HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racing Events > Events

Old 07-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #1

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts
Default Relocating from NHRA Division 6 to IHRA Division 4.

It has been a life goal of ours to move to Texas, for many years. I recently retired, and so we bought a place with some acreage in central Texas. We've been here since Thanksgiving, and we absolutely love living here.

I have been racing since the '70s, but I have only raced in NHRA Division 6.

I assumed that all drag strips across the nation were going to be pretty much like Seattle, or at least like Woodburn.

Little River is the nearest drag strip to me, so I headed out there to take a look, at a recent Summit Super Series bracket racing event, and was really surprised at how different it was, as compared to what I have experienced before.

The strip is VERY narrow, so narrow that it's physically impossible to drive around the water and back in, so everybody's front tires are going through the water on their way to the starting line. It's only 1/8 mile, the timing equipment looks old, and the guardrails have obviously been hit and not repaired. There are trees just beyond the right guardrail, and spectators just beyond the left guardrail. They don't sell alcohol there, but I saw a LOT of drinking going on, including people working on race cars and people operating golf carts and other support vehicles. Hopefully none of the racers were drunk. The pits were dirt, and the return road runs right through the middle of the pits, which is pretty exciting after dark with unlit race cars whizzing through the pits at 30 mph on their way to the lanes, sometimes with unlit cars, golf carts, quads, and/or dirt bikes going the other way, and a lot of pedestrians going every which way. The bleachers are falling apart, and the fences look like they're falling down. There were numerous children buzzing around on dirt bikes and quads, with no helmets and no direct parental supervision. I saw numerous cars that should not have passed tech, and at least one racer that made multiple laps with his helmet unfastened. I lost count of the number of times they had to stop to fiddle with the top end lights, pick up parts off the track, and clean fluids off the track. One hoopty V8 S10 pickup crashed half way between the water and the starting line. A sand rail on mud tires took about 400 feet to reach the 330, and then lost the battle, doing several spins and coming to rest facing the starting line.

I suppose that if all the cars there were really slow, then some of this stuff might not matter so much, but there were some cars running in the 4s at around 140 mph.

This was all very different from what I have experienced before. I'd like to take my wife to the strip to try her car out just for fun, but what I saw didn't look nearly as safe as what I have experienced before.

Is this just "normal" when drag racing in this part of the country, or did I just come across an unusual drag strip?

Last edited by 6130; 07-22-2021 at 11:24 AM.
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
Dragrac419

Liked 184 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Relocating from NHRA Division 6 to IHRA Division 4.

Not sure where you live but that is one of the most outdate tracks in Texas. Abilene has a nice track, San Antonio also has a nice track and then there is Ennis. There are others but not knowing where you are or how far from are little river make it hard to say. Look up drag strips in Texas and you will find them. There are a couple nice tracks around the Dallas Fort Worth area. I know might be a little bit of a drive.
Liked
Old 07-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

I'm outside of Waco. Abilene and San Antonio are 3 hours away, and Ennis is 1-1/2 hours away.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:43 PM   #4
joe huestis

Liked 368 Times in 102 Posts

I raced at this track back in ‘94 with a rental car while visiting family in Round Rock, Tx. Back then it was known as Temple-Academy Dragway. At that time the track was run as a 1/4 mile track which had a walking bridge over the track near the finish line. During the week the parking lot was used as a cow pasture and while I was there had to dodge cow manure all over the place. They could sure pack in a large crowd and noticed the track did hook pretty good for the quicker cars. But yes, even back then place needed a lot of updating and TLC to the grounds.
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-31-2021, 10:03 AM   #5

Yeah, I would believe that it's been let go for 30 years or so.

There's a lot about the place that could be fixed, but it would take some money. Cutting down the trees on the right would be a major safety improvement. Paving a dedicated return road along the left side would eliminate the heavy amount of unlit high-speed traffic whizzing through the pits, and it would push the spectator fence back, which is falling down and needs to be replaced anyway.

And in my opinion, no unlicensed children should be operating anything with wheels in the pits, ESPECIALLY motorized vehicles.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:04 AM   #6
joe huestis

Liked 368 Times in 102 Posts

I moved my family from the Hudson Valley of New York to North Carolina 22 years ago to get away from high taxes and being able to afford to put my 5 children all through college. Towed my stocker on the back of my old ramp truck I had back then to NC and found I had 9 active drag strips within 2 1/2 hours of my new home. To this day, I don’t believe there is another state in the union that has as many options that we have in the Carolinas.
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
tommy d

Liked 310 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe huestis View Post
I moved my family from the Hudson Valley of New York to North Carolina 22 years ago to get away from high taxes and being able to afford to put my 5 children all through college. Towed my stocker on the back of my old ramp truck I had back then to NC and found I had 9 active drag strips within 2 1/2 hours of my new home. To this day, I don’t believe there is another state in the union that has as many options that we have in the Carolinas.
From Indy we have 8 that come to mind.