VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts
Default Memorial Day

Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 833 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: Memorial Day

Roy Niceswanger Killed October 8th in Metz France .
Description,..The Battle of Metz was a battle fought during World War II at the city of Metz, France, from late September 1944 through mid-December between the U.S. Third Army commanded by Lieutenant General George Patton and the German Army commanded by General Otto von Knobelsdorff. Wikipedia

Dads only older brother Roy. His remains did not come back for 2 years. Dad was in the Philippines at the time fighting in Manila, then awaiting the land invasion of Japan. And people wonder why I still refuse to buy Japs cars. So glad we dropped the A bomb as a land invasion might have, in all probability kept me and brother John from ever being born
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roys Gravestone.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	54562  

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 05-24-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,543 Times in 1,267 Posts

[QUOTE=Jeff Niceswanger;615245]Roy Niceswanger Killed August 8th in Metz France .
DescriptionThe Battle of Metz was a battle fought during World War II at the city of Metz, France, from late September 1944 through mid-December between the U.S. Third Army commanded by Lieutenant General George Patton and the German Army commanded by General Otto von Knobelsdorff. Wikipedia

And people wonder why I still refuse to buy Japs cars. QUOTE]

Amen to that !! There will NEVER be a JAP car in my driveway ..I have a memory like an ELEPHANT. Also, I have a list of grocery items I will never buy that are from CHINA...Unfortunately, I have to rely on communist CHINA for my phone and meds..

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 05-24-2020 at 12:03 PM.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Unbroken

https://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-Worl...4492/ref=nodl_
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
God bless them.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Memorial Day

And we thank you all for your service, and we remember all who gave their lives in service to our Nation. If you ever see the traveling Vietnam Wall, take the time to visit it and spend a few moments there. It's the most somber and emotional moment imaginable.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,190 Times in 589 Posts

God bless all our troops and THANK YOU to all that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

My Dad was on Attu Island in WWII. I wish he had told me more about those times, he never talked about it much. We lost him to Cancer in 97 and I wish we had talked more.

Thank You to all our troops and may God watch over all of you each day.
Liked
Old 05-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

The Wall is an incredibly moving experience. Over 2/3 of those remembered on the Wall were less than 22 years old. Over half were only 18. Afraid I don’t know any of their names. I worked in the emergency room most of my time in northern Thailand. The major losses were to our east but of course there were plenty of operations in Cambodia and Laos that originated from Thailand. Air America staged a lot of ops in the Plain of Jars region which brought casualties into our hospital. We’d occasionally recover one of our F4 pilots whose plane couldn’t make it back. Remember looking up at the lumbering B52’s out of Bangkok and thinking about their crews, especially when SAM’s became more of a threat. A big Sikorsky S-64E Skycrane crashed placing some radar equipment to our north, couple of the guys survived thankfully. In an old ambulance I brought in a young airman from town who died from a drug overdose, his death no more senseless than the others. We had good surgeons and no doubt many of those who passed through our emergency room made it on to the surgical ward. We didn’t try to follow up on them because there were more the next day, mostly Laotians hired to fight by Air America. Not sure how many faces I do recall are connected to names on the wall, more than a few I suspect but nothing like if I had served in Vietnam. I do know that no matter how ill-conceived and mismanaged the war was they all died in service to their country. To see family and friends tracing names from the Wall is something that you’ll never forget.

Looking forward to returning to DC so I can see the WWII memorial. The world can never repay the debt owed them. They will always be The Greatest Generation. God bless all of our servicemen and their families.

If in DC by all means, go to Arlington and see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. There is a symbolism there that I cannot begin to describe.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GjIwByb

Last edited by jmcarter; 06-20-2020 at 08:51 AM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,543 Times in 1,267 Posts

Freedom isn’t FREE...We owe EVERYTHING to our amazing veterans and their families...
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote