HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #251
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A990 Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster View Post
It's my car Hemi Moose. It was purchased through a broker. The owner was Norm Brandes. He has owned the car for 33 years.
I can send you a photo with my dog eyeing the car with suspicion. He hadn't heard a hemi before.
There are a lot more photo's available on Show your auto website for those unaware.
I searched unsuccessfully all weekend trying to find a mid to late 80s Musclecar magazine that featured Norm Brandes' white A990 Coronet when it had chrome Cragar Super Trick wheels on it. I remember that article like it's etched into my brain but I can no longer find the magazine in my library. Might you know which article I'm talking about or have it yourself? I started frequenting Union Grove around 1989 and saw Norm drag racing his immaculate Dodge regularly at Da Grove's Mopar gatherings back then. Norm would always draw a crowd while he performed super smoky burnouts in the water box!
a990hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #252
duster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a990hemi View Post
I searched unsuccessfully all weekend trying to find a mid to late 80s Musclecar magazine that featured Norm Brandes' white A990 Coronet when it had chrome Cragar Super Trick wheels on it. I remember that article like it's etched into my brain but I can no longer find the magazine in my library. Might you know which article I'm talking about or have it yourself? I started frequenting Union Grove around 1989 and saw Norm drag racing his immaculate Dodge regularly at Da Grove's Mopar gatherings back then. Norm would always draw a crowd while he performed super smoky burnouts in the water box!
The paperwork I received was the original invoice from Grand Spalding, a report dated 1978 from Walter Redman verifying the car as authentic, etc. I did not receive anything on the cars previous history. I have learnt more from the last couple of pages of this thread than I knew previously.
I was told the original owner, whose name appears on the invoice, was a Barrister and raced only as a hobby, hence the car remained relatively unmodified.
I would be interested to see the article if it shows up a990.
duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #253
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will continue my search for the magazine article that featured Norm Brandes' A990 Dodge. That one article is the one that told of the original owner being crushed to death by the car while he was swapping the original headers for aftermarket ones. Jeff Wick, son of midwest Pro Stock standout Jim Wick, may be able to shed some light on your white A990 Super Stock as well since the Wick family was the primary source for race Hemi tuning in the Fox Valley, WI area bitd.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #254
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #255
Dan Bennett

Liked 353 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a990hemi View Post
As I said in my earlier message, I saw the car at Union Grove during a Musclecar Nationals. We were allied with Muscle Car Review and they always sent staff to shoot the event and get features. I'm pretty sure they did a piece on the car but I'm just about positive that the car had steel wheels on it when I saw it.

I still haven't totally recovered from my last move, so my collection of vintage magazines is still in various boxes. Sorry that I can't help with looking up the issue.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #256
duster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Harmon Friend's "Harms Way" stalked Norwalk. Set a speed record in 69. Great story located @ texas classic cars of dallas, sold cars.
Car was sold around July 11. It was an invite to the Norwalk reunion. Did anyone see it run?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harms way2.jpg
Views:	1952
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	11211   Click image for larger version

Name:	harms way6.jpg
Views:	1987
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	11212   Click image for larger version

Name:	harms way7.jpg
Views:	1965
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	11213  

Name:	harms way3.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	11214   Click image for larger version

Name:	harms way5.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	11215   Click image for larger version

Name:	harms way9.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	11216  

duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #257
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Detroit area A/FX and Super Stock standout Dick Smith.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #258
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

a990hemi,
There sure were a lot of '65 A990 Dodge & Plymouth's that were converted back then...I wonder how many of them actually survived today, because most of them were hacked up junk...what about the UFO A/FX car, heard someone found it recently.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #259
GRAPE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Early 1965
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	555 FCARPET.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	11224  
GRAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #260
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
a990hemi,
There sure were a lot of '65 A990 Dodge & Plymouth's that were converted back then...I wonder how many of them actually survived today, because most of them were hacked up junk...what about the UFO A/FX car, heard someone found it recently.
I'm geussing that single most contributing factor to the rarity of '65 A-990 cars has to be the match race madness that occurred in '65-'67. Chrysler only built 11 AF/X cars and abruptly abandoned the entire program after the very first NHRA national event of '65. The '65 season for Chrysler was very unique in the fact that the entire motorsports budget for that year was commited to drag racing and primarilly NHRA's Altered Factory Experimental class. Chrysler's fundamental flaw was building the AF/X fleet in such secrecy that no one at the NHRA new of their specifications or intentions and the factory cars were deemed unlawful and "funny" looking by the tech officials at Phoenix. Chrysler's motorsports marketing group would never again allow such a intensive factory package car program to occur and the quickest way for an independent Fuuny Car racer to acquire an altered wheelbase match racer was to purchase an A-990 post car and perform the wheelbase mods himself.