HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-24-2024, 04:31 PM   #11
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,650 Times in 504 Posts
Default Re: current cost of having good stocker head work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
Wow!

I am sure it depends on the head but how much does a pair of Super Stock heads run these days?
Probably not a whole lot more. You don’t have to disguise the work on a super stock head

Last edited by Mike Pearson; 04-25-2024 at 09:26 AM.
Mike Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:22 PM   #12
ProfessorRock

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

So since i started this thread,here are my first ruminations on the subject.
And i am really shopping for some headwork fairly soon, so not just yaking.
A. only 2 responses actually offered numbers $$
B.NO ONE offered any names.
C.so it makes me wonder if most everyone is delusional?
i started racing stock/SS in the 1960s,quit actively racing in the 70s but have been active helping others ever since.Nat'l record holders/nat'l event winners/World champions ect. No i am not ****ting you! So here is the problem as racers we all face.But seem to not admit.
D. Everyone thinks that his/her builder is the best (okfine) and they know all the Secrets. "Reality -there are no more Secrets among engine builders,(not since the internet)
they all know the same things,but hope their competition does not know this one little thing, suprise, they do.The real problem for racers and car owners is this.All of the faster cars are bending the rules like a rubberband
Now the nasty thing is ,when an assoc.say NHRA decides to actually enforce the rules as written,ENGINE builders dont get disqualified, drivers and owners do.i am not knocking anyone,perhaps the customers demand their car goes just as fast as Joe's car, so what choice does the builder have but to compete. I do not have a solution,maybe you do.
E# finally doesn't it seem strange that hardly any top engine builders posts on this forum.And in 15 yrs. or so i have never seen one advertise.They must be doing ok, don't you think.LOL
Old 04-24-2024, 08:38 PM   #13
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,049 Times in 276 Posts

When you pay for good Stock heads, you're usually paying for 20-60 YEARS of hard earned experience gained from long hours. You're paying for what people KNOW, just not what they DO. You're paying for their ability to work within the rules, and what will pass tech.

Plain shop time at any good repair shop is $250 per flat rate hour. Expect premium quality machine shop time to be well above that.

Parts are now at ludicrous prices, IF you can get them. And if your cylinder head shop can get them, it often means they bought them in advance, and tied their money up.

If you have not priced shop tools and equipment, you should try that.

I know what work goes in to a set of record holding legal heads. My friend does extremely nice work, and it passes tech. It's as close to perfection as human hands can make, and it's done with production heads that are worn out usually, and the tolerances are very loose on.

A good set of heads will have every chamber within 0.5cc, every valve height in the chamber within 0.005", every installed height within 0.010", and every stem height within 0.005". Take a guess how long it takes to learn to do it, and what it takes to make it happen.

Most guys doing "speed work" like to eat, like a roof over their heads, and they like to race, too.

Ask MJ Quinn how I know all of this.

By the way, MJ, missed you at the combo on Sunday.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:08 PM   #14
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 504 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grubbs View Post
Most engine builders I know will price that high because they don’t really want to do just the heads. They want to sell the whole package. Years ago we spent a crap load on money with an engine builder located in Houston, and did not qualify at a race🙄.

The moral of the story is to #1 choose your engine builder wisely, #2 treat it as a marriage (ie…don’t shop around after getting the product, stay with the builder till death do you part), #3 the chain is only as good as the weakest link, #4 money spent does not always equal et on the track.

For free I’ll also add…don’t eat in a hotel or sleep in a restaurant!
It’s ok Bill to say his name Allen “I’m a piece of ****” Sherman. The most useless person walking the planet. Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:08 PM   #15
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorRock View Post
So since i started this thread,here are my first ruminations on the subject.
And i am really shopping for some headwork fairly soon, so not just yaking.
A. only 2 responses actually offered numbers $$
B.NO ONE offered any names.
C.so it makes me wonder if most everyone is delusional?
i started racing stock/SS in the 1960s,quit actively racing in the 70s but have been active helping others ever since.Nat'l record holders/nat'l event winners/World champions ect. No i am not ****ting you! So here is the problem as racers we all face.But seem to not admit.
D. Everyone thinks that his/her builder is the best (okfine) and they know all the Secrets. "Reality -there are no more Secrets among engine builders,(not since the internet)
they all know the same things,but hope their competition does not know this one little thing, suprise, they do.The real problem for racers and car owners is this.All of the faster cars are bending the rules like a rubberband
Now the nasty thing is ,when an assoc.say NHRA decides to actually enforce the rules as written,ENGINE builders dont get disqualified, drivers and owners do.i am not knocking anyone,perhaps the customers demand their car goes just as fast as Joe's car, so what choice does the builder have but to compete. I do not have a solution,maybe you do.
E# finally doesn't it seem strange that hardly any top engine builders posts on this forum.And in 15 yrs. or so i have never seen one advertise.They must be doing ok, don't you think.LOL
PM me please
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:24 PM   #16
Bob Sherwood

Liked 332 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
Wow!

I am sure it depends on the head but how much does a pair of Super Stock heads run these days?
--- less because you don't need to hide your work
Bob Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:04 PM   #17
B/S 428

Liked 138 Times in 26 Posts

Why not just build your own stuff, that's what I do and my Comet runs pretty good. Brian Seaberg 627
B/S 428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:54 PM   #18
Henrys Toy

Liked 468 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: current cost of having good stocker head work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/S 428 View Post
Why not just build your own stuff, that's what I do and my Comet runs pretty good. Brian Seaberg 627
Good afternoon to all,
Not to take away anything from any of the talented Racers that are active in our sport, but if you look at the investment of tools and time , and factor in the failures - Cylinder Head work is often the most mis-understood work in a race engine. Any race engine, and understanding the relationships with the cylinder head , flow paths and the rest of the reciprocating parts in general, it is a very exhausting path.
Please take a moment and re-visit Darin Morgan talking at length on " Super Stock Hemi Head Tech " , and that only scratches the surface. Depending on the level of competition you are dealing with will depend on the amount of time spent testing and performing R&D. The folks that find the right path - worked pretty damn hard to get there.
Just look at you're investment in your car, trailer and towing equipment just to race your car, the cost of proper cylinder head preparation seemly large is still a small part of it. Look at what top shelf piston rings go for these days . The tooling just to cut seats is considerable. I'm not complaining - I do this because I love this stuff and want to learn what makes things "Tick"! You don't want to get into Camshafts, Lifters and Valve Springs do you ?
We all do this for various personal reasons, and that's what keeps many of us going, So the costs are what they are, we live in a Free Country and can still have the freedoms we still enjoy, so enjoy them!
Have a Good Day.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:51 PM   #19
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,634 Times in 1,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B/S 428 View Post
Hahahaha, I don’t know Brian, maybe because MOST of us didn’t receive a GENEROUS gift from NHRA ……
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:47 PM   #20
B/S 428

Liked 138 Times in 26 Posts

Wow, thanks for the disrespectful slam, never mind that I build everything on my car, rear end, rollerized trans, custom cylinder hone and ring pac, heads and seat work by me along with carb, 20 years of working on it, I went from running mid 15s to a best of 12.90 at 101 with a .355 lift cam so yeah it's been a gift...21 Wallys and #1 indy 2022 Ive never worked so hard to go so slow.
Brian Seaberg 627
B/S 428 is offline   Reply With Quote