HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #231
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A990 Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
This almost looks like it could be either the old Mr Tomato or The Funny Car A/FX'ers...both front & rear wheelwells were cut very crudely then someone spray-bombed it orange.
Post Mr Tomato is very probable since the plate on the front bumper crudely reads "Texas Badman" and the Mr Tomato car had very close ties to the "Kansas Badman" Ted Detar back in the day. Notice how far the HEMI has been set back into the firewall and also how the rear 1/4 window posts of been removed for weight savings?
a990hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #232
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Some before & after shots of the Mr Tomato A/FX Dodge...so did this one start out as a factory A990 car.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 04-06-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #233
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Who said that Sox & Martin didn't also have a 65' A-990 S/S Plymouth Belvedere,,,,

This went along with the 65' 2% AWB #2700 lb Hardtop car,,,,

Here's the S&M '65 A990 Plymouth sedan after the rear wheel base mod's were done...

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 04-06-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #234
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a990hemi View Post
Post Mr Tomato is very probable since the plate on the front bumper crudely reads "Texas Badman" and the Mr Tomato car had very close ties to the "Kansas Badman" Ted Detar back in the day. Notice how far the HEMI has been set back into the firewall and also how the rear 1/4 window posts of been removed for weight savings?
Notice the remarks you made above and now compare them to this old photo of The Funny Car A/FX Plymouth...but the other car was a Dodge not a Plymouth.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 04-06-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #235
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Bill Flynn's called the Yankee Peddler was another '65 A990 Dodge Coronet that was converted into a A/FX altered wheel base car...shown with cross-ram & injected Hemi.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 04-06-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #236
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Notice the remarks you made above and now compare them to this old photo of The Funny Car A/FX Plymouth...

The red car that I posted a pic of earlier is definitely not a Plymouth since the shape of the rear 1/4 panels gives it away as originally being a Dodge Coronet. Most competitive racers discarded the same body parts in order to save weight and engines were slid closer and closer to the rear for better weight transfer as race season went on.
a990hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #237
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Here's some of a '65 Belvedere called "Plymouth A-Go-Go" also with the rear wheels moved forward...don't know if it was a real A990 car though, might be.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 04-06-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #238
Dan Bennett

Liked 359 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's the same '65 A990 Coronet, but it's supposed to be unrestored...

Yes, the car I looked at was absolutely original. It was the first year I was associated with the Musclecar Nationals and was when we decided to branch out from the previous single race at Bowling Green.

Norm showed up with the car at our show at Union Grove and blew us all away. I can't remember the back story of the car, but it raised no flags that he might not be telling the truth about the car. Back then in the late 80s there weren't even that many people who remembered what a A990 was, let alone how to properly restore one.

He had loads of paper work with the car and I remember him showing us how the hood scoop seal panel had been shipped in the trunk. I also remember how impressed I was with the trim. The clear anodizing on the aluminum (like the grille, window trim) was perfect with no clouding of any sort let alone any fine scratches. The car couldn't have seen much stress from the environment.

I had come from the Corvette hobby where I had already learned to appreciate originality. There is no doubt in my mind that I was looking at a completely untampered, unmodified car. I never heard much about the car after that one event but I do remember Norm was from Wisconsin.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #239
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Another '65 A990 Plymouth Belvedere of Pee Wee Wallace called "The Virginian" also had the wheel base conversion done to it...

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 12-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #240
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bennett View Post
Yes, the car I looked at was absolutely original. It was the first year I was associated with the Musclecar Nationals and was when we decided to branch out from the previous single race at Bowling Green.

Norm showed up with the car at our show at Union Grove and blew us all away. I can't remember the back story of the car, but it raised no flags that he might not be telling the truth about the car. Back then in the late 80s there weren't even that many people who remembered what a A990 was, let alone how to properly restore one.

He had loads of paper work with the car and I remember him showing us how the hood scoop seal panel had been shipped in the trunk. I also remember how impressed I was with the trim. The clear anodizing on the aluminum (like the grille, window trim) was perfect with no clouding of any sort let alone any fine scratches. The car couldn't have seen much stress from the environment.

I had come from the Corvette hobby where I had already learned to appreciate originality. There is no doubt in my mind that I was looking at a completely untampered, unmodified car. I never heard much about the car after that one event but I do remember Norm was from Wisconsin.
Dan, that was a good story...must have been something to see that car close up...I think it's been for sale a couple of times since then but unsure who currently owns it.