HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-24-2024, 03:28 PM   #1
JP1738

Liked 265 Times in 87 Posts
Default Designated Pairs

Can someone explain to me what exactly this is? A friend of mine informed me that I'll likely be a designated pair at this weekend's national in Charlotte. He said that they typically consist of the bottom 3 qualifiers and their opponents. I can't find anything on NHRA Racer about it and wanted to know more and what to expect should I be included in it. I've qualified last or next to last at every divisional I've been to so far this year and I don't think that's going to change this weekend.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:33 PM   #2
Paul Sarvas

Liked 173 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Designated Pairs

https://www.nhraracer.com/content/ge...135&zoneid=175

pS
Old 04-24-2024, 03:36 PM   #3
JP1738

Dang. I better not dick around after super street then, I'm entered in that too.
Liked
Old 04-24-2024, 03:38 PM   #4
Ellis V Buth

Liked 291 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
Can someone explain to me what exactly this is? A friend of mine informed me that I'll likely be a designated pair at this weekend's national in Charlotte. He said that they typically consist of the bottom 3 qualifiers and their opponents. I can't find anything on NHRA Racer about it and wanted to know more and what to expect should I be included in it. I've qualified last or next to last at every divisional I've been to so far this year and I don't think that's going to change this weekend.
When Alan gets on the mic and calls "Stock to the lanes" bright and early on Saturday morning (or whenever r1 is slated to run), you'll need to be up there first thing no matter what side of the ladder you're on. Typically, they'll call "Designated pairs (list the drivers) and left side of the ladder to the lanes please".

Nothing to get worked up about or stress over, but you will end up being one of the first 3 pairs of cars down the track. If you're a designated pair and you don't show up in the lanes on time, they won't wait for you to get there and run at the end of the class.
Ellis V Buth is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-24-2024, 03:40 PM   #5
Ellis V Buth

Liked 291 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Dang. I better not dick around after super street then, I'm entered in that too.
I would certainly advise you to try and be one of the first handful of pairs down the track in S/ST if you're a designated pair in stock and can manage to get up there that early for S/ST
Ellis V Buth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:43 PM   #6
JP1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis V Buth View Post
I would certainly advise you to try and be one of the first handful of pairs down the track in S/ST if you're a designated pair in stock and can manage to get up there that early for S/ST
That's what I was thinking. A real turn and burn situation, unless a couple people wanna qualify poorly to help a brother out
Liked
Old 04-24-2024, 04:07 PM   #7
Cglrcng

Liked 118 Times in 57 Posts

Those first 3 pairs, just allow the lane master to get the mess behind you all paired up and into the lanes to be run without stopping the show.

Like it was said above, the bottom 3 qualifiers and their opponents on the ladder are called first (get there, drive to the front, coin flips or whatever, and switch lanes later), those 3 run in order of designated prs 1, 2 then 3...everyone else once paired up, follows along. Keeps the flow moving along. Do not stress, just don't dawdle. Be ready after you run in Super Street to jump in your Stocker and go. Prep both cars before & after.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:16 PM   #8
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,634 Times in 1,294 Posts

Quote:
You sure have had a lot of challenges in your first year of stock eliminator…but you are a SHOE IN to be a designated pair in Charlotte…..Enjoy …
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 04:30 PM   #9
Stock726

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I always have to chuckle whenever I hear someone lamenting about all the "headaches" that come with running in two classes at one national event.

There are so many capable racers I know who can only dream of racing one car, one time at the national event level.
Stock726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked