HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 03-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 98 Times in 59 Posts
Default Team Woodfin's "Thunder"

The background.

Many of you will recall the long-time NHRA D 4 tech man, Harold Hayes. Around 2004 Harold and his son Lester began a stocker buildup based on a 1988 Thunderbird. They were both working at the Ford dealer in Kilgore, Texas. Also, I owned a general automotive repair shop the next street over. We were long-time friends and often helped each other.

With interest, I kept an eye on the Thunderbird work. They tore it down to the bare body, put it in the Ford dealer body shop, and came out a nice, shiny Blue. Then it when to Dennis Hurst's shop for the roll bar and other chassis work.

Once it returned to Kilgore, for several reasons, the project stalled. Eventually, it was stored for several years. I often thought about the car and knew it was a good start for "something." The day came when I found myself between buildups. Again, thinking of the Thunderbird, I reached out to Lester on Facebook. The contact was fruitful, and the Thunderbird was moved to my shop.

However, once again, the project stalled. I took on two other buildups for Troy Morgan, then sold the property and retired. The Thunderbird was once again stored for a while.

We have heard it said, "all good things come to those who wait" so, the Thunderbird waited.

Now, after establishing a small shop at my home and finishing my Lamplighter Camaro, the Thunderbird project is a go.

DISCLAIMER: this will not be a class legal buildup. It is no longer practical for me to attend the multi-day races. It will be built to compete in bracket racing at the Dallas area tracks. Plus, it will have a Chevrolet powertrain, most likely an LS-series engine.

Finally, if you want to watch the unfolding of a fast bracket race car, please stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	57011  
Old 03-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Bill Moulding

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Team Woodfin's "Thunder"

You have a PM. Bill
Bill Moulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I understand that you have a vast knowledge of GM stuff and a lot of parts lying around to keep the cost down, but I never cared for cross bred cars of any stripe. Fords need Ford under the hood and Chevys need GM stuff. I bracket race, but my Mustang is SS/CS legal and I just explained why.
That said, good luck and have fun. Keep up posted. I always learn a lot from guys like you and Mr. Green.

Dale aka Mr. Blue
Old 03-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts

Dale,

While I understand and personally somewhat share your viewpoint, David Freiburger has an interesting commentary on the last page of the current issue of Hot Rod magazine.

The gist of it is that we, especially the younger generation, are reverting to more of the old "Hot Rod" mentality of the 40s and 50s. Put the best engine in the best body you have got.

He said that our brand loyalties have been generated by the Big Three's support in the past of NASCAR and NHRA racing.

I found it interesting and have always said, if its your car you can do whatever you want.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
Dale,

While I understand and personally somewhat share your viewpoint, David Freiburger has an interesting commentary on the last page of the current issue of Hot Rod magazine.

The gist of it is that we, especially the younger generation, are reverting to more of the old "Hot Rod" mentality of the 40s and 50s. Put the best engine in the best body you have got.

He said that our brand loyalties have been generated by the Big Three's support in the past of NASCAR and NHRA racing.

I found it interesting and have always said, if its your car you can do whatever you want.

Bill
I'm cool with all this. I broke into the sport in the mid '60s when brand was king. Now on to Larry.

Show us that "C"Bird...Did I just name the car??
Liked
Old 03-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
Regan Wilson

Liked 125 Times in 65 Posts

If you ever considered a name change Larry. I vote for Harold.
Regan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote