HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Dion Hildebrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I know.. I know.. Im nuts!

Here we go again...yes I am that crazy to put together a second race car. This was originally going to be the Stock Eliminator car but with all the years of racing and bandaid repairs it was taken out of use and a rotisserie rebuild was started. The chevelle became the money pit only to have this car sit on the back burner for too long. The time has come to finish up the car, it has been a long time bracket car and is a 1965 Acadian Invader 2 door sedan. Before I get crucified....I have all the trim to change it over to a nova/chevy II, and yes eventually this car will be a class car as originally planned. This first post is a bit of history on this car, I was but a mere toddler when my Dad aquired this car back in 1978 and it has been a race car ever since. This car was a basket case when it first came into our hands.....part of why this car needed extensive lovin'. To date I have put in new a floor pan with frame connectors, a right quarter panel and new front fenders , all the body work is complete just needing to be preped and painted (it helps that we own a body shop....labour is cheap ) I am currently installing the roll bar and doing a whole pile of fabrication to get evreything in and functioning the way a proper race car should. For now the car will get its 350 sbc and turbo 350 trans put back in, but I have been aquiring 283 and 327 parts and have thoughts of a stick...maybe..we will see. To this point has been around 6 years so I dont expect to have the car out this year but who knows?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadian.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	15120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadian 2.0.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	15121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadian 2.1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	15122  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadian 3.0.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	15123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadian 3.1.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	15124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadian 3.2.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	15125  

Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: I know.. I know.. Im nuts!

Dion,
What class are you aiming for?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

Dion;

Although I see they're not in the Guide, weren't some Acadians run in Stock or SS in the past? I know some were run locally but I thought I'd seen pictures of other ones in different Divisions. If it can be done legally I think it would be cooler to keep it as an Acadian (For anyone not familiar with them, Acadians ran the Chevy II engine combos). Either way Best of Luck with the project!

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Kempton; 01-07-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added clarity
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Hildebrandt View Post
Here we go again...yes I am that crazy to put together a second race car. This was originally going to be the Stock Eliminator car but with all the years of racing and bandaid repairs it was taken out of use and a rotisserie rebuild was started. The chevelle became the money pit only to have this car sit on the back burner for too long. The time has come to finish up the car, it has been a long time bracket car and is a 1965 Acadian Invader 2 door sedan. Before I get crucified....I have all the trim to change it over to a nova/chevy II, and yes eventually this car will be a class car as originally planned. This first post is a bit of history on this car, I was but a mere toddler when my Dad aquired this car back in 1978 and it has been a race car ever since. This car was a basket case when it first came into our hands.....part of why this car needed extensive lovin'. To date I have put in new a floor pan with frame connectors, a right quarter panel and new front fenders , all the body work is complete just needing to be preped and painted (it helps that we own a body shop....labour is cheap ) I am currently installing the roll bar and doing a whole pile of fabrication to get evreything in and functioning the way a proper race car should. For now the car will get its 350 sbc and turbo 350 trans put back in, but I have been aquiring 283 and 327 parts and have thoughts of a stick...maybe..we will see. To this point has been around 6 years so I dont expect to have the car out this year but who knows?

If you go stick I have a jerico for sale. Good luck with your car.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Dion Hildebrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glen - with a 283 depending on the horsies it is a natural I or P car, with the 327 a natural F or H car, the F combo is esentially the same combo( save for the cubes and cam) as my H/SA Chevelle so that would possibly be an option....

Jeff - as far as the Acadian option of course that is the way I would prefer to run the car, it has been awhile but I do recall the Acadians/Beaumonts being singled out as not accepted for Stock

Dueces - I will let you know if I do want to row my own

I will snap some shots with the car all dusty and dirty once the litlle girlies go to bed....just watching some old Horsepower Heaven videos with them as we speak....these daughters of mine LOVE big Wheelies!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Dion, Randy Issac from Maple Ridge BC used to run a yellow 68 or 69 Acadian in G or H/SA a number of years ago. He ended up selling to a US racer, I beleive it went to the Gaynor family , and I seem to recall that they left all the Acadian trim on the car, which must have been a bit of a head scratcher to some stateside Chevy guys! Since the Acadians used the same Chevy engines as a US Chevy 11, I imagine running the car as an Acadian wouldn`t be a huge issue. Now, if you tried running something like a 64 Pontiac Strato Chief with a 409,or a 66 Grand Parisianne Sport with a 427, or a 68 Beaumont SD396, THEN you might have some trouble!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Caleb Hansen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most call us nuts for doing this stuff anyway. Keep up the progress and my vote is for the third pedal in the car.. I hope you dont loose focus as your Hockey is back on....Winter greetings from down south..
Caleb Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Dion, Randy Issac from Maple Ridge BC used to run a yellow 68 or 69 Acadian in G or H/SA a number of years ago. He ended up selling to a US racer, I beleive it went to the Gaynor family , and I seem to recall that they left all the Acadian trim on the car, which must have been a bit of a head scratcher to some stateside Chevy guys! Since the Acadians used the same Chevy engines as a US Chevy 11, I imagine running the car as an Acadian wouldn`t be a huge issue. Now, if you tried running something like a 64 Pontiac Strato Chief with a 409,or a 66 Grand Parisianne Sport with a 427, or a 68 Beaumont SD396, THEN you might have some trouble!
A few years back Norm Hall from Maryland had a yellow one ran G and H/SA he sold it dont know where it went.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

I think it went to someone in Div. 3 or 4.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

A toddler in 1978? Dang! Must be nice!