HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-28-2022, 05:47 PM   #1
Terry Friar

Liked 16 Times in 2 Posts
Default Transmission shield fit?

We're running a '69 Chevelle with "stock" engine/trans placement. It's a powerglide. I originally tried a TCI aluminum trans shield, but there was no way it was going to fit. It was hard into the tunnel and the trans still needed to go up about an inch or so. I've been running a Stroud blanket, but I'm constantly fighting to keep the ends of attaching straps from hanging down... as in multiple zip ties! Is there a good fitting aluminum shield for a glide that will fit the stock tunnel? Thanks!
Terry Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Transmission shield fit?

This is probably not all that helpful, but I'd highly recommend an aftermarket transmission case that removes the need for an additional shield.

It'll fit, and in my opinion greatly simplifies the transmission installation/removal process in addition to being more durable and probably safer.
Liked
Old 01-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

If it’s a race car cut the tunnel and raise the tunnel wher needed.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
If it’s a race car cut the tunnel and raise the tunnel wher needed.
Ditto. I took a torch and a BFH to my 68 Mustang to get a C4 with a shield to fit.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:12 PM   #5
Henrys Toy

Liked 467 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: Transmission shield fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Friar View Post
We're running a '69 Chevelle with "stock" engine/trans placement. It's a powerglide. I originally tried a TCI aluminum trans shield, but there was no way it was going to fit. It was hard into the tunnel and the trans still needed to go up about an inch or so. I've been running a Stroud blanket, but I'm constantly fighting to keep the ends of attaching straps from hanging down... as in multiple zip ties! Is there a good fitting aluminum shield for a glide that will fit the stock tunnel? Thanks!
Good morning Terry,
In my 1969 Chevy Nova I used a shield from TSR, and I had to "dimple" the floor where the fire wall and floor seem join's together. The shield that Chris and Craig sent me fit the trans case pretty close, but there was two pronounced corners on the top of the shield, just behind the bellhousing transition. That's where I had to "dimple" the floor. Other then that the shield fit pretty good. Maybe give TSR a shout and see if they can help you out.
Also loosen the hardware and try pushing the shield to get it as close to the trans case as you can & retighten all the hardware. Check the fit.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:29 PM   #6
Terry Friar

Liked 16 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrys Toy View Post
Good morning Terry,
In my 1969 Chevy Nova I used a shield from TSR, and I had to "dimple" the floor where the fire wall and floor seem join's together. The shield that Chris and Craig sent me fit the trans case pretty close, but there was two pronounced corners on the top of the shield, just behind the bellhousing transition. That's where I had to "dimple" the floor. Other then that the shield fit pretty good. Maybe give TSR a shout and see if they can help you out.
Also loosen the hardware and try pushing the shield to get it as close to the trans case as you can & retighten all the hardware. Check the fit.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Thanks for the suggestion Henry!
Terry Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:17 PM   #7
Chevy55

Liked 168 Times in 83 Posts

I cam across this, thought you might find it interesting.

How to install a JW Ultra-Bell Housing without ruining it and make it look factory

Chevy55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked