HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 05-22-2022, 07:33 PM   #1
rlytch

Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Default Congrats to Willie Lytch 1st Wally

I want to congratulate my father Willie Lytch and JC Sloan for the win in Super Street today at the Rockingham National Open. My dad won't get a full-page article in the National Dragster because he's not a big well-known racer but he is to me. So thanks to this Class Racer's forum I have the opportunity to give him a small page that in my heart he deserves. I'm not a writer but here goes.

My dad Willie Lytch was a married teenage father of 1 working at a car dealership washing cars in the 60's trying to help support a young family. In between car washes instead of sitting around he would go into the mechanics bay and offer his help to the mechanics. The dealership owner took notice and sent him to GM school in Charlotte NC. He worked as a mechanic and eventually got into body work. He managed several dealership body shops and even ran his own service station. He retired from his work career in auto insurance. I'm very proud of where he started and the success my parents had in life.

My father has always loved hot cars, he had old Fords, Chevys, 442 Olds, Chevelle to name a few. One day in the 70s a 1967 Camaro showed up in the back yard with no front end. My friends used to tease me about the messed-up car in the back yard. That car turned out to be the 1300 original road miles car that my dad won in today. My dad and his 1st cousin JC Sloan ventured into a partnership some 46 years ago to turn this 1967 Camaro into a drag race car. There wasn't a lot of money in those days but they were able to piece this car together and finally got it running. It was a 4 speed car for years and when they put a faster engine and a powerglide in it I thought it was the most boring thing ever! No more wheelies in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. This car has seen a few changes over the years but it's well known locally for the car as well as my dad and JC's partnership. JC is quite the character and will make friends at ever race we go. They have won plenty of bracket races but the Ironman and Wally has eluded the team for years. My father has had IHRA quarters, semis and a runner-up. NHRA quarter finals but never that win. He has passed on good race blood as I have won some Ironmen and a divisional championship and my kids only get to race once a year and the son Corey has a runner-up and the daughter Kendra has a semi in the last 2 years.

Lately my father has not been able to race much due to my mother's health condition. He takes selflessly care of her and never makes much time to enjoy his passion and that's racing. When he is at the track he is at home. My parents have always taught me to treat others as I want to be treated and I have passed that to my two children. We take that to the race as well. I say all this to paint a picture of how emotional it was to get that call from my dad that he won a Wally. It has been a great road and I again can't be prouder. My dad may never get a big article or be well known but he is my race hero! Thanks dad!
Old 05-22-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: Congrats to Willie Lytch 1st Wally

Reggie that is a great story! Congrats to you and your father. i'm sure i remember him from my IHRA days, as i remember you and your car. You should try to post a picture of the car, him or the win. Congrats again!
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-22-2022, 11:47 PM   #3
rlytch

Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts

Thanks Keith! I have no idea how to post pics. If it works below is a pic of his car and Wally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dads 1967vmatxsloak_2491784544665-1-0.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	62866

Name:	67vmacocss05_1312947096310-1-0.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	62867

Name:	Dads Wally.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	62868
Old 05-23-2022, 06:09 AM   #4
Fowler Racing

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Have spent quite a few IHRA races with Willie. Great guy, congrats
Good job Reggie!
Fowler Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-23-2022, 06:38 AM   #5
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

Liked 262 Times in 124 Posts

Reggie love the story. Thanks for sharing and Willie congratulations on the win. The second one will come much sooner. Beautiful Car.
Robbie Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-23-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
rasracin

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Reggie.....I met your dad a few years ago at Rockingham and first learned of his and your family's rich racing heritage. I was thrilled to see that he had won his "Wally" this weekend. Thanks for sharing the journey that your dad has been on. I know how proud you are of him, all he's provided for the family and his racing accomplishments throughout the years. Three generations of family racing.....a lot of win lights. Thanks for creating a great Willie Lytch - 2022 Rockingham National Open Super Street Winner article!

Congratulations Mr. Willie!!!

Ron Strayhorn
SST 2109
rasracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
Dewdlebug

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Great story my friend. We are all happy for Willie and your entire family. I know that you, Kendra and Corey have also put many, many smiles on his face over the years and he's been proud of your own sucesses. Now it's our turn to call him "Champ". Well deserved.
Dewdlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-23-2022, 08:40 PM   #8
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 392 Times in 181 Posts

Great story thanks for sharing on congrats on your dads Wally !
Old 05-24-2022, 06:23 AM   #9
JHenney

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Talking Re: Congrats to Willie Lytch 1st Wally

Great Story Reggie! Congrats to your Old Man on the win! That’s so awesome!
I bet now he’s ready to chase it a bit more.

I really hope you guys get a chalk up a few more of those this year.
JHenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-24-2022, 01:20 PM   #10
sterling simmons jr

Liked 132 Times in 27 Posts

Great story Reggie Congrats Willie Lytch