HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-30-2022, 04:26 PM   #51
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: The mines are now closed (AHFS)

What Bubski is taking away from these AHFS changes are 1. A racer can run amok for a long time legal or not and beat up the average without a system of checks and balances like was in place previously !! 2. Its also a way out of teching a car for an infraction on the index on a Saturday or Sunday in the middle of the race so the tech people don't have to bother with extensive tear downs as the race winds down and everyone is tired and wants to go home !!
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #52
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubski View Post
What Bubski is taking away from these AHFS changes are 1. A racer can run amok for a long time legal or not and beat up the average without a system of checks and balances like was in place previously !! 2. Its also a way out of teching a car for an infraction on the index on a Saturday or Sunday in the middle of the race so the tech people don't have to bother with extensive tear downs as the race winds down and everyone is tired and wants to go home !!
Stosh, Every once in a while, you make a good point.
They needed a way out of that automatic teardown so they made one up.
I have to say , this incognito bit has it's merits. You can say what you want and don't have to worry about upsetting your after hours beer drinkin' buddies.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:37 PM   #53
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Just a quick note, Stock and SS at St. Louis are "mineshaft"!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #54
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,596 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Just a quick note, Stock and SS at St. Louis are "mineshaft"!
And the 1# qualifier is running the 1 off aluminum head 350 FI
As he has qualified at almost every race he went to
So he went stupid fast all year but the kicker is the combo only good for this year
So when is Nhra gonna get rid of bogus and nonexistent combinations to level the playing fields FOR EVERYONE.
Ps. Nothing against Matt He’s just running the combo Nhra f@ed up and allowed
Old 09-30-2022, 08:00 PM   #55

Liked 906 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Actually, I suggested a couple of tenths..Realistically it should be 5.

I just looked and the Div 1 Stock Q results for the season. I see one guy with a good combo that's running about 2 tenths under at every race.I don't know what his game is. He's run fast before in other cars.He must be using a Target motor or something.
.I see a very few new names at the bottom and some with mechanical issues.
Billy's current ride has a long block right out of the junkyard, and he can run 5 tenths under.

Almost every day we hear that S/SS is a performance based eliminator. Also we MUST have heads -up runs in the eliminator.
But then we hear that lowering the indexes 2 tenths and keeping the triggers at the same value , to keep pace with progress, is a dumb idea.
Rich, I don't know how long you've been at this, and I know some of the newer guys don't like to hear about the good old days, but try this:
In 1978, I was fortunate to be in a divisional final. Myself and the other guy were the the only two cars to run on or under the index, for the entire event.
Today, those combos can run a full second under the index.
I guess you never drove 1000 miles to Gainesville with a S/S car and qualified 34th in a 32 car field. gee..Much too hard. I should have quit then. ;-)

How about we lower the indexes 2 tenths and then , for the guys at the bottom, over the index, we give them a participation trophy?
Then we can watch the rest of the cars run all the way to the 1320?
Not sure which races you were looking at, but if the indexes were lowered .5, there would be 5 or 6 cars in Div1 that would be non qualifiers, maybe even more depending on the DA.

If you think Billys car can run .5 under anywhere, you should come rent it from him and run it at Numidia next year, or Atco when its 95 degrees.
lowering the index .5 would just help the fast cars, it would do nothing for the entry level racer that can't spend 5k on heads. If we turn that person away, are we really helping to bring new racers in?

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:27 PM   #56
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Oh well. I had heard about the big fix for the AHFS recently.
I have to say I'm disappointed.
I had expected that maybe they would do something to stop all the 1000' runs, like maybe lowering the indexes a couple of tenths.
It seems to me that this will only encourage more sandbagging, and I use the term with reverence. We've all done it, since about the time the FWD cars were added.
Today, lots of RWD combos are about a second faster, thanks to technology and all the goodies added.

I would have hoped NHRA would see this and do something appropriate .

Somebody please tell me how this is going to help much of anything?
Mark all they would have needed to do was drop the index's a tenth. Now in a heads up no one has to worry about going more than 1.20 under. If you have enough cars running your combo it's pretty easy to keep the average under .85 under. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #57
bubski

Bubski's head hurts from all this NHRA gobbly gook !! First and foremost is that the sportsman racer pays at least a 100$$ per national event for insurance !! Bubski can't think of the last time a S/SS car killed a poor soul in the stands !! Death at the races is no laughing matter !! Bubski would like all to leave the property as they came !! However maybe the NHRA could take some of that extortion cash stole from the sportsmen racers and funnel it into the the proper tech to help keep the sportsmen the backbone of NHRA in check and happy with their sanctioning body !! Its called good business practice !! Bubski would also like to address the indexes and classes if he may !! #1 the indexes are way to soft !! If the indexes represent the national standard as they are, its ludicrous to think a 1.20 run is acceptable !! The index and or HP for that combo is not in line !! #2 all the FI 350 Chevys are rated most laughably low compared to their carbureted counter parts !! They sure are rated much higher in Stock than SS !! that's kinda odd as the rating trends go !! Bubskis not picking on them !! there's many more examples ,but this one sticks out in Bubskis mind foremost !! #3 Its time to lower the class count and the nonsense associated with all the subdivisions of classes !! Sticks and Autos race head up together !! There's no more 3600# 2 speed autos anymore and most of the autos are faster than the sticks as I type this !! #4 Get rid of the half pound weight breaks in the GT classes !! A typical GT low class car will add less than a 100# to drop a class and pick up 2 tenths !! #5 PLEEZE have proper tech to bring this mess in line !!
Liked
Old 09-30-2022, 09:10 PM   #58
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,729 Times in 418 Posts

Bubski is the village idiot.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:50 PM   #59
bubski

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Bubski is the village idiot.
Bubski would like to ask Mr Rump !! You think the indexes are fine ?? You think your rating is too hard ?? You think all these classes are fine ?? You think theres too much tech ?? you think every underfactored combo is fine ?? If you answered yes to any one of these you should get outta the bottom of you Poole and get sum air !! Cheers KNUCKLEHEAD !!
Old 09-30-2022, 10:00 PM   #60
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Not sure which races you were looking at, but if the indexes were lowered .5, there would be 5 or 6 cars in Div1 that would be non qualifiers, maybe even more depending on the DA.

If you think Billys car can run .5 under anywhere, you should come rent it from him and run it at Numidia next year, or Atco when its 95 degrees.
lowering the index .5 would just help the fast cars, it would do nothing for the entry level racer that can't spend 5k on heads. If we turn that person away, are we really helping to bring new racers in?
Duane ,
The discussion was about 2 tenths under.I was told lowering 2 tenths was stupid.
I disagreed and said why. The 5 tenths was an opinion , as an aside.

I don't know how long you've known Billy, but for me, it's been about 45 years.
You and I know that if Billy wanted to go 5/10's ,year 'round he could.
My point was that it's not real hard anymore to go 5/10's under. I stand by that comment.
If a guy with a 327 stick Chevy II can only run on the current index, who's fault is that?

Back to Billy. If I wanted to fool around with that Cavalier, I doubt that I'd have to rent from him. In fact, he'd probably bring it to the track for me.
Don't anybody get any ideas. It's too fast for me and doesn't have enough pedals.
Anyway , if the indexes were lowered 5/10's, Billy would deal with it.He'd probably just put that Pontiac back together. ;-)