HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-27-2022, 08:27 PM   #21
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: So.. Why aren't RACERS trying to set National records!?

Hey guys some of y'all need speed wrenches and electric impacts! Just sayin! Lolol!
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:36 PM   #22
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
Several years ago, I put together a proposal to NHRA to incentivize records and put the performance aspect back into S/SS. They weren’t interested. The other reason was they told me 80% of the s/SS reps DIDNT want it either. I think I still have the emails. So there you go your competition doesn’t want it.

-Ed
Maybe someone like Bill Bader jr will buy NHRA and treat the sport as its truly intended. Hence implement mantras what made it it great, instead of pushing towards a low maintenance handicap race. We use to call it Bowling for Dollar$. Comp motor please hurry...
Old 06-27-2022, 10:50 PM   #23
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubski View Post
Bubski is thinking the problem is class racing has been overtaken by bracket racers looking for a a sitting duck who just wants a personal best ET for whatever conditions may be be !! Not very many racers left who would stay in it all the way to see if they made a positive move in Performance !! The bracket people figured this out quick and made it less desirable to work on your combo or for that matter to care about national records , that drove the record setting performance mentality out of class racing for the most part . Sure theres still guys working their AZZ off to be the best in their class but most of the time their just along for the ride with the shoe polish like the bracket guys !! Racing just like politics !! NO real leaders just politicians !! And not many real racers just bracket guys !! Nothing against bracket guys they play the rules given to them and Stock and Super Stock are pretty much the same as bracket 2 nowadays !!
Totally PERFECT PACKAGE with that comment! Lolol!
Old 06-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #24
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
Several years ago, I put together a proposal to NHRA to incentivize records and put the performance aspect back into S/SS. They weren’t interested. The other reason was they told me 80% of the s/SS reps DIDNT want it either. I think I still have the emails. So there you go your competition doesn’t want it.

-Ed
That’s funny, I don’t remember getting asked or polled if I wanted that. Guess it never got pass the reps at the time
Old 06-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #25
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
Here in D2 we have a good national open series. Not good for setting records though. Ours is 1/8th mile and they all happen on Sunday after each one of our divisional races. All except SGMP and the Baby Gators.
I am a commercial construction superintendent and work about 60 hours a week and most of the time I am out of town working all week. No retirement in sight for me yet. Everything is just too expensive and I am not ready to give up on racing and traveling. i plan to battle this old age thing for as long as I can.
Mike I'm sure you must remember the great D2 open races in December at Montgomery back in the day. Perfect record setting opportunities and that is where I got my one and only record for D/SA in 2004. Rusty Johnson and I were up until 3 AM putting that thing back together, and there must have been 15+ records set at that one event. Tech got a workout on those weekends for sure. Even Bill Holt was measuring valves and looking at ports.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #26
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts

This is slightly off subject, but I think anyone required to tear down because they went more than 1.20 under, are found legal, and have run faster than the current National record for their class should be awarded the record and receive the certificate.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:23 PM   #27
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
That’s funny, I don’t remember getting asked or polled if I wanted that. Guess it never got pass the reps at the time
I think I sent the ideas I had to Bobby Fazio. Pretty sure he has the emails now.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:00 PM   #28
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Mike I'm sure you must remember the great D2 open races in December at Montgomery back in the day. Perfect record setting opportunities and that is where I got my one and only record for D/SA in 2004. Rusty Johnson and I were up until 3 AM putting that thing back together, and there must have been 15+ records set at that one event. Tech got a workout on those weekends for sure. Even Bill Holt was measuring valves and looking at ports.
They also had a long time SS racer checking valves and port volume. Those were the best of times for sure , those days are over. Not enough tech
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-28-2022, 11:49 PM   #29
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

NHRA has taken a nonchalant attitude about S/SS just like societies attitude towards proper attire at certain events. Like when people used to dress in suites and ties at events and now people show up in T-shirts and blue jeans. There used to be a day that it was impressive that you set a record. Now it's kind of a oh hum who cares. I'm not saying that the racer that sets a record shouldn't be proud of the accomplishment, but NHRA just sort of kicked it to the curb with not publishing it in ND and not making a special point in the publication.
We pay our membership fees. With my membership to NHRA, I expect them to do their jobs such as managing racing for a fair playing field with keeping to the rule book, tear downs and inspections of vehicles. Also, giving racers that deserve acknowledgment their dues and having it posted in ND and not as an after thought.

Casey Miles
248H Stock
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:34 AM   #30
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,792 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Miles View Post
We pay our membership fees. With my membership to NHRA, I expect them to do their jobs

Casey Miles
248H Stock
and the biggest issue that "WE" have to fix is NHRA's attitude toward it's paying "Members"!
At this point in time, "WE" aren't considered paying "Members" anymore, we're considered "customers"!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote