HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2023, 10:04 PM   #31
Kenny Bomar

Liked 299 Times in 41 Posts
Default Re: $10,000 AA/S SHOOTOUT at 2024 US NATIONALS

I didn’t understand that is why I asked, it at that weight I couldn’t be competitive I hope there is a good turnout it should be fun !
Kenny Bomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:50 AM   #32
Kenny Bomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/GSI View Post
There has not been a AA/S car compete at Indy in over a decade. Of the 4 AA/S cars who ran in the NHRA last year, only 1 was a 450hp elephant car...the other 3 were A/S cars that usually ran A/S during the season. There is no active ZL1 Camaro's running with a stick as per Nitro Joe Stats in the NHRA. I believe, given the feedback from the racers in AA/S, that this weight platform will be well received. My goal is to get back the guys who have not come out to Indy for a while...although new competitors would be cool too.
I guess I’ve got the first zl1 manual 4 speed Camaro stocker , built my own engine and put it all together myself, ran it at Tulsa, St Louis ,and Dallas, it’s not real fast but I’m having more fun banging gears like I did in the 60’s without breaking something every other pass !

Last edited by Kenny Bomar; 11-02-2023 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #33
junior barns

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Years ago, Arnold Greene ran 9.60's in his 69 Camaro. For some reason I'm thinking he ran the ZL1 engine??? My memory is not to good anymore!
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #34
Mike Mans

Liked 300 Times in 48 Posts

It seems like a lot of un-necessary effort. If you're already making up your own rules and "race within a race," why not just make it an A/S shootout that is only open to the cars that you want to be eligible? You're going to make everyone go to a bunch of divisional events to get grade points to go to Indy, and you'll be so heavy for AA/S with an already challenging index that you're basically giving up the opportunity to qualify for the main event. I do understand the comment already made that if you're racing for $10k for class, the main event is not a big concern - but that's really why everyone goes to Indy in the first place right?

Apparently nobody with an LS has given you guys any support or appreciation in Stock yet, so just make it a "Non-LS A/S Shootout" and then you can also likely qualify for the main race as well? It's your playground, keep it simple and people will come.
Mike Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:17 PM   #35
Kenny Bomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior barns View Post
Years ago, Arnold Greene ran 9.60's in his 69 Camaro. For some reason I'm thinking he ran the ZL1 engine??? My memory is not to good anymore!
NHRA just approved the ZL1 for stock eliminator a few years ago I think all of Arnold’s motors were 396 ‘s
Liked
Old 11-02-2023, 09:45 PM   #36
Mike Mans

I’ve got a suggestion for consideration: How about everyone runs A/S at their posted minimum weights, and all of the LS combinations have to be 20lbs under B/S weight? This essentially gives all non-LS combinations a .15 second (150lb weight) advantage, and tips the advantage greatly in favor of the non-LS combos. And on top of it, FastShocks will post another $2,000 to the winner if this is acceptable and allows everyone to participate together like we have in the past.

Given what you saw this year, I don’t think anyone could argue that this would more than level the field.
Old 11-03-2023, 03:19 PM   #37
SS/GSI

Liked 521 Times in 84 Posts

Mike, we have had discussions with the racers who have attended Indy for the last two years as well as other racers in the AA/S and A/S community. All feedback for the AA/S shootout and the rules have been well received and supported by them. I will understand if some choose not to participate. As previously mentioned, this is another option for AA/S and A/S racers, participation is not mandatory. Tnx

Last edited by SS/GSI; 11-03-2023 at 03:21 PM.
SS/GSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 04:38 PM   #38
Mike Mans

That is pretty surprising that everyone is on the same page with your consolation race. For everyone that has supported A/S for years to take a week off of work, go to Indy, put in all of the effort it takes to be competitive and to win a consolation race with a sub-set of rules, may not win an actual Indy Class wally, or qualify for the race, just to avoid a set of cars that they feel have an advantage? Wouldn't it be a lot more logical to find an agreeable way to try and level the playing field?

I think all of us guys with an LS would be all ears to find a compromise that would give everyone a confident feeling of a leveled playing field. I really don't think anyone would feel a lot of pride to win a race with an asterisk that doesn't even include some of the competitive players.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:45 PM   #39
B Parker

Liked 2,315 Times in 455 Posts

Kevin Thank you and your brother for putting up this kind of money. Almost the key word is almost makes me want to put a stick in my car. Hope it turns out great for you. I think you could get some engine builders to kick in some money if it's one of their motors that win. Thanks Again Barry

Maybe this will inspire others to put up some money in other classes or another race. I have always loved running Top Stock in Division one with Dave Ley rules.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 03:18 AM   #40
Barry Polley

Liked 565 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior barns View Post
Iron 425 motor and I’m pretty sure it was in the 50’s.
Liked