HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #71
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield
Default Re: Time to Revisit the Super Times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
Race in TD if you want to go fast....that's why it was brought on....
Thank you. And for your door car guys, they have a class called Top Sportsman that you may have heard of.

And don't forget, there's also Comp Eliminator too if you want to go fast in your dragster OR door car....
Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #72
TS310C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see both sides of this. But would like to add the following comments.

1. Going faster WILL NOT bring in more spectators. The tracks need to do this. Most of the tracks we race at do a very poor job of marketing our events. Look at Norwalk, they do a great job and they get spectators. I don't think we will EVER pack the stands, but we could have a few more with some help from the tracks. But to be clear, changing the class will not help.

2. I do see where people are coming from about the indexes being 25+ years old. All the other classes have adjusted several times since inception. I would not be opposed to making the classes faster and I think round numbers would be a great idea.

3. Ultimately I will race the classes regardless of what they do. I am there for me, not for the fans.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #73
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with all three points. On #1, I'll agree that it won't bring in more spectators, but it will confuse/annoy the one's who are there substantially less. It's annoying for racers and fans to be on the stop for 1/3rd of the run. If it was just a second or so, I think we'd all like it more.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #74
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

If you really want to see how receptive the racers are to this idea, run a single non-sanctioned race with the lower indexes and see how that works out. I can tell you EXACTLY how it will work out:

Super Comp
  • Lower the index to 8.00
  • All the drivers that can't go at least 8.00 won't show up - dragsters will have no place else to race except ET classes
  • A good portion of the field will be on the stop for about 1 second, and will immediately realize that they're now the slowest cars in the field, and that it COMPLETELY SUCKS to be chased on every single run
  • The cars that can run 6.80 to 7.30 will pretty much dominate, and the slower cars will go away saying, "I either need to spend a bunch of money to speed my car up, or I'm not coming to one of these races again."
Super Gas
  • Lower the index to 9.00
  • All the drivers that can't go at least 9.00 won't show up - most of the door cars couldn't make the 2600 lb. or 2800 lb. weight limit in S/St
  • A good portion of the field will be on the stop for about 1 second, and will immediately realize that they're now the slowest cars in the field, and that it COMPLETELY SUCKS to be chased on every single run
  • The cars that can run 7.80 to 8.30 will pretty much dominate, and the slower cars will go away saying, "I either need to spend a bunch of money to speed my car up, or I'm not coming to one of these races again."
Super Street
  • Lower the index to 10.00
  • All the drivers that can't go at least 10.00 won't show up - they won't have any other place to race except ET classes
  • If you institute no weight limit for S/St, more former S/G competitors would drop down to S/St, but many existing S/St drivers would drop out completely because of what they would feel would be an unfair advantage to lighter cars
  • The cars that can run 8.80 to 9.30 will pretty much dominate, and the slower cars will go away saying, "I either need to spend a bunch of money to speed my car up, or I'm not coming to one of these races again."
So, by lowering the indexes I see that you will accomplish 2 things:

1. Drive competitors away
2. Force competitors that stay to spend more money if they want to be competitive

Sounds like a GREAT idea!

OR, you could leave S/C, S/G, and S/St alone, create a new 7.90 category, and the racers that WANT to go faster can CHOOSE to go race in that new class (rather than forcing every .90 driver in the country to change). Alternatively, you can say screw the new 7.90 class...if somebody wants to go faster, they can spend THEIR money to go faster in T/S, T/D, or Comp Eliminator.

And my opinion is NOT self-serving. My Corvette goes 9.30's at 2600 lbs., so I could easily run 10-flat S/St if that's what it came down to. The new dragster I'm building should go 7.20's, so I wouldn't have any problem running 8-flat S/C either (at least initially, until the arms race started again). I just don't see the benefits to lowering the indexes, and driving existing (mostly low-budget) competitors out of the sport.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #75
JThomas

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That full page rebuttal by Jason should certainly be the final word. NO CHANGE, EVER . Moderator close the thread.
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #76
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
that full page rebuttal by jason should certainly be the final word. No change, ever . Moderator close the thread. :d
Old 12-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #77
Jeff Beckman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Beckman

OK would one of the stir crazy racers please start a new thread that we can all banter about. Jason needs to write essay's, or he wouldn't be Jason.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #78
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I'm ready to close it.....he's right......

Except that he forgot to mention the higher speeds.....

Can't we move on....
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #79
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I will start a new thread.....lol
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #80
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: Time to Revisit the Super Times?

Why dont we just try............................................... .. and that will work.