Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-28-2021, 07:31 AM   #41
F677

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Moving from bracket to Stock Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
I am wondering why you think the 302 combo would be a better combo to work with?

You can only run the Holley carb if you run the car as a Mercury in GT super stock.
Just read the 68 spec. You are right. 4300 either way in stock. Thanks for the heads up. I'm learning.....
F677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #42
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,456 Times in 1,957 Posts

Billy the AHFS are rules we get to play by, I understand how some parts work. Looking forward to the conversation, I’m sure it will go into the night.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #43
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,232 Times in 596 Posts

I got a chance to meet Devin in person at Pacific Raceways last weekend. Great guy with a very good attitude about running Stock. Asking many questions and listening to all the answers. Has talked to the right Ford guys locally. Knows what he wants to accomplish and will get there with time and the right help.

I believe Devin will do well and wish him the best of luck in Stock Eliminator.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #44
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Devin,
You may be better off running that car in super stock with that engine, you can run the replacement aluminum head, and it will be fine with a 9" tire and a caltrac. Whether you run stock or super stock, Vern Buchanan would be the person to talk to about doing the carb.
Good luck with the project
The alum head deal looks good from the HP rating standpoint but what sucks is what is needed to make them SS legal. They come from the factory with too large of valves which means you have to remove all 16 seats and weld them up to match the smaller seat diameters, lots of money involved with the changes to make them legal. I am building a '64 Comet for SS (almost finished) and stayed with the iron heads for budget reasons.

Jim Caughlin
SS6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #45
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

When I broke into racing I built a 68 302 for SS/GT using the AFR 1399 aluminum heads that are listed as legal in the book. It would cost a lot of cash to get the right size valves in those heads and there are only a few machine shops that will take the job on. I sold mine to Brian Thompson and run iron heads in bracket. Don't make that mistake.
On the subject of your combo being competitive heads up, take that with a grain of salt. Class racing is rather thin these days with the exception of a few big National events. Running under the index will move you up the ladder, but for the most part it's a bracket race of very nice cars. Just be reminded that you can't dial over your class index. A 12.99 index car can't dial 13.00.
Find Thompson, Seaburg and Biscay at Bremerton or Pacific. The best Ford builders and tuners around. Biscay is a Chevy/Bike guy, but he's fun.
Pacific Raceway: Bracket Kings This Friday-Saturday (money race)
Woodburn Raceway: D6 Bracket Finals first weekend in September.
I'll be around but my car is out for the season. Red 68 with white Shelby stripes and a real pissy oil leak.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #46
BRETV

Liked 598 Times in 148 Posts

Built a SS/LA a couple years ago and contemplated the aluminum head but the cost and work to make them legal didn't make sense. We ran the cast iron.

Bret Velde
2003 ??/SA
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote