HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #31
F677

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Moving from bracket to Stock Eliminator

Frank,
That's the all BS aside shot I like. I admit, I know I'm coming in as the bracket racer. My combo will not be easy, or likely to be 1 under. If it won't run .5 under I'll tear it apart and try again. Hoping for .8 to be honest. This is my "dip my toe in" start to big kid racing to see if it suits me. If it does, a more favorable (Ford) combo will follow. I hope to get to know you all soon, and you'll see that I'm no rub. If I'm in, I'm in, and I won't worry too much about the ladder.
F677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #32
fordteacherguy

Liked 147 Times in 47 Posts

Devin,

Looking over the 67 289 4v combo it has some good traits, +11:1 compression, heads are ok...typical small valve SBF head...making the Autolite 4300 4v work might be a challenge..small float bowl...there was a reason we called them toilet bowls in the.day...bone up on that particular carb tuning. Not a lot of stuff for that carb out there. Don't see it being a killer, but if you are determined...it looks like it could do the index...wish it had a better carb though...
fordteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #33

Liked 925 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordteacherguy View Post
Devin,

Looking over the 67 289 4v combo it has some good traits, +11:1 compression, heads are ok...typical small valve SBF head...making the Autolite 4300 4v work might be a challenge..small float bowl...there was a reason we called them toilet bowls in the.day...bone up on that particular carb tuning. Not a lot of stuff for that carb out there. Don't see it being a killer, but if you are determined...it looks like it could do the index...wish it had a better carb though...
Devin,
You may be better off running that car in super stock with that engine, you can run the replacement aluminum head, and it will be fine with a 9" tire and a caltrac. Whether you run stock or super stock, Vern Buchanan would be the person to talk to about doing the carb.
Good luck with the project

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #34
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Doesn't it make more sense to convert the car to a '68 and run the holley carb 302 combination?

One other thing, if you want to be taken seriously, might want to post your real name.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #35
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
Doesn't it make more sense to convert the car to a '68 and run the holley carb 302 combination?

One other thing, if you want to be taken seriously, might want to post your real name.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Oh sorry, just notice you did actually post your name.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #36
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,452 Times in 1,956 Posts

It might be advantages to read and understand all of the AHFS.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #37
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,784 Times in 1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
It might be advantages to read and understand all of the AHFS.
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah, hey Larry, the next time that we speak, would you please explain it to me? Do ya think we'll live long enough?

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:46 AM   #38
F677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
This is one area I am curious about. How tight are the regulations on proper body trim? A 68 has very different trim on the quarter panels and side marker lights all the way around. Are all proper hood, trunk, and side emblems required? The 68 302 setup would be a lot easier to work with.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:53 AM   #39
F677

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Devin,
You may be better off running that car in super stock with that engine, you can run the replacement aluminum head, and it will be fine with a 9" tire and a caltrac. Whether you run stock or super stock, Vern Buchanan would be the person to talk to about doing the carb.
Good luck with the project
It may be a better setup, but for now it's not the right time. If running divisional/national events works well for my family and I over the next couple years, be sure that I will build another bucket that will can go chasing ET records. This is my walk before I run entry to playing with you folks.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:44 AM   #40

Liked 925 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F677 View Post
This is one area I am curious about. How tight are the regulations on proper body trim? A 68 has very different trim on the quarter panels and side marker lights all the way around. Are all proper hood, trunk, and side emblems required? The 68 302 setup would be a lot easier to work with.
I am wondering why you think the 302 combo would be a better combo to work with?

You can only run the Holley carb if you run the car as a Mercury in GT super stock. The Holley was only avaliable on the Comets and Cougars. You would need to run the same carb as the 67 mustang combo but with 18 more hp, a little hard to overcome being the same engine except for 13 cubic inches.

The rules state that the car must appear as a 68. So it is suppose to have all the features as a 68 such as trim, marker lights, emblems and anything else that was changed from 67 to 68. Enforcement will be up to your division tech crew, and although it has become more lax lately, I would hate to be told I can't run my car after all the effort spent of building a car and showing up at a race.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote