HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-23-2024, 05:36 PM   #71
goinbroke2

Liked 187 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: U/SA 302 ffffford build

Poop.....
While loading I gave it a couple shots on the road and when I hit 3rd, it fell on it's face. That turned out to be (hopefully) low fuel, heard the pump surging and looked at the guage, 1/8th tank, hopefully all that it was.

But, still not running "crisp". Getting popping though the headers when at steady rpm.
Popping almost goes away when I move the timing around.

Pulled one plug wire at a time and found #1 to not affect the engine idling as much as the others. I did a compression test and all were between 125-135 including #1 which was 130. Did a leakdown and it's...not good.(valves leaking) I don't even want to say the numbers, lol. So instead of spending $500 or so for the weekend, just for it to be aggravating for me and others, I think I'm going to stay home and start doing my good heads.

The first S/SS race is 14 June so hopefully I'll have lifters by then (so, SO hard getting parts here!) then I'll have the right cam/intake and carb and will only be missing the right converter.

Took the sparkplugs back to canadian tire, got a set of E3's because it was the only thing they had 8 of.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:45 PM   #72
B/S 428

Liked 144 Times in 30 Posts

I built the same combo several years ago and it's my backup stocker, I'd recommend autolite 25 spark plugs or equivalent. Brian Seaberg 627
B/S 428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:11 PM   #73
goinbroke2

Thanks Brian, unfortunately here, all you can find is two of these or one of those��

I got E3 plugs (with the nhra logo, lol) only because that was the only complete set I could buy!
Maybe I’ll special order some autolite 25’s as backup. Not sure if the heat range with autolite now but I think years ago when it called for 45’s I put in 43’s as they were colder. If that’s still the same, are these 25’s the heat range? Wow, that’s cold, call that a “wife’s plug”��
Old 05-24-2024, 07:02 PM   #74
B/S 428

Liked 144 Times in 30 Posts

I get them off Ebay NOS USA autolite 25 and 45 for the comet, they work pretty good..I would post a picture of my mustang on here but this page is complicated..
B/S 428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-24-2024, 10:46 PM   #75
Dave Noll

Liked 220 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/S 428 View Post
I get them off Ebay NOS USA autolite 25 and 45 for the comet, they work pretty good..I would post a picture of my mustang on here but this page is complicated..
I use the same and get them the same way, for my Cougar. And get extras. ;-)
Old 05-25-2024, 02:34 PM   #76
Cglrcng

Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/S 428 View Post
Brian, it really is not that complicated to post pics here. You just need to resize the pics, transfer your pics to a computer to a folder in your pics folder, create another new folder in your pics folder, name the new folder resized pics.

Then highlight and right click, choose copy for the pics you wish to resize and post. Then go to the folder labeled resized pics, right click again choose paste. Now you have the pics in that folder. And highlight all of them again in that folder, up top choose edit. Then it will ask you what program you wish to use to edit the pics, choose Paint.

Paint will now open and the first pic will show up very large. Up top choose pixels and put a dot in it on the left. Up will come 2 sets of numbers for the vertical and horizontal pixels (choose the largest number of the 2, in that box, change the number to 800, it will change both numbers. Hit the X to close the window upper right, then it will ask you if you want to save it, choose yes, that pic will close opening the next pic highlighted, just keep repeating the editing process all to 800 pixels. Always choose save, once all the pics you chose are resized then you are ready to post them here.

Choose the paper clip on the toolbar up top, a window will open on the left, go to that resized pics folder using the search button there. Find the pic in the resized folder, click upload and watch it upload, then choose the other pics, once all are uploaded, close the window on the left. Return to the toolbar up top, hit that arrow to right of the paper clip and choose 1 of the 2 ways to post it, in the text box or as a thumbnail attached to the thread, and they will post. Then submit reply and the pics will show up in your or his thread.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:14 AM   #77
1matcoman

Liked 287 Times in 114 Posts
Talking Re: U/SA 302 ffffford build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglrcng View Post
Brian, it really is not that complicated to post pics here. You just need to resize the pics, transfer your pics to a computer to a folder in your pics folder, create another new folder in your pics folder, name the new folder resized pics.

Then highlight and right click, choose copy for the pics you wish to resize and post. Then go to the folder labeled resized pics, right click again choose paste. Now you have the pics in that folder. And highlight all of them again in that folder, up top choose edit. Then it will ask you what program you wish to use to edit the pics, choose Paint.

Paint will now open and the first pic will show up very large. Up top choose pixels and put a dot in it on the left. Up will come 2 sets of numbers for the vertical and horizontal pixels (choose the largest number of the 2, in that box, change the number to 800, it will change both numbers. Hit the X to close the window upper right, then it will ask you if you want to save it, choose yes, that pic will close opening the next pic highlighted, just keep repeating the editing process all to 800 pixels. Always choose save, once all the pics you chose are resized then you are ready to post them here.

Choose the paper clip on the toolbar up top, a window will open on the left, go to that resized pics folder using the search button there. Find the pic in the resized folder, click upload and watch it upload, then choose the other pics, once all are uploaded, close the window on the left. Return to the toolbar up top, hit that arrow to right of the paper clip and choose 1 of the 2 ways to post it, in the text box or as a thumbnail attached to the thread, and they will post. Then submit reply and the pics will show up in your or his thread.
Could you please post this in English for us computer illiterate folks?
1matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 05:40 PM   #78
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,578 Times in 1,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglrcng View Post

Good luck.
Way ,way too complicated for a neophyte .

Download Postimage.org for free

Open, click on Choose Images.
Click on image from your particular folder
When next page opens, click on icon all the way to the right. on the third line from the bottom.
You have now copied your image to a URL that you can paste here .
Can be any size and you can re-post that pic again at a later date, which you can't do with C/R's pic server.

(Reader's Digest version, for you old timers)
Old 05-29-2024, 12:26 AM   #79
goinbroke2

Went to Armstrongs and picked up lifters (why didn't I go there first??) and started working on the heads. Some guides were worn out, other were just worn, but, I'm replacing all the guides just because.

Couldn't get over the difference between stock locks and the comp ones as well as the stock springs compared to the beehive springs! Seat pressure is 192# and over the nose is 350#! Once all the guides are done, I start doing the valve job. One thing I didn't expect was how deep the valve would drop when I ground it out to have a 30* seat. Might have to replace some seats, not sure until I get going. (or do people change all the seats when building stocker heads??)

Anyway, 1:31 AM, time to stop for tonight I guess, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	70033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	70034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	70035  

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	70036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1767.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	70037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	70038  

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	70039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1777.jpg
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	70040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	70041  

Last edited by goinbroke2; 05-29-2024 at 12:35 AM.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 06:48 AM   #80
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 825 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
Went to Armstrongs and picked up lifters (why didn't I go there first??) and started working on the heads. Some guides were worn out, other were just worn, but, I'm replacing all the guides just because.

Couldn't get over the difference between stock locks and the comp ones as well as the stock springs compared to the beehive springs! Seat pressure is 192# and over the nose is 350#! Once all the guides are done, I start doing the valve job. One thing I didn't expect was how deep the valve would drop when I ground it out to have a 30* seat. Might have to replace some seats, not sure until I get going. (or do people change all the seats when building stocker heads??)

Anyway, 1:31 AM, time to stop for tonight I guess, lol.
Why 30 degree seats?