HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2024, 02:24 PM   #21
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 536 Times in 260 Posts
Default Re: Ways to check on the use of illegal devices

so your feelings are hurt by my reply to Don, but his feelings aren't.

At least be honest, your feeble comments have nothing to do with my reply to Don and everything to do with the fact that you don't like that I don't race stock/super stock yet I'm allowed to opine on this forum.

That said, this thread nor my reply is about Don's honor.

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-25-2024 at 02:29 PM.
1320racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 02:37 PM   #22
Eric Merryfield

Liked 478 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Don, we do compete at the BIG $ bracket races, both locally and the Flings and I can tell you without doubt that no one that competes at these events cares if/what illegal devices maybe in use by some racers and the proof is that these races are typically sold out in less than 3 minutes! So all this talk about tree readers, down track position indicators, matty box, etc. is nothing but internet forum noise largely posted by racers like yourself that don't compete at these races. That said, running dead on, cutting .00x lights and taking a few thousands stripe is commonplace and no big deal in the year 2024.

That said, I do believe that ARC modules are being used by some with the Grid.
Having been to a Fling, those events are on another level.......and sell out because they are BEYOND well run......It ranks in my top ten for full event experiences......Along with Ken's classracer nationals, Tyler and Brians Class Racer Revival, many National Opens in canada, did one bracket race last year at Epping, wasn't concerned at all about illegal stuff, a lot of that stuff is a crutch at best at least in 1/8 mile.

For class racing 1/4 mile I would have an issue with spotters at top end.....The grid with ARC clearly is a no/no for actual class racing,

For non class racing and testing: I can see where it could add a function of safety and be a useful training, and testing tool, and would help keep someone from crashing, which is always bueno.

My guess is that 99% of any illegal activity in stock and superstock is under the hood and not to be found further down car........
Old 01-25-2024, 03:24 PM   #23
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 536 Times in 260 Posts

There is no rule prohibiting spotters
1320racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:28 PM   #24
DG

Liked 349 Times in 86 Posts

I had not heard of the ARC referenced above so I looked it up. For those that don't know what the MSD ARC linked with the Grid can do, this is from MSD's website:

"OVERVIEW
Now there is even more control with the PN 7761 module for the Power Grid System Controller. This module sets rpm limits based on slew rate (rpm acceleration) or based on time since launch. All of this is programmed seamlessly in MSD View.

The ARC module stands for Advanced RPM Control, it basically allows your race car to remain consistent, pass after pass, controlling your engines rpm curve during a pass. This helps you get down the track quicker and far more consistent. By using the MSD View software we can control the rpm down to a hundredth of a second and control the driveshaft speed for maximum traction. We can also pull out timing for a split second should we encounter tire slip. Set 3 different timing Retard curves and a Rev Limit Curve to control wheelspin."

Nice video explaining the system here:

Basically, it appears you set the driveshaft rpm curve in the Grid for a given ET, dial in and like magic you run within a hundreth of your dial in.

Last edited by DG; 01-25-2024 at 03:50 PM.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-25-2024, 03:34 PM   #25
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 376 Times in 82 Posts

I know I will receive hate mail but, GET RID OF THE GRID in Stock
Old 01-25-2024, 03:50 PM   #26
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 322 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
so your feelings are hurt by my reply to Don, but his feelings aren't.

At least be honest, your feeble comments have nothing to do with my reply to Don and everything to do with the fact that you don't like that I don't race stock/super stock yet I'm allowed to opine on this forum.

That said, this thread nor my reply is about Don's honor.
you really are a horse's backend. every statement you make is condescending. you are so full of yourself, that you do not realize this.

Last edited by David Lee; 01-25-2024 at 05:11 PM.
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:56 PM   #27
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,194 Times in 1,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bender View Post
I know I will receive hate mail but, GET RID OF THE GRID in Stock
General Regulations; 8:3 and 9:2. It isn't legal the way that I read it.

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 04:13 PM   #28
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 905 Times in 330 Posts

I pulled on the scales one year during TT's at the US Nationals. At the time they had hired some young guy to look at electronics. He looked under my car and noticed a drive shaft sensor. He ask me where that was going to. I told him the ECU. I was busted. He had me take it off and hand it to him the next time I came across the scales. At the time ARC was not invented, but I was informed it's always been against the rules to tie your engine management to a counter (Drive Shaft Sensor). If there is no recorder (Racepac), there should not be a drive shaft sensor on the car. ARC will not be of much use without some way of counting speed/distance. I have installed many ah systems for S and SS guys and usually Drive shaft sensor comes up. I always relay what happened to me and I always get the same reply "The heck with that then" !
Old 01-25-2024, 04:22 PM   #29
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,194 Times in 1,609 Posts

Jeff, the way that I've always understood it, if you have a "data logger" (racepack), you can't have anything between it and your ignition box. The Grid goes between your "data logger" and your ignition box and lets them communicate with each other.
If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will let me know.

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-25-2024, 04:37 PM   #30
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 905 Times in 330 Posts

Hi Billy. I think the original intention of that was so you didn't have to buy multiple sensors for each system.