily and we have Guardsmen deployed around the world? The military leaders pay as much attention to DEI and pronoun training as they do to making warriors. Can we ask our military and their families to sacrifice so much today?

All we can do is demonstrate service and sacrifice in our families and community and pray for our nation. Doing that honors those that hit the beach 80 years ago.

Last edited by jmcarter; Yesterday at 07:53 AM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote