HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-06-2021, 11:31 PM   #1
DhrDarren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Boogie Nights, 55 Belair

I have had a handful of 55 Chevy's over the years and the last one before this was a skinny kid built TTBB alcohol combo. It was outlaw 10.5 legal and was also run in a variety of no prep events.
I was tired of all the electronics, laptops, data recorders, electro gizmos & honestly the fight.

I sold that car to a guy in Saint Louis and found this car over in Montana. It was a two owner 55 two door post Bel-Air. The current owner had owned it since 1971 and had been sitting in his garage since 1985 until I purchased it in 2019. It was all original and uncut. The plan was just to have a mild big block and four speed in there like a traditional street strip car from the eighties. Well I quickly learned that I would not be happy with just a conventional 396 and Muncie so in went a BES 582 and Gforce g101a. It was mini tubbed to fit a 29.5 or 315 radial, has a M9 rear with a Strange 4.33 center, Strange brakes all around along with one of their driveshafts. It has Afco Bigguns on all 4 corners & a moly 8.50 cert cage.
I took it out for testing & killed the Mcleod Softlock right away so I called Rick @ Boninfante and got the correct clutch.
Next time out testing it went 6.41 on the first pass. Made some shock adjustments & went 6.34 next pass. I ended the day with an aborted 3rd pass.
Last Weekend I went back to Woodburn's to do some testing and the 1st pass the car in front of me broke after I had already started my burnout. I knew better and that I should have backed into the water Box again but didn't for some reason and tried another short burnout but it just slipped the clutch. I proceeded to stage the car and left cutting a .006 light but I felt something funny on the 1-2 shift and continued the pass until the 3rd to 4th shift and let out of it. I coasted to a 10.34 (1/4 mile last weekend) and discovered that I Had stripped the transmission. I got back to the pits and loaded up and came home. A pulled the transmission apart and found a stripped gear on the input shaft.
I called G forest on Monday morning and have the parts 2nd day aired and they arrived last night. I started putting the transmission together was extremely tired and made some mistakes so I call them tonight. After work today I finished but now I am having troubles with the transmission binding up. I was frustrated enough to make a call to liberty and order an extreme 5 speed. They said I should have it in 8 weeks.
Here are a few shots of the car from purchase to now.
My goal is to have the quickest stock suspension, stick shift 55.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191016_095841.jpeg
Views:	628
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	57224  
DhrDarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-06-2021, 11:40 PM   #2
DhrDarren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Boogie Nights, 55 Belair

Well, evidently the photos won't load here.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
GaryB69Z

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Would love to see the pictures....
GaryB69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
DhrDarren

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, I have the liberty installed in the car now and built the tunnel for it.