HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 06-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #11
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Default Re: So.. Why aren't RACERS trying to set National records!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC'S REVENGE View Post
It use to be a BIG THING! Early days you would get National points for it! Now only bracket laps count! Hmmm
Lack of appreciation by NHRA and zero incentives. In short, the bean counters at NHRA got what they wanted. It cost money for them to support record setting. The decision makers are not racers they are accountants. They want to collect money from membership for services that they don’t provide. They don’t want to spend money.

As far as the ability to tear down. I am sure that most racers would find a way to learn or get support if setting a record was of benefit to them.

We have set a lot of records, but not so much lately. We used to scout through the records list. It was really an inexpensive source of recognition that drove a lot of people to proactively work on their cars, chase the best races to set records, etc. if the execs at NHRA wanted this they could easily fix it.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #12
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 495 Times in 103 Posts

It is disappointing that they don't recognize records like they once did in Dragster. They do list them on nhraracer.com and of course you still get the certificate. My 18-year-old son and myself had the pleasure of setting the D/SA record last fall at Indy and it was a really cool father-son thing for us to experience.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
Brett C
VIP Member

Liked 836 Times in 191 Posts

ZERO incentive!
Brett C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #14
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
On the racer side lots of us stock and super stock racers are getting older. I will be 64 this year. Early on in my career I was able to set the record in my car a couple of times. Right now I dont even know if there is a record in my class or if it is at the minimum. Personally I dont want to run qualifying all day then tear my engine down to do tech then put the thing back together to race the next day. I do build my own engines and am perfectly capable of doing that. Just dont care to. I am sure there are some that buy their engines and have never taken one apart and reassembled it to race the next morning.
Now at the D2 races we have been running one or two rounds on Saturday afternoon/evening so that eliminates the record setting and tear down. I cant remember the last time I saw someone tearing down to set a record. Especially an old guy like me.
In division 1 we have open races to be able to set a record. I did set a record and went thru the full teardown procedure. I was by myself and it took me a full 12 hours to teardown and put back together. I'm right there in age and it took all I had to do it. I set my mind to do it and glad I did. Now I won't be doing it again this year but glad to have great tech people to get it done. I did have help moving my car back to my trailer from a great Hoven family!

Last edited by Glenn Briglio; 06-27-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Glenn Briglio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:45 PM   #15
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,048 Times in 762 Posts

If one did want to set a record wouldn't a National Open be the best time to do so?
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:12 PM   #16
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

I set the SS/N record in 2019 as it was a big deal to prove my car and engine is legal to myself. The satisfaction of all the trials and broken parts to get it to that point is an ego thing. Constantly trying something to see if that works or doesn’t is what drives me in this performance based class. It’s disappointing that we can’t get a small space in ND once a year of the national records. Even trying to find the current Stock and SS national records is a joke online. The ability to set records with the divisional tech staffing at opens is also a problem the last couple of years.
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #17
DG

Liked 322 Times in 79 Posts

National Opens are definitely the best place to set a record. Division 7 National opens at Sacramento and Fallon are in June so the weather generally doesn't cooperate. Would love to see the Sacramento National Open or Maybe a Bakersfield National open the weekend before the Winternationals.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #18
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
In division 1 we have open races to be able to set a record. I did set a record and went thru the full teardown procedure. I was by myself and it took me a full 12 hours to teardown and put back together. I'm right there in age and it took all I had to do it. I set my mind to do it and glad I did. Now I won't be doing it again this year but glad to have great tech people to get it done. I did have help moving my car back to my trailer from a great Hoven family!
What Glen and Mike have said has a lot to do with it. The only place because of the AHFS is at an open if you want to set it at more than 1 under. I'm 66 and until this year was working about 60 hours a week. It's a lot of work to go threw the process and most of us getting older don't have the gas in the tank we did in our younger years. I've been threw Indy tear down's several times with different cars. Have made it threw every time but it's a long normally hot day. I laugh at the racers who haven't done it and would come on hear and say I don't have a problem tearing my car down. I look at it as getting a colonoscopy. No one really wants to do it but when your done and you get the thumbs up it's a good feeling. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #19
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
What Glen and Mike have said has a lot to do with it. The only place because of the AHFS is at an open if you want to set it at more than 1 under. I'm 66 and until this year was working about 60 hours a week. It's a lot of work to go threw the process and most of us getting older don't have the gas in the tank we did in our younger years. I've been threw Indy tear down's several times with different cars. Have made it threw every time but it's a long normally hot day. I laugh at the racers who haven't done it and would come on hear and say I don't have a problem tearing my car down. I look at it as getting a colonoscopy. No one really wants to do it but when your done and you get the thumbs up it's a good feeling. BP
Here in D2 we have a good national open series. Not good for setting records though. Ours is 1/8th mile and they all happen on Sunday after each one of our divisional races. All except SGMP and the Baby Gators.
I am a commercial construction superintendent and work about 60 hours a week and most of the time I am out of town working all week. No retirement in sight for me yet. Everything is just too expensive and I am not ready to give up on racing and traveling. i plan to battle this old age thing for as long as I can.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:24 PM   #20
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Lack of appreciation by NHRA and zero incentives. In short, the bean counters at NHRA got what they wanted. It cost money for them to support record setting. The decision makers are not racers they are accountants. They want to collect money from membership for services that they don’t provide. They don’t want to spend money.

As far as the ability to tear down. I am sure that most racers would find a way to learn or get support if setting a record was of benefit to them.

We have set a lot of records, but not so much lately. We used to scout through the records list. It was really an inexpensive source of recognition that drove a lot of people to proactively work on their cars, chase the best races to set records, etc. if the execs at NHRA wanted this they could easily fix it.
Several years ago, I put together a proposal to NHRA to incentivize records and put the performance aspect back into S/SS. They weren’t interested. The other reason was they told me 80% of the s/SS reps DIDNT want it either. I think I still have the emails. So there you go your competition doesn’t want it.

-Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote