Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-06-2024, 03:50 PM   #21
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,558 Times in 431 Posts
Default Re: The Compulink AUTO START System once armed to :ON

And then there's this lol!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/761688246114778

Last edited by Bobby Fazio; 05-06-2024 at 05:34 PM.
Bobby Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 03:09 AM   #22
Cglrcng

Liked 135 Times in 71 Posts

Oh Bobby, you are killing me brother, I don't have Fakebook, ok where was that Final so I can find it please and watch it, as you have my curiosity up on overdrive. Ty
Old 05-07-2024, 05:57 AM   #23
Cglrcng

I got past the login window. Either the Sure Start switch was not thrown, which technically does not require it to be thrown until at least both are pre-staged (the guy in the left lane absolutely went deep, backed up, then re staged, easily seen), or it was not used (the Sure Start System at that track), or the starter had his head anywhere but in the game and on the job at hand. Please tell me that was not called a good race for driver in the left lane.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:10 AM   #24
Cglrcng

Ok, I feel like I am standing on a bridge over a river, a lot of racers are standing around up here, I think some of you, at least 10, have participated in the thread, and ty to every one of the 10, some multiple posts, but we have almost 4 000 views so far, lots of people have their phones out just taking video.

Some of you for sure in my mind know exactly what's next, maybe many don't but I am not jumping in the river, I am going to calmly walk across the bridge, full steam ahead, alone if necessary, just hoping I have company in the end.

When I was 18 and first cracked open an NHRA Rulebook that was borrowed, I was able to prep my racecar so well for my first trip to the track, not as a longtime fan, but as a future racer, and tech was a breeze (just 1- 2 min repair), and I was tetched and ready to race.

Why, because published rules are great. Unless you find (especially if accidentally), a conflict in the rules. And if you do, it is your responsibility to publicize it, point it out. And attempt to get it changed. Rules should reflect reality, not fantasy.

Last edited by Cglrcng; 05-07-2024 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Cglrcng is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-07-2024, 07:01 AM   #25
Cglrcng

Let's look at race proceedure rules, does anyone even see in that section the mention of the Compulink Sure Start System as used in "Qualifying?"

What does the "Qualifying"section read?

Does that section reflect the reality of before, or after the addition of the Compulink Sure Start System?

It isn't that hard to fix the rules to reflect reality, it is simply adding the system, and moving a few words around, to actually reflect the reality of real world the way it is now, oh yeah, and has been for the last 15 yrs., and keep Division Directors from having to make on the fly decisions for no good reasons (when weird stuff happens), if the wording reflects reality.

Ok, not a hypothetical situation, real world, On Saturday April 20, 2024 (2 racers in EF/S Class woke up at Las Vegas and both were entered to run in D7-4 the 2nd race of a double w/class racing. But Q1 is first and just before 8:30 AM, see the Div 7 NHRA Saturday at Las Vegas replay of live feed on youtube, and move slider to 44:00. Start it and stop it at 45:00 (ok my angle, I am at the ready line, in the right lane, getting ready to watch my scheduled only competitor in EF/S make his Q1 pass (our class race is due to happen in a few hrs C1which is also Q2. Now start the vid, watch the tree, and the car in the left lane Bill O'Conner in his Slow Roller. At 45:54 what do you see? Pre-stage and red correct?

Ok, now, the camera did not show all, here is what I saw, the 2 competitors both pre-staged, Farmer on the right staged, O'Conner in left lane attempted to stage, but the car would not roll forward, he was attempting to, from side view just before Farmer leaves, and after O'Conner hand comes up off the steering wheel as he just timed out and got a red light foul, but he was just a few inches from fully staged, tyranny was broke. I have seen a pic of the shrapnel in his pan, no doubt in my head what happened, we have same transaxle, carrier pin dropped out of the spider gears.

At that point in time, I had no idea what happened except it was not good, and I am headed out next, 1 pr between us. And I am still looking at his pre stage bulb and red on at 45:58 right now. And Farmer is just entering the 1,000 ft beams. At 46:03 car is locked in forward and reverse, as starter begins rocking it.

Then the race timer hits the screen at 46:08., and they back his car off.

Question of the day...Was that a legal qualifying attempt?

Back to my view, they both Pre-Staged, Farmer staged, O'Conner attempted to stage, 2 times, then timed out red, tree activated and came down on both sides, and for a split second O'Conner side had Pre-Stage Blue upper/white line lit plus green plus red. By the time camera view went from Side view Farmer front bumper in the air to the rear view again, it was pre-stage left plus red, car stuck, never fully staged. The Compulink Sure Start System :On found him after that 3rd light turned on. (It happened to him, I am just affected outside of feeling horrible for him after I find out why later, bur I am only tangentially highly affected later).
Old 05-07-2024, 07:15 AM   #26
Cglrcng

While they are pushing him off, the lane master shuts us both off at the ready line under the arch, my temp was perfect so I shut off, engine, water pump switch, fan switch, set brake...Now, everything I have done for a couple of months was feared toward a 1 and done EF/S Class race, a re-defense of a lucky one I got away with last October at Bakersfield, not whining here, just understand the crap at this point going through my head...all while hoping he can get whatever it is fixed in the next 3 hrs....Ok, lane master fires us up, It fires, pulls us out fast, I push the 1-2 shift out too far just in case he gets it fixed I need to know where that is too far, I hit it, too far...and after the finish line I realize water pump/ fan switches are off. Dang it, a.005 light wasted. And I turn on the switches, temp was just fine.

Time to go find O'Connor and he says tyranny is trashed, car is being pulled backwards, and clicking bad, I know that sound, not good at all, and offer to help pull it out, but no way we can do it in 3 hrs., the last word at that time was he was going to track down D.D. Matt and ask to withdraw. I had another bit of contact with him, making the offer again, we traded phone numbers, and said If he decided to not repair,, then call me I would attempt to husdle up bodies to help him get it on the trailer.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:57 AM   #27
Cglrcng

Next up, my deep dive back at my pit spot into the rulebook.I jump in find Race Proceedures Section 2, and everything is covered (well, all except of course not the Compulink Sure Start System that was put into affect 15 years ago, which jumbled up the whole ball of wax). As you no longer have to actually stage a car to foul out. You don't have to actually stage a car (if the system is used as designed), to make a legal qualifying attempt and break your car, roll in too far, roll back once prestaged, or fail to stage as long as your competition in the other lane on the pass turns on bulb 3 after the Compulink Sure Start System is armed to ON by the starter.

I have zero idea at this point where that will leave me. (I feel terrible for him, since 1975, I can be a fierce competitive racer. From Ready line to finish line), but everywhere else, we are family folks. I was ready to dive in and get dirty to help him ready his car for Sunday morning, and no way we can fix it in 3 hrs, but having all day and night (except for lane call of C1 I was his if he wanted, and everything I could help him with).

Ok, I wait, read the rules, go see him again, and his car was next to the motor home in his pit, he is not there, so I go to base of the tower and donate to RFC for the Q1 sheet, the Q1 incrementals sheet, and the Pairings sheet for Stock class, turn to Incrementals and it is there O'Connor entry number, name, class, and no incrementals but broke at the end w/ the time. Look at the Q1 qualifying order, his entry and pass do not appear there at all, then look at the Class pairings sheet for Stock and I appear all alone in EF/S. (His entry is no longer listed).

I now assume that he approached the Div. Director Matt, and pled his case and he allowed him to withdraw.

Book says. Sometimes a D.D. needs to make decisions at the event and we have to accept them, their decision, without fail, without question, and it is non-appealable. (Though there is an official appeal process available later...at a $1,000.00 posting).

So, I arrive 3rd car to the C1 lane call, I am told by lanemaster Ron, I have Mr. Snow, fastest car in the Auto Combo, vs my now slowest car in Auto Combo of 6 cars. I ask Ron. If O'Connor was granted the withdrawl from the event, Ron says I have no idea what you are talking about.

I state there were 2 of us in EF/S, until Q1, he broke inches from the stage beam, but was prestaged, fouled out, and I now appear alone on the pairings sheet in EF/S, was he allowed to withdraw.and he said Matt could tell you, but he laddered you in the Auto Combo, so it appears so.

Find your dance partner and pair up. I did (while I had something for another EF/S car at Vegas 3/10ths quicker), this time i had nothing for Mr. Snow at -.500 under, did my best, cut a decently good .012 light, ran -.166 under, lost to his -.475 under .117 light. A good race but out after C1.

Sunday was a much better day, there was no EF/S Wally winner at the D74 race for 2024 sadly for both of us. (Worse for him no doubt, broken transaxle).

I accept that bad situation, but I still do not understand why he was not assigned a 28.00 second time on Q1, left on the sheet, and allowed to fix his car, must accept the fact that he was allowed to withdraw and must accept that decision made on the fly by the rules by the Division Director, and held by the same race proceedures rules to not argue with the decisions made.

Disappointed am I, but rules are rules...Or, are they?

Last edited by Cglrcng; 05-07-2024 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 05-07-2024, 08:43 AM   #28
Cglrcng

Tuesday night following the D-73, and D-74 races Bill. O'Conner texts me, said he was highly surprised that I was not given a bye in EF/S Class as Division Director Matt did not allow him to withdraw, that he denied the request at the track on Saturday.

Now, I am not only shocked, I am angry. (As I also knew Carl Downard had also broken his I/S Vette (I was also sad for Carl, any breakage is rough, right before Class Elims. Really rough), on his Q1 pass and his competition also received a bye in both Class, and in E1. I made that nasty post in the Mopars at Vegas thread about 10 mins after finding out about the withdrawl denied situation. Looking back it wasn't the time to post it. (But, I meant the either or, just should never have said anything like "The Bean Counters", I regret I typed that, but I said it, and did not go back and edit it out, it looks like it was rectified at least 1 way.

Bill fired off an e-mail to D.D. Matt, I did the same, each pled his case, mine was a list of questions, his another attempt requesting a withdrawl (it sure appears at least by the points listing, that it was granted post race after that Tuesday). BTW, as of now, neither of us has to my knowledge received a written or verbal response from Division Director Matt, though some action was taken post race.

It appears they are no longer holding the D74 race against him by the points assigned. But, not a single answer of my multiple questions, not a negative response, just zero response so far. No communications.

Then right after I hit send on my questions to D.D. Matt of Division 7 it hit me, this whole issue is caused by the instituting of the Compulink Sure Start System ( research began, I rememberit was long ago, found out Season begin 2009...and I sent Matt another mail asking if that was the actual issue?

Still over the last 2 weeks, zero response to my questions, and then I go research the system vs the rules fully, and boom, it isn't even mentioned in the race proceedures rules Section. At all.

I cannot fault a Division Director, his job is made that much tougher by the rules not reflecting race reality.

The stupid rules as concerns Race Proceedures after 15 yrs needs Ammending, because the rules do not reflect reality, it puts all the D.D.'s in a bad spot (as well as racers), and if this can happen to us, it can (has possibly in the past 15 years), happened to everyone, many, some / can again happen to anyone at one time or another. And it will happen again, less to the Pro's, more often to those categories w/Class Racing.

The order of starter signal, and stage has been changed as it relates to every race when using the Compulink Sure Start System, as it relates to the start, and Qualifying sections.To when the incomplete pass 28.00 second assignment plays into qualifying results, etc., and to a qualifying attempt is charged to a registered competitor.

It isn't that hard to reword and do the Ammendment(s) to the race proceedures ruleset, and it needs fixed ASAP, get rid of the conflict(s) in the ruleset.

The rules need changing now, just as bad as the system with the tree needed changing back then (in 2008).. Get rid of the gray, and bring it back to black words on a white background, and simply make the words reflect the reality we all race under w/ the Compulink Sure Start System in the Race Proceedures where it belongs, as it affects Qualifying, it affects the Qualifying Attempt(s), and the incomplete pass sections along with what constitutes a legal run, and when a competitor may even request a withdrawal from an event.

It affects the entire section in many places, but the way it now reads, and the actual conducting of the event proceedures are in conflict by the missing, and misplaced wordings. (Simply wordsmithing). Updating .

The situation happens when technology progresses, and the Ammendment of rules fails to simply keep up. But, it should be corrected sooner, rather than later. NHRA please fix it!

Now, that is has been pointed out, there is a big issue, please help me pressure NHRA rule makers to fix this simple issue, so all will know exactly what the correct process is in the future.

There is more in depth info out on the net as to the exact types of variables the Compulink Sure Start system uses, and it is a lot of what leads to the varying questions that were posed in the thread, it was designed to keep the guessing at the tree to a minimum and not start timers at a stage beam blink, or turn of the wheel, and make it more human like.

I will post more links tomorrow, but getting the rules to reflect we even use the system should be priority 1 right now.

Last edited by Cglrcng; 05-07-2024 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and a few minor additions for clarity.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:49 AM   #29
Cglrcng

I will edit to fix that last post later, right now it is 5:48 AM, and I need coffee, and my eyes are whacked out. Sry all, thanks for reading a novel.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:57 AM   #30
Cglrcng

I hope I am not coming off whiney, or crying over spilled milk, rules right is my mission.

Disappointed yes, over it yes, things could have been much worse I realize in hindsight...I look much worse than Bill's entry on paper, but rest assured, I know what the car is capable of at Vegas and I had made changes, little changes, about 5 of them, the things Class racers can and do often do to pick up enough to compete in class. And I was willing to push the car, to max capable for 2 passes Q1, and C1 competition for a 1 and done trophy run.

It would have been a dead up tree battle, side by side at the stripe, hands in the air battle. Basing it on his .37/.27 the day before I have 2-3 10ths at Vegas in the car, I just don't yet have a half second under there, and I know it. I was willing to run it a qt low on oil 5W-20 for 2 passes (Q1, C1 and done), and at only 135 Mile's on the fresh engine build, not ready to do so for 4 runs (Q1, C-1-3), it would take in the Auto Combo and after I showed alone on the class pairing sheet (assumed Bill was withdrawn), I saw Mr. Snow's Q1 pass was -.500 (I cannot run a half a second or more under there yet, close no cigar, barring a miracle, I put that qt. of oil back in, left most of the other changes made, and headed for the lanes not knowing if I had a bye or was laddered into the Auto Combo, found out soon enough,, took my shot at the tree, good enough on my end, but had nothing on the stripe end as I drove it like Q2, not balls to the wall as that wasn't going to do it, and I knew it.

Looking back, I am glad now as if I would have been able to run with him, I would have (hindsight is great, I had no business running him (Mr. Snow should have received the C1 bye, as he was fastest in the Auto at 5 cars, and I should have received the EF/S bye). It would have possibly turned out differently if I could run a half second or more under based on the lights we cut, then I would feel 2" tall now knowing what I know. So, sometimes things work out for the best. It still hurts, but rules getting right eventually is a lot more important, time now to get the car faster, better luck next time. Some people those trophies do not mean much, to me, at this point, after sitting out 2.5 decades, closer to end than middle of life, they mean a lot, maybe too much, crap a single dance on the top end w/ a really fast car, or a slow car, and a round win are golden. I am finally on the right (green), side of the tree and not dead late (I have been both, by a tiny bit, and by extremes), and I am excited to finally pull my head out and get back into the game, especially in my turtle of a car. Just to go out there a couple of rounds competing is special. Now, I am looking forward to improving the car no matter the costs.

And hopefully improve communication starting today.