HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default solar panel(s)

I would like to get some "real world" experience, from you racers that are using solar panel(s) to maintain the battery in your trailers. What do you use and how did you hook it up?
I am looking at a small maintainer/charger. Do you always need to use a charge controller, to prevent overcharging your batt?
My batt. (Optma yellow top) is hooked to the tow vehicle charge system, when I am running down the road, but I would like to keep the batt. up at the track, and when I have the trailer idle at home. TIA

Last edited by rallye bob; 06-30-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Miss-spelled word....
rallye bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: solar panel(s)

Solar panels work, just not very well. Would you try to use solar to recharge your race batteries ? Are you the same guy that posted this question on the bullet ? ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj310 View Post
Are you the same guy that posted this question on the bullet ? ---Trevor
I'm not the OP on the bullet, but I have posted on the thread....... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=481735&page=2
Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

The bigger the panel(s), the more wattage they'll produce. You won't keep your battery charged with a single 30" X 60" panel if you are running a weather station, lights, a radio, etc.. It will recharge it eventually as you drive down the road (assuming you mount it on the roof), or while sitting in the driveway.

Here's something that caught my eye- flexible roof panels. Each one is 15 inches wide and 16 feet long. They have an adhesive back, intended for mounting on hard surfaces like a trailer roof. Each roll produces 124 watts, so eight of these will make about as much wattage as a small portable generator. These flexible panels are not as efficient as glass panels, but they are cheaper. Here's a link to a vendor's description on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2335wt_928

Last edited by Tony Curcio; 06-25-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Tony Curcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Curcio View Post
The bigger the panel(s), the more wattage they'll produce. You won't keep your battery charged with a single 30" X 60" panel if you are running a weather station, lights, a radio, etc.. It will recharge it eventually as you drive down the road (assuming you mount it on the roof), or while sitting in the driveway.

Here's something that caught my eye- flexible roof panels. Each one is 15 inches wide and 16 feet long. They have an adhesive back, intended for mounting on hard surfaces like a trailer roof. Each roll produces 124 watts, so eight of these will make about as much wattage as a small portable generator. These flexible panels are not as efficient as glass panels, but they are cheaper. Here's a link to a vendor's description on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2335wt_928

These are 24V.................
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
rallye bob

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I purchased this unit at my local Farm & Fleet, along with a 10 amp controller...
I will give it a try and report back.........
http://www.wirthco.com/watt-solar-pa...1128-l-en.html
Old 06-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Doug Domm

Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts

My only experience with a charger like that is we have an old beater truck on my sons acreage that has a very iffy battery in it and as long as that charger has been on it that thing will still crank like a fresh battery no matter how long the thing has been sitting. It simply plugs in the lighter and lay the charger on the dash. We also have a couple that Volkswagen used during shipping of vehicles. I have no idea who makes them but those will charge a run down battery in a day or two. They are only slightly bigger than the first one I commented on which looks like the one you are talking about.
Doug Domm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a less than 1 amp charger why would you need a 10amp controller ? The only way solar is economical is if utility power is not available in my opinion. ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Dinsdale

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

My Pace trailer never came with any provision for charging the trailer battery off the truck. The only one that get's juice is the trailer break-away battery. I'll bet a lot of other trailers are the same way and people don't know it. Upside is just like an RV with a battery isolator you won't kill the truck batteries while at the track for a weekend.

I put a small maintainer/charger in the generator compartment and plug the land line in while at home. The trailer battery will charge either when the gen set is running or I'm connected to another source. Last battery was good for 6 years.