Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #41
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Roller Rockers in Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch man View Post
they are legal not mandatory right? If you cant afford them just keep the same setup instead of bitching.
hell they are cheaper than the "stock" stuff on most big blocks anyway
Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #42
dartman

Liked 68 Times in 41 Posts

well if they get rid of the heads-up rule,we all can save some money.as long as you can run the index,all would be good.
dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #43
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Like I said. Now, something else will break. You took at 10 amp fuse out in one location, and replaced it with a 30 amp fuse. Now, the 10 amp fuse in another location will blow.

Constant escalation. Just what we need with falling car counts and an economy in the crapper.

More money, more breakage, more cheating, more RPM. Great move NHRA. How will you screw it up next?

I'm glad you're happy, Jeff. Especially since you're NOT racing Super Stock, while we ARE racing Stock and Super Stock. Now I need to spend more money on Stock, when I haven't had a valvetrain failure in over 5 years.
Alan,
Respectfully, I answered a question requiring "who asked for this" and showed I, as I know others have, asked for this...while I raced in Stock. I gave the reasons. Some will agree, some will disagree. Moot point at this point as apparently NHRA has accepted this. Crying over the past or future is somewhat meaningless but you do have a right to voice your opinion.
Secondly, I am still an NHRA member and have a SS competition license which is still current. I have, and continue to spend a hell of a lot of money on getting my car back on the track. The length of time is beyond my control. And there is no rule in the NHRA rulebook that defines lengths of absentia as acceptable, or not. Bottom line, I have a car, I have a license, I am a member.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #44
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie c View Post
I have not raced in stock elim.for several years(1975),however when I raced I always tried to play by the rules. Since I have started reading
this forum,it has made me think of the posibility of dusting the old car off and
getting back into the sport. Rules changes like this would probably
hinder my return to the stocker ranks,it just makes things more costly and possibly less reliable..
I agree with the guys that have stated; improving the rocker arm situation,will just create another problem down stream.Currently Stock eliminator is far from stock,dont make it worse. ed
Eddie,
As an "Old Timer", you can probably relate to having to buy or find a bucket of OEM rocker arms and going through the entire bucket to get the allowable lift. Maybe you haven't. I have. And so do others that look for the most from their combination. If this rule is for real, you can buy ratio correct rockers from $150 to $300 new. Used can be bought all day long for much less. No, I don't buy that this would keep you out. Prices have escalated and payouts have dropped. It aint the old days!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #45
MikeFicacci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"We've had enough rule changes. We've had enough escalation."

Someone should have told NHRA that right before they created AA.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #46
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,945 Times in 1,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFicacci View Post

We have been telling them! They don't listen to us. They listen to the manufacturers that want to sell the latest "trick of the week" and are willing to become sponsors.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #47
eddie c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
Eddie,
As an "Old Timer", you can probably relate to having to buy or find a bucket of OEM rocker arms and going through the entire bucket to get the allowable lift. Maybe you haven't. I have. And so do others that look for the most from their combination. If this rule is for real, you can buy ratio correct rockers from $150 to $300 new. Used can be bought all day long for much less. No, I don't buy that this would keep you out. Prices have escalated and payouts have dropped. It aint the old days!
Jeff,The rule concerning the improved rocker arms would surely not keep me out,what I meant was if significant changes like the rockers keep on comming,then when and where does it stop.We can rationalize anything,
however as the motors and chassis get more complex it continues
to ,in the majority of cases, create additional expenses.In my book
stock eliminator was a place that you could race on a reasonable budget. Tuning and engine/chassis combination skills were the main
ingredient to winning in stock eliminator. It seems the class has gotten
pretty far away from that philosophy. ed

PS- yes I used to beg my car buddies to go through their rocker arms to find the ones with the best lift, plus con the Chevy parts guys
to take back new ones with poor lift ,it didnt always work!
eddie c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #48
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,093 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFicacci View Post

Interesting perspective. Not seeing the similarity, nor a parallel.

A "new" class with a half pound weight break (actually, there was a 7.5 pound class, long ago) is somehow the same as a fundamental change in the engine rules?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #49
MikeFicacci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The bottom line is that every one has a different idea of what NHRA should/should not do to make it better. I thought AA was a terrible idea as did a lot of other people. You seem to think allowing roller rockers is a terrible idea. I want an aluminum head and intake. At the end of the day, NHRA has proven time and time again that they are going to do what they want. Does the roller rocker rule effect my car if it actually takes place? In a minute capacity I'm sure. Do a lot of guys run roller rockers right now at Opens and Divisionals to avoid failure? Absolutely.

Last edited by MikeFicacci; 10-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.
MikeFicacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #50
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Unhappy Re: Roller Rockers in Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman View Post
well if they get rid of the heads-up rule,we all can save some money.as long as you can run the index,all would be good.
THATS JUST PLAIN STOOPID!!!!