HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 11-06-2023, 08:26 AM   #291
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts
Default Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

OK? Were you still "doing" coffee when you wrote this?

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:26 PM   #292
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

[QUOTE

There's a tire company in Indiana Pa. called American Racer Tires that makes road-racing and circle-track tires and makes some short slicks. I have to take some time and go check them out as none of the drag racing tire manufacturers make any really short stuff anymore.[/QUOTE]

Billy ,The American Racer tires are great . Used to be McCreary race tires. I used them for years on my own and others street cars I built . They worked great on the dealerships 9 second street AMX I built . lot of selection on compounds too, and they have a lot of "little" tire sizes.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:59 PM   #293
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
[QUOTE

There's a tire company in Indiana Pa. called American Racer Tires that makes road-racing and circle-track tires and makes some short slicks. I have to take some time and go check them out as none of the drag racing tire manufacturers make any really short stuff anymore.
Billy ,The American Racer tires are great . Used to be McCreary race tires. I used them for years on my own and others street cars I built . They worked great on the dealerships 9 second street AMX I built . lot of selection on compounds too, and they have a lot of "little" tire sizes.[/QUOTE]

thanks tom
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 10:35 AM   #294
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Ummmmm, they may have been "massaged" a little bit.
I'm going to be trying a pair of 22x8-15 M/T slicks (very old and NLA) on it this weekend because my young associate is giving me a "hard time" as I'm constantly going red in the car because of the really short (19.5 Hoosier NLA) slick.
I finally got out to a T&T yesterday. Not surprisingly the 22x8 tires slowed the car down almost exactly a tenth. However surprisingly, they also slowed my RT down about 6 hundredths! I didn't expect so much but it does keep my lights green! I guess that next season I'll be going to "tight" tracks with the 22" slicks and "loose" tracks with the 19.5s.

Oh just one more thing, I'm FINALLY getting zeroed in on getting the engine and trans temps "happy" together and my last run of the year I was rewarded with a 14.625 @ 92.69 MPH! .975 under! Take that Bob.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 11-20-2023, 11:38 AM   #295
Curt Rees

Liked 226 Times in 47 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

If a car is in the guide, it's a combo.....to be developed. Doesn't have to be a 8 second bomb.

Kudos to someone who will take an oddball combination (slant 6 for an example, Mike Jeffries) and make it run, and run well. And go rounds. Keep it up Billy, you are an innovator!!

Curt Rees
Old 11-30-2023, 09:53 AM   #296
Billy Nees
VIP Member

I've been spending some of my spare time moving some things around in the frontend of the Cavalier. The alignment is one of the things that I have neglected on this car simply because I've been keeping myself busy with other things. No excuses.
The car was always a bit "darty"(?) for lack of a better word in high gear but it always stopped straight and isn't at any point a "handful".
I'm setting the camber at zero for lack of a better place to start and assuming that trying to keep the slicks "flat" with the track can't be a bad thing. There is no real caster adjustment on these cars so I'm "slotting" my upper strut plate mounting holes to get myself some positive caster. I'll then be setting my toe and I'm thinking to start at about 3/16 or 1/8 out remembering that FWD cars toe IN under acceleration not out like a RWD car.
Then just the long wait for Spring!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 11-30-2023, 12:47 PM   #297
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

We had the Monte set slightly negative camber. As the front rose , it started to go positive. Adjustable struts slowed down this motion to where it didn't get to high , or too bad.
(Yes, the front rises, as it reacts to engine torque and rotation.)
1/8th out sounds about right, as the tires try to look at each other, from the torque reaction.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:03 PM   #298
Tom Meyer

Liked 298 Times in 104 Posts

We slotted the holes in the balljoints and used 3/8 grade 8 bolts to get caster. Never had a problem on dirt. Tom
Old 03-11-2024, 12:06 AM   #299
goinbroke2

Liked 170 Times in 56 Posts

I was going to say "how about an update Billy...then I saw you said you're waiting for spring too....I keep thinking all Americans have Texas weather 24/7/365, LOL!!

How about, "any more progress"?
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked