HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #51
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Project Junkyard Dog

The new budget: $2013.

Engine will go .040 over, .013 offset on the crank, balanced and decked.
Trans will be a TH200.
Turbo will be unmodified, exhaust manifolds will get a little work.

The target date for its debut is August 9th, a test and tune at the local track. Then i have two weeks to brainstorm, cuss, fix things, or who knows what before the National Open!

Last edited by Joe Toller; 06-21-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #52
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Dog update: work has been nuts so progress is spotty, early morning and late nights mostly. I do finally have pretty much all the parts I need thanks to ebay and the salvage yard.

I swapped to steel wheels, for two reasons, 1) I needed a narrower front and wider rear wheel (The wheels on it were 15x7), and 2) I sold them for $250 (I had 80 in them). I sold the aluminum wheels on craigslist, and went scrounging and got 2 steel 15x6 front and 2 15x8 white spoke wheels from the salvage yard, mounted, for $20. All that's left there is do I keep them white, or go black, or silver? I know, big decisions!

Engine will be assembled on some late nights this weekend, and trans next, then we install and button it up!

Back to work! Thunderstorms with heavy rain and sewer plants don't get along...

Last edited by Joe Toller; 07-11-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #53
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Billy Nees - Thanks for the heads up on the front seat rule, you can't use a bench from a 4 door sedan. Tha's what i was looking to do with my 65 impala. Oh well, might as well use the buckets or find a split 2 door seats.

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #54
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Engine is back from the machine shop. I am headed to pick it up now. Cleaning and reassembly begin! Hopefully I will be assembling my TH200 next week, and then we hit the home stretch!

Thanks again for everyone's help and encouragement!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #55
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Had a fantastic chat with Neil Smedley...got a ton of info...need to make a couple changes, so I'm at a slight delay while getting some different parts and moving some old ones, but this will all be WELL worth it!

Still shooting for an August 9th debut though...

Mother Nature says I should stay inside today and watch the World Footbrake Challenge instead...
Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #56
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Trans is apart and cleaned; just waiting on a new sprag, shortblock is assembled, made some alterations to the ignition and carb per Neil Smedley, gauges and wiring are done, all that's left is finish trans, bolt to motor, and put it in.

But, the budget is running thin (my budget number and the family budget number had to meet in the middle) , and work is keeping me running. Will I finish it? One way or another. Will it get all I need/want for it? Probably not. Such is life...
Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #57
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

By the way, make sure when working on a project such as this, that you hit Mark Yacavone up at Blue Streak Torque Converters. Great guy, will help you out on setup as well as the converter. Thanks to Mark the 'Dog will see the track in optimal form!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #58
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

But, in that span of time, I have been able to continue to work with Mark on my converter, as well as make some money selling some of the items I got for my car on ebay, even after buying replacements for them. So, except for the converter, I have all the parts I need in my possession, except for maybe a 29 or 30" tall pair of slicks, which would be better suited to my combo. I can worry about that later. I will have one race left at my home track in late September, and I'd love to see what the car is capable of before winter...unless I pull a miracle out!

Last edited by Joe Toller; 08-03-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #59
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Lesson number 1 for the newbie stocker builder: It will not get done as soon as you hope, especially if you are on a tight budget!

That being said, I won't be racing at National Open, but getting to announce the whole weekend and see what it's about will be well worth it. I can't wait to get back to work on my beast!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #60
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Well, the Open has passed, and work is slowing down, so I can safely say: The 'Dog will attempt to run, Sept. 28-29th, last race of the season. I am going to sneak in some time-only passes. I will have total cost and times the following week, good or bad! Just need to square up on my converter and slide the trans in!

Thanks for all the support and advice, especially, Billy Nees, Neil Smedley, Mark Yacavone, and Bob Shaw!

Last edited by Joe Toller; 09-01-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Trying to jinx myself!