HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
JP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SS Viper

The issue we have is not related to equal fuel pressure at the injectors, our "problem" is more related to fuel splatter from one cylinder to another. What would solve the problem is to move the injectors closer to the valve. But that will be another project, as it is now it works quite well as a Drag engine, the trottle response is fantastic and we need to test more before building a new intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I wonder if some of your tuning issues would go away if you regulated the pressure after the injectors? That way you would be guaranteed that all of the injectors are getting the same fuel pressure. It would also reduce heat soak related issues with the fuel in the rails. Or, am I missing something in this photo?

Love this project!!
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
JP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats all behind us. I've run a Viper only business for many years which gave a lot of experience regarding the Viper Engine.
Our fule system i built by the book, Weldon stuff all the way, two Monster Mesh filters from Kinsler etc...what we have that is kinda odd is that we have the Regulator and "T" the fuel supply just before the Fuel Rails instead of having the regulator after the Rails...
The idea is to keep the fuel cooler, non used fuel doesn't heat up before it is routed back to the fuel cell...
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
The machine shop I use has some pretty extensive experience with the Viper engine. They've sold them to road racers mainly. They came up with the fix for the crank & oiling problems that Dodge swept under the carpet (if you brought your Viper to the dealer and had an oil pressure or worse problem, they were swapping out engines to keep the customer happy...and quite). They offered to share the info with Chrysler but were rejected.
So...what I do know is that they cured the fuel problems by going to a return style system. Call Bud Yancer up @ 520-568-3511 if you think he can help. Or maybe you do have it all figured out and your good. That's in the Town of Maricopa, Arizona USA and that would be PST.

Last edited by JP; 09-07-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hey JP, with the new manifold, will you play with the throttle body placement to help with the air/fuel distribution from cylinder to cylinder?
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
JP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, its a Super Stocker...must be in sort of "geometrical" stock position. The TBO:s are right now in a good position to take advantage of a speed related positive atmospheric pressure...The NACA duct in the hood might help build some top end power.
We will change the MAP sensor for next season so we can monitor if the NACA duct help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutta View Post
Hey JP, with the new manifold, will you play with the throttle body placement to help with the air/fuel distribution from cylinder to cylinder?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
JP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The work with the bare chassi continued and we sprayed it in the original semi flat black. The Viper chassi is welded and glued so ugly so there is no way to get show finish :-) But its a race car...

The stock frame i quite rigid. This car was hit bad left front so we had to change some parts of the front clips.

One of two Ford numbers on the Viper (Ford 600 paint code)

Assembly, Its quite handy to paint the whole body in sections and then just bolt or glue it in place :-)

Mopar traditional semi flat black rear panel, I like it that way :-)

It's starting to come together, Weldon Fuel pump, Monster mesh filters, Optima Batteries, Ford 9" MW internals, Koni double adjustables etc.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #26
BlackMax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JP:

I have been watching your project with great interest. My Gen II has an after market cam and I have the same fuel in-balance issue as you described with your manifold but with the stock manifold. I know you had to keep the TB's in the stock location but had you ever considered how a system might work with the TB's air dumping into the center of the manifold? I am thinking about cutting off the top of a stock manifold and building a cover that would accomplish that.
Thought I would check around before cutting metal. The Gen II manifold has the exact same air flow problems we had in the old days with the Hemi cross ram manifold.

Thanks

Jim
hartsnet@yahoo.com
BlackMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #27
theman440

Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

Bitchin' Car.
'66 Coronet #10771 - bracket puke
"the Flying Brick"
theman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
JP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, we had that design on the drawing board, and if I don't miss mind I think there have been some vintage intake manifolds/plenums with similar designs as you have in mind. We would probably have been better of with the injectors moved closer to the valve but In our case isn't the performance and driveability in low rpms a big issue, we are more interested in 4500 and up, so only by tweaking the fuel flow solved most of our problems. But for a street type of car would our manifold be a total failure...
The issue with the stock manifold can easlilly be solved with a after market ECU...no problemo :-) Just remove som fuel for the rear injectors at low and mid rpm.
What ECU are you running now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMax View Post
JP:

I have been watching your project with great interest. My Gen II has an after market cam and I have the same fuel in-balance issue as you described with your manifold but with the stock manifold. I know you had to keep the TB's in the stock location but had you ever considered how a system might work with the TB's air dumping into the center of the manifold? I am thinking about cutting off the top of a stock manifold and building a cover that would accomplish that.
Thought I would check around before cutting metal. The Gen II manifold has the exact same air flow problems we had in the old days with the Hemi cross ram manifold.

Thanks

Jim
hartsnet@yahoo.com
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #29
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Now this is a WILD project!

I tip-my-hat to you for your persistence.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
BlackMax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My car had fuel rails and large top loader injectors which flowed large amounts of fuel. I changed to a stock intake manifold and stock injectors. It also had a Roe Racing VEC II add on computer which was very difficult to manage so I removed it and thought I would try to manage the air flow instead. Do you know of an ECM available that would replace the stock one? Most shops that claim they can supply one are very expensive with no assurances of success.

Thanks for responding.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Yes, we had that design on the drawing board, and if I don't miss mind I think there have been some vintage intake manifolds/plenums with similar designs as you have in mind. We would probably have been better of with the injectors moved closer to the valve but In our case isn't the performance and driveability in low rpms a big issue, we are more interested in 4500 and up, so only by tweaking the fuel flow solved most of our problems. But for a street type of car would our manifold be a total failure...
The issue with the stock manifold can easlilly be solved with a after market ECU...no problemo :-) Just remove som fuel for the rear injectors at low and mid rpm.
What ECU are you running now?
BlackMax is offline   Reply With Quote