HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 06-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts
Default Erica Enders fire

https://autoweek.com/article/nhra/my...g2NXm-4PopBPJ4

By now most everyone is aware of the fire Erica Enders had on Saturday while qualifying in Pro Mod at Norwalk. Be sure to read the full story and how she had a little trouble getting out of the car.

This brings me to the point that all racers need to practice getting out of their racecar in an emergency. The practice "exit" needs to be done in the following manner....

Buckle yourself in the driver seat while wearing all your safety gear. That means jacket, pants, gloves, shoes, neck collar, and helmet. Put the window net up. Now start practicing the "exit".

First hit the kill switch. Next lower the window net. Then unbuckle your seat belts. Open the door and climb out of the car. That didn't seem too bad. Now do it again with your eyes closed because the cockpit could be filled with smoke.

Become familiar with exiting this way by practicing it many times over at home remembering that there is not a "Safety Safari" at all tracks.
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default Re: Erica Enders fire

As always thanks to you and the NHRA crew for making us think and help keeping us safe!
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

When getting your license this was part of the test. Working tech at Speedworld we would give this test. Allot of drivers failed the first time because of the 15 second rule on getting out. They would practice a couple times and then re test. Even had some bitch at us because we failed them. I simply told them it's their life they are saving as I can't get to them in 15 seconds to put fire out of get then out. Some understood some didn't.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
Jerry Terry

Liked 448 Times in 132 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Erica Enders fire

Tim McAmis Performance Parts has a great video on a window net release which I think is a lot better then the seat belt buckle , Travis is right you do race at a lot of tracks where you don't have the safari team. Check this out

Last edited by Jerry Terry; 06-23-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: adding video
Jerry Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts

Travis, great information. Was at Road America and noticed they require full size socks as well.

Jeff, precisely why the military requires your being able to field strip and reassemble your weapon without being able to see it. Everything must be practiced to the point of being second nature.

If I read the article correctly she said the car has a mechanical fuel pump and so it kept pumping fuel through the broken fuel line. Maybe they need an inline solenoid tied to a kill switch?

Last edited by Bobby DiDomenico; 06-24-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote