Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-11-2023, 05:23 AM   #61
Terry Cain

Liked 225 Times in 104 Posts
Default Re: Flat tappet lifter failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Polley View Post
Terry I’m retired like you and I get it. I’ve never failed a cam or lifter yet….. I hope never. Lately I’ve had some costly issues not related to part fail.
I like others see it as a huge cost increase as well as another way to rpm these things. That brings on taxation of parts. Like the rest of the changes -it doesn’t stop there.
What’s next?
Barry,
Change is inevitable.
I feel your pain about no where to race in Cal. Does that mean your gonna quit? Prob not. Would that be considered change? Get the point? Some changes we like, some we don't.The lifter issue is not going away. Hell, cam companies won't even suggest a lifter because of failure rates. I bet half the guys running flats are using 15 year old Shubecks. That's a gamble I don't want to do, again. lol
Old 10-11-2023, 06:37 AM   #62
Stan Weiss

Liked 556 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fite View Post
So can you elaborate?
Feel free to PM...
I'm here to learn.

It comes down to the different way that the information encoded in the lobe is transferred to the valve train. If you look at a flat lobe and a roller lobe that will produce identical valve lift curves, you can see how much different the lifter lobe interface is.

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:42 AM   #63
Stan Weiss

Liked 556 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Cain View Post
Barry,
Change is inevitable.
I feel your pain about no where to race in Cal. Does that mean your gonna quit? Prob not. Would that be considered change? Get the point? Some changes we like, some we don't.The lifter issue is not going away. Hell, cam companies won't even suggest a lifter because of failure rates. I bet half the guys running flats are using 15 year old Shubecks. That's a gamble I don't want to do, again. lol

Terry,
You are running "Stock". Just how many of your engine parts came from the OEM as part of that engine?

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:42 PM   #64
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

It is very easy to say that "change is inevitable" when the change in question is of your personal interest. There is a difference between inevitable and preventable. Big changes like this that would effect everyone are definitely preventable. In no way am I saying that flat tappet cams and lifters are superior to their roller counterparts. The issue would be me trying to come up with at least another $1,000 just to try and remotely keep up with my competitors with much deeper pockets. At this moment in time, I doubt that any lobes for, example, a flat tappet sbc with a .390/.410 lift exist in a roller profile. And I highly doubt that they are going to want to design new lobe profiles for free.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:37 PM   #65
Terry Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
It is very easy to say that "change is inevitable" when the change in question is of your personal interest. There is a difference between inevitable and preventable. Big changes like this that would effect everyone are definitely preventable.
WRONG. It would effect aprox 40% of stock. Remember, flat tappet are the minority now.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:46 PM   #66
Terry Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Terry,
You are running "Stock". Just how many of your engine parts came from the OEM as part of that engine?

Stan
Well let's see.
Stock 50 year old head castings.
Stock 50 year old intake casting.
Stock 40 year old OEM oil pan and Timing cover.
Stock 50 year old Carburetor.
Stock 40 year old rods that have been reconditioned.
Stock 50 year old crank that has been reworked.
Seems the few things like valves, springs, cam, lifters, rings, pistons, and bearing are about all that isn't OEM.
OH, stock 50 year old valve covers.
Really not sure what your getting at with the question??

Last edited by Terry Cain; 10-11-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Terry Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:56 PM   #67
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
WRONG. It would effect aprox 40% of stock. Remember, flat tappet are the minority now.
So you're saying that the current roller cam cars wouldn't be effected by this? How about them trying to figure out how to make their cars faster when suddenly they are being outrun by cars that used to have flat tappet cams, even though in a lot of classes, but not all, the fastest cars in said category are currently flat tappet combos?
Old 10-11-2023, 09:00 PM   #68
Terry Cain

Has anyone converted Shubeck Hyd over to solids?
Old 10-11-2023, 10:18 PM   #69

Liked 928 Times in 241 Posts

Quote:
Will you stop with your 40% quote. I looked at Indy qualifying last time you wrote that and found 3/4 of the field were older cars..You then told me it wasn't a fair race to judge. I just looked at our D1 maple grove divisional, and with 118 cars. 70 of them were 1983 and earlier.
You sure like to slant your agenda. You need to come up with a plan to make a cam survive in your car. Maybe get with John, who although supports your cause, stated he has 8000 rpm big blocks that survive. Haven't you been trying to sell your car? Are you building a roller cam car if you do?

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:40 PM   #70
john ancona

Liked 103 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Will you stop with your 40% quote. I looked at Indy qualifying last time you wrote that and found 3/4 of the field were older cars..You then told me it wasn't a fair race to judge. I just looked at our D1 maple grove divisional, and with 118 cars. 70 of them were 1983 and earlier.
You sure like to slant your agenda. You need to come up with a plan to make a cam survive in your car. Maybe get with John, who although supports your cause, stated he has 8000 rpm big blocks that survive. Haven't you been trying to sell your car? Are you building a roller cam car if you do?
You would be much better served if you , and many others on here with your misinformation about what I support or don't support , I would hope you are smart enough to stop assuming, you have no clue about many topics that are discussed on here ,you out of all people would ask others to stop with there quotes when yours ,and your partners are false ,one sided , and worst of all you lack any knowledge on what is really going on with the lifter challenges. You may want to catch the next bus ,and come out here to Pomona I will be there to discuss with you and NHRA any ,and all the facts