HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #71
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 689 Times in 267 Posts
Default Re: IHRA tournament of Champions

I keep reading all the talk about Bad Lanes and Track prep. Just a few observations about track prep from a guy that did it for years.. Have you ever noticed How the track crews usually drag a track? Have you ever noticed that when a track goes away it is usually one lane bad or real bad and the other just OK or sometimes good??
When I was a track owner I noticed that my tracks would do stupid things, esp when humidity was a problem. I started looking and trying different preps and traction bite solutions.
I found it was better to drag both lanes the same way. Have you ever noticed they usually drag out on one lane and back on the other. (that is the quickest, easiest way for the tractor driver) Most of the times a driver will drag out on the right lane and come back on the left. That makes the lay of the rubber different. It is just like combing hair one way on one side of your head and then the other way on the other side. You are dealing with a shear condition of the track rubber and the drag rubber. It's just like when a racer rotates his tire because they "Go Away". The sheared rubber takes a set in one direction. You rotate the tires to reverse or scuff the rubber the other direction. I saw that my tracks responded the same way. I started dragging opposite the way that the car tires were pulling the track in each lane. When there was humidity I would cut the VHT with MEK or gas to lay down a thin layer that didn't trap moisture or turn into a goop. I know it was quite a few years ago when I ran my tracks and the VHT of today is not what it was back then, but something I did then may be of interest today.
I didn't post this to be critical of anyone or anybody. I just felt compelled to share my experience..
Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #72
schultz

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Another thing IHRA has to realize is for us guys up north. This is our off season now. My home track is now closesd untill April. I want to freshen up my stuff. I don't know about the rest of you, but my engine guy is always busy. I need to get my stuff to him now so I can have it back in time. Am I supposed to sit and wait until they make up there mind what to do? A reschedule in early 2010 will screw up alot of off season plans for alot of racers.

Craig Schultz
schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #73
Michael Lyons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

send em an email or letter like they're askin you to.
Michael Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #74
schultz

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I did!
schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #75
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultz View Post
Another thing IHRA has to realize is for us guys up north. This is our off season now. My home track is now closesd untill April. I want to freshen up my stuff. I don't know about the rest of you, but my engine guy is always busy. I need to get my stuff to him now so I can have it back in time. Am I supposed to sit and wait until they make up there mind what to do? A reschedule in early 2010 will screw up alot of off season plans for alot of racers.

Craig Schultz
I rest my case Michael.

And too late, it already is a joke (and no Chip, I did not qualify, so I know my vote doesn't officially count, but being the dumb-***** that I am, I couldn't resist voicing my opinion).

And nobody needs to agree with the dumb-***** comment, as I already know I are one...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #76
PAT 3340

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: IHRA tournament of Champions

Just to put in my 2 cents, I was in the all-star race and the t.o.c. race and I totally disagree with the whole win a race and your in thing. I dont belive that if you win one race go to rockingham win another one your the champ. I belive it takes hard work and dedacation to be a true champ. this being said I lost first round of the allstar race because of a bad race surface and had to drive my *** off not to wreck or take out the other guy and they knew they had a problem and continued to race HOW FARE IS THAT? The whole year depends on this one race at this one track that you cant get down!!! I dont have any kind of good idea of what to do that would please everyone but hopefully next year they will do something that is more fare to determine a true champoin.
PAT 3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #77
BOO BOO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: IHRA tournament of Champions

Well I know how alot of you feel. I drove 900 miles to get to the ROCK for the TOC. I qualified for the race by coming in 3rd in our Div. I figured I would run the last race for a few hits on the tree. And maybe win a few bucks at it. Well 2nd round in s/r the man I was racing turned hard left into the wall and totaled his car, I was lucky I was in the right lane. Then we had to race 1/8 mile which was fine with me, I have great data there also. The time run they gave us I had to abort car got VERY LOOSE. Well 4th round I watched the pair in front of me take up the whole track, they then shut me off to check the track. A fellow racer came up to me a said DON'T GO DOWN the track is unsafe someone is going to get hurt. Well the starter said the track is SAFE. Well I went about 300 feet and put the car side ways had to lift and lost. When I got back to my trailer the racer who went down before me was waiting to see what happened to me, he had the same deal so we went to the tower to talk to Scooter. Scooter said he thinks the track was unsafe and he will re-run us in the morning. Latter that nite I was called back to the tower and was told I can't re-run the track prep guy said he thinks the track was ok untill my car went down then it was unsafe. The racer that beat me told me maybe he is a better driver than me maybe, and maybe he has a better car than me maybe but we will never know because we NEVER had a fair race. The track was fine in the begining the it went away and never came back. How should we finish this thing, I really don't know but all I know is my motorhome is in storage, all the cars are torn down, motors and trans are sent out. And 900 miles away from Rockingham and never ran for the TOC. Hope eveyone has a safe off season and happy holidays.
Chuck Siegler
5328 S/R
5328 Q/R
BOO BOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #78
Rick Blake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT 3340 View Post
Just to put in my 2 cents, I was in the all-star race and the t.o.c. race and I totally disagree with the whole win a race and your in thing. I dont belive that if you win one race go to rockingham win another one your the champ. I belive it takes hard work and dedacation to be a true champ.
AMEN Brother
Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #79
S/ST4707

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Re: IHRA tournament of Champions

It is my understanding the decision will be announced next Monday. Sid
S/ST4707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #80
TCOONLY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i got my e mail this morning regarding the toc this morning. doesnt seem like a bad result to me