HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
slowpony

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Newbie needs help!

I just decided to get off the fence! I have been a fan of S/SS since the days of Sox & Martin. I live in an area of NC that has 5 tracks less than 3 hours tow. I am a retired Firefighter with all the normal bills, but I want to go racing. I am looking at Pure Stock due to cost. My problem is that I have two cars to choose from, a 1994 Mustang GT Convertible, and 1996 Z/28, both are automatics. The GT has mods that would make it a Cobra except the front bumper. It is a natural G/PS and has run under the 1/8 index at Piedmont already. The Z/28 is newly acquired and is very stock. Will the GT need a roll bar and the Z is a T-top, will it need one? Don't plan to be the fastest or #1 qualifier, just want to run the local S/SS combo's and qualify for a Divisional. Suggestions and opinions on these are welcomed!
Thanks,
Norman
slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Newbie needs help!

Slow,

About the 96 Camaro;
*engine access is a tough job, will cause you to possibly say bad words. Engine is WAY under the cowl area
*T - tops not desirable
*rear axle assembly weak but maybe acceptable with stock engine. No rear axle upgrades from GM available.

Just food for thought, things to consider

The Mustang;

*engine access good, "normal" position in compartment
*Rear axle assembly with 8.8 is very good, will take plenty of power with no problem.

And these comments are from a dye in the wool Chevy racer. Given these two choices the Mustang will be easier to work on, thus, less frustration, more fun.

From the perspective of performance and being competitive either car is acceptable. I think with all considered the Mustang will be less work, less money, less hassle, more reliable.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Little Chief

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Newbie needs help!

Dragsinger, in all of the years I have known you I have never even heard you utter the F word.
Little Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

Chief, you are correct. It was early when I made that post before much coffee.

However, even with the F word, I think it is the best choice of the two

All automotive manufactures have built designs that later prove out to be not ideal.

"IF" Mr Slow was planning to build a traditional stocker the 4 gen F body could be better considered. But in pure stock trim not the best choice.

I am feeling kinda Ford blue, need to look at some Chevrolet hot rods. I have three in close viewing distance
Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
slowpony

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks, that is the input that I'm looking for! The Mustang has a Cobra intake and throttle body. I was told would not be legal for GT. Then I was told that I could claim it as a 94 Cobra and it would be legal. HP factor is same or very close. I have to contact powers that be in IHRA and local S/SS association and see how strict they are on appearance. I don't have Cobra bumper cover. Roll bar might be a deal breaker as it is still a street driven car. It can run the H/PS number now.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

According to the NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide, the 94 Cobra is stick only. The IHRA Pure Stock rules state that induction must be OEM complete for year make and model of car. Transmission must be as delivered from the factory.

You can probably give it a stick and claim the Cobra, but you need to get a stock induction to run as a GT convertible with an auto.

GT Convertible 302/215@3404 lbs.
Cobra Convertible 302/235@3438 lbs.

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

You could take the Cobra intake and heads off and put a GT setup on. Then you can run a stick or automatic. Your natural class as a GT convertible
would probably be I/PS. 16.21 lbs per factored h.p. ( 3404 lbs divided by 210 h.p)

A 94-95 GT 5.0 is currently factored @ 210 h.p. in PS.

As far as I have read, the shortblocks between the GT and Cobra are the same. (94-95)
Not positive, but I believe the Cobra and GT used the same throttle body.

The Cobra also used the same camshaft as the GT.
The difference is that the Cobra used 1.7 rockers instead of the GT's 1.6. ( thus the total valve lift difference)
Obviously, the Cobra heads are different from the GT.

I don't believe there is anyway around the roll bar. I believe all convertible Stockers require a bar, regardless of how slow they run.

Last edited by ALMACK; 11-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

The Cobra should be 65MM, the HO engine uses a 60MM throttle body.
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #9
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

If you are still interested I can recommend the Maximum Motorsports 6-point roll bar. Just put one in a '90 GT convertible and it fits like a glove...did not have to trim anything, just slap it in and weld. You could bolt it in if you wanted as well as run swing-out bars.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
slowpony

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks everyone. Roll bar is a deal breaker for the 'vert as Misses don't want it to be a race car anyways. Plan B developed today as a friend has a 89 GT that he may sell. 2 owner 5 speed virgin that may be perfect for P/S. Fingers are crossed, hope to get it this week. Will be at CCR meet at Piedmont tomorrow doing "research"!
Norman