HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #121
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts
Default Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

You pretty much summed it up perfectly. Can't wait to see what this thing does once that aftermarket header comes in......

Last edited by Doug Hoven; 12-14-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Doug Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #122
JakeB23

Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts

My HP tuners should be here today. I am hoping to learn about it myself. I even brought my laptop to work so I could go ahead and download the software and be ready when I get home!
JakeB23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #123
Doug Hoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB23 View Post
My HP tuners should be here today. I am hoping to learn about it myself. I even brought my laptop to work so I could go ahead and download the software and be ready when I get home!
In my opinion, the hardest part of the entire program is finding where each parameter is in the tuning software. I knew nothing about hp tuners a month and a half ago, and just by playing with it I’ve gotten to be fairly competent of how to work the program. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #124
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Billy, there are those of us who are totally envious because you have stepped out to do something we have all wondered about, and so generously carried us all along for the ride. And you were successful beyond our expectations! The story related in this thread is rich! Thank you for including us in your fun!

Incidentally, my first race car (57 Chev 150 business coupe 283 2-barrel 4-speed in O/S) ran 15.08 on its maiden sorting-out day. Back in 1968!)
Old 12-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #125
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,789 Times in 1,524 Posts

Dwight, I couldn't have done many of the things that I have done in my life without the help and support of friends.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:20 AM   #126
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Dwight, I couldn't have done many of the things that I have done in my life without the help and support of friends.
All of us are in that category! But doing it together is where the value is (including the fun!).
Old 12-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #127
JakeB23

Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts

We might need to start a new thread regarding HPtuners. It might be more fitting on Classracer since dial in racing is going to have a pretty different tune rather than a fast street car tune, which seems to be moderately common on the repository.

My question is, how "simple" can I make a car for the strip only? Lock timing, RPM only shifts, no spark advance or retard, No IAT adjustments, etc..
JakeB23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #128
Doug Hoven

Basically what I did was find out what was varying run to run and locking it out. The timing is now locked because it did some wacky stuff from run to run before. I also disabled the knock sensor because even though it wasn’t pinging, it would randomly take timing out to try and mess with the air fuel ratio. I put it in open loop so it didn’t try and tune itself going down the track, and the shifts are set by rpm.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #129
Robin Lawrence
Sponsor

Liked 621 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hoven View Post
In my opinion, the hardest part of the entire program is finding where each parameter is in the tuning software. I knew nothing about hp tuners a month and a half ago, and just by playing with it I’ve gotten to be fairly competent of how to work the program. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
I have found this to be true on many of the platforms that HP Tuners is used. The GM cars use different ECU's over the years and it can be challenging to find some settings.
I looked at the Caviler file early on and it is very basic with minimal tables and modifiers. As the technology has progressed they have become complicated.

One of the issues with the OEM hardware and HP Tuners software is that there are still items in the background that we cannot see or edit. In an earlier year car like this it's minimal. It will be interesting to hear how your data logs stack up on each other.

Good stuff you are doing!

Good luck!

Robin
Old 12-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #130
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Billy/Doug do you have any pictures you could post? I have a buddy that recently bought I believe a 2004 Monte Carlo with intentions of running in stock a little. We will see. Did you say you are currently .50 under right now? Really like the progress.

Robert
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote