HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #41
SS/GSI

Liked 506 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Factory X

The creation of Factory A/X may have been a good idea to entice the "street outlaw", "all out" 10.5" crowd and racers; however given the lack of rules and precise limitations by NHRA for these cars, it will surely spiral out of control before it gains any sort of stability. First off, a 2650# A/X car would need to be mainly built out of Tube Chassis, CF and/or some sort of light weight composite materials. The factory CJ, Camaro and Challenger weigh 4000#'s +/-(no driver) from the factory; therefore over 1500#'s will have to be taken out of the car...bye bye any and all sheet metal not "prohibited" to remove in the rulebook. Must retain front headlight and rear taillight "factory" locations...WOW cant wait to see those stencils/templates to measure for location accuracy...especially with "no tech". The cherry on top...parity rules and NHRA analyzing the incrementals...well we all have been witness to how that worked out for FS!!! How many FS CJ's are parked and collecting dust due to the have not's complaining their way into being competitive vs them! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!!! My hats off to Mr. Holbrook, Mr. Turk and all others taking on this racing venture...I really hope I am wrong here and you guys receive the platform you work hard for and deserve.

I imagine that all of us would have hoped for a class that did not allow for outside influence from trailing manufacturers/teams and/or within a realistic budget for an experimental class.

These cars will easily exceed $400-$500k budget wise to be competitive.

I believe a NA class with the 426, 427 & 428ci combos @ 3000#'s, spec oversized TB with the full steel body, back halved with some updates in chassis, while retaining the factory car(like SS) would have been more in tuned with fans and racers...kinda like Lambs Copo, Richards and Skillmans SS CJ's, Jones DP, etc...IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamb SS COPO.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	61451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jones SS DP.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	61452  

Last edited by SS/GSI; 12-07-2021 at 03:11 PM.
SS/GSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:03 PM   #42

Liked 906 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/GSI View Post
The creation of Factory A/X may have been a good idea to entice the "street outlaw", "all out" 10.5" crowd and racers; however given the lack of rules and precise limitations by NHRA for these cars, it will surely spiral out of control before it gains any sort of stability. First off, a 2650# A/X car would need to be mainly built out of Tube Chassis, CF and/or some sort of light weight composite materials. The factory CJ, Camaro and Challenger weigh 4000#'s +/-(no driver) from the factory; therefore over 1500#'s will have to be taken out of the car...bye bye any and all sheet metal not "prohibited" to remove in the rulebook. Must retain front headlight and rear taillight "factory" locations...WOW cant wait to see those stencils/templates to measure for location accuracy...especially with "no tech". The cherry on top...parity rules and NHRA analyzing the incrementals...well we all have been witness to how that worked out for FS!!! How many FS CJ's are parked and collecting dust due to the have not's complaining their way into being competitive vs them! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!!! My hats off to Mr. Holbrook, Mr. Turk and all others taking on this racing venture...I really hope I am wrong here and you guys receive the platform you work hard for and deserve.

I imagine that all of us would have hoped for a class that did not allow for outside influence from trailing manufacturers/teams and/or within a realistic budget for an experimental class.

These cars will easily exceed $400-$500k budget wise to be competitive.

I believe a NA class with the 426, 427 & 428ci combos @ 3000#'s, spec oversized TB with the full steel body, back halved with some updates in chassis, while retaining the factory car(like SS) would have been more in tuned with fans and racers...kinda like Lambs Copo, Richards and Skillmans SS CJ's, Jones DP, etc...IMHO
A Factory Stock Shootout car is close to 3500 with driver. I believe they also have to retain the factory taillights and taillight panel, headlights grill and bumper cover. The car will have to meet some kind if a factory template. How close does rhe current Pro Stock meet a factory template.

If you can bring half the 10.5 outlaw fans and street outlaw fans to watch an NHRA race I think it will be a success if you think thats their goal.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #43
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,727 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
A Factory Stock Shootout car is close to 3500 with driver. I believe they also have to retain the factory taillights and taillight panel, headlights grill and bumper cover. The car will have to meet some kind if a factory template. How close does rhe current Pro Stock meet a factory template.

If you can bring half the 10.5 outlaw fans and street outlaw fans to watch an NHRA race I think it will be a success if you think thats their goal.
I would love an N/A class, but you just nailed the reality!!
Liked
Old 12-08-2021, 12:15 AM   #44
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post
Could this new class replace Pro Stock? Pro stock fans have been bitching that the Pro Stock class has become not very relevant, especially when they went to the rule you can run a Chevrolet engine in any manufacturer body. Many people I know who are Ford fans wrote the class off after that. Many were hoping that Factory stock shootout cars would replace Pro Stock. Maybe after a year of exhibition, they will put the remaining Pro Stock cars into Pro Mod and we will go back to a time when Pro Stock had all 3 brands with recognizable bodies and engines that are more aligned with something available from the manufacturer. Even with the price of these cars, I think they will still be cheaper than a current Pro Stock car.
I am hoping thats where this is going. I wasnt old enough to remember home built pro stocks, but by the time I became a fan in the late 70s, it was sort of where Factory X will be.

Current PS is limited to 500 cid efi motors, while PM racers can run injection, turbos or blowers with different cid and weight limits for each combo. And some pretty wild transmissions like automatics with clutches. Put those power and drive train options in a PS car running 212 and it could easily pick up the pace to run with Ricky Smith and Stevie Fast.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #45
427FE

Liked 305 Times in 68 Posts

Outlaw 10.5 is dead. Radial racing is all the rage now, with cars in the 3s in the 1/8 on a radial. If you wanted to raise eyebrows from this crowd, it should be on a radial.
427FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #46

Liked 906 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427FE View Post
Outlaw 10.5 is dead. Radial racing is all the rage now, with cars in the 3s in the 1/8 on a radial. If you wanted to raise eyebrows from this crowd, it should be on a radial.
I belive this class will be on a radial. The Shootout cars are on a 9" radial, I would have to believe Goodyear/M/T are probably working on one as we speak.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #47
Stan Weiss

Liked 529 Times in 283 Posts

So then why not pick a common size like 275 or 310 which there are many different manufactures making?

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #48
Ben Holt

Liked 95 Times in 29 Posts

The spec tire will be 33 x 10.5w x 16 and on a 16 x 16 beadlock style wheel. Currently MT and Hoosier make the tire, with the MT being a little more common. Now that Goodyear owns MT we may see a third offering as well. The w tire is pretty big. Nothing like the "true" 10.5 stuff some of the outlaw stuff runs. And as far as the radials going 3's. Sure, anybody can go as quick as they want on just about any tire when you talk about unlimited HP and running on tracks that are practically disneyland. Plus, on tracks like those the slick tired machines can't go but about 2 feet because they are just too sticky. So there's no way NHRA would prep a track like that for one class and make it impossible for TF and FC to go down.
And as far as spectators. Everyone wants to say NHRA is dead. I went to 2 national events this year. Gators, Indy. And several customers of mine went to many more. It was unbelievable how many people were in the stands. Looking on TV can be deceiving. And I have been to several NPK races. SUre, the crowd is decent, but it's one day. NHRA maintains their spectator count across 3 sometimes 4 days.
I think this class is great idea. Getting the cars to weight will be no problem, and the teams that are coming out with cars will come out swinging abd be fast.
Ben Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #49
Troy Henderson

Liked 105 Times in 32 Posts

With no Camaro after 2024 and Dodge changing the Challenger to an electric platform this seems like it's a little late to me?
Troy Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #50
onefarmer

Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Holt View Post
The spec tire will be 33 x 10.5w x 16 and on a 16 x 16 beadlock style wheel. Currently MT and Hoosier make the tire, with the MT being a little more common. Now that Goodyear owns MT we may see a third offering as well. The w tire is pretty big. Nothing like the "true" 10.5 stuff some of the outlaw stuff runs. And as far as the radials going 3's. Sure, anybody can go as quick as they want on just about any tire when you talk about unlimited HP and running on tracks that are practically disneyland. Plus, on tracks like those the slick tired machines can't go but about 2 feet because they are just too sticky. So there's no way NHRA would prep a track like that for one class and make it impossible for TF and FC to go down.
And as far as spectators. Everyone wants to say NHRA is dead. I went to 2 national events this year. Gators, Indy. And several customers of mine went to many more. It was unbelievable how many people were in the stands. Looking on TV can be deceiving. And I have been to several NPK races. SUre, the crowd is decent, but it's one day. NHRA maintains their spectator count across 3 sometimes 4 days.
I think this class is great idea. Getting the cars to weight will be no problem, and the teams that are coming out with cars will come out swinging abd be fast.
Agree with you, I attended 6 national events and 1 NMCA at Norwalk This year, the attendance at NHRA was surprisingly well attended. The NMCA race which was my first to attend in, which I personally think they had a great racing program full of awesome racing but the stands were empty, very sad when compared to the array of racing going on. Apparently people want to see the Pro Nitro classes. The stands just seem to clean out when there done. Pro stock and FSS gets little attention at races and I think FSS is great racing and much better than prostock but thats my opinon. I know of atleast a dozen new FX cars being built at 3 different chassis shops but they will be late next year till any of them will be completed. I hope no factory support people or anyone that wants to be a sponsor does not scroll past some of these threads. So many nanny nahsayers here complaining about the rules and NHRA its kinda sad. Everyone knows what arena they are gonna be stepping into when they decide to go racing and should not be surprised when the rules get changed since that has been going on for decades. I understand brand loyalty but I gave that up my self when the manufactures gave up on customer loyalty. I will now buy and race what ever I think is gonna be the best use-full or best competitive for me at the time of making the purchase. I dont care for some of the rules of the new FX class and how there is no public explanation and reasoning of how they come up with the paraity adjustments in FSS but it is what it is.
onefarmer is online now   Reply With Quote