HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Can NHRA survive without John Force ?

We had a discussion a year and a half or so ago, among just us racers that have done this awhile. Why not have 140 car fields, knock off all the grade points, at $330 a car, that's a bunch of cash flow, for all Sportsman categories. We could get there at the track on Monday, get pitted and entered, then get two or three time only's on Wednesday. Rounds one and two could go down on Thursday, three, and four on Friday AM leaving the afternoon for the Pro qualifying, then round 5 on Saturday, the Pros finish qualifying on Saturday with minimal sharing of the track time for the Sportsman, then the semis and the final round on Sundays in between the last few rounds of the Pros. Seems that that would bring in another almost $200,000 in entry fees total, and would only result in another day's work.It also wouldn't compromise the time requirements for the live TV viewers on Sunday.

Last edited by Greg Reimer 7376; 07-04-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,789 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default Re: Can NHRA survive without John Force ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
NHRA has made the biggest mistake any business can make
Depending on a few BIG customers and neglect all the small ones
Hey Ponko, back in the old days, we called that "Putting all of your eggs in one basket". What happens if you drop the basket?

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,612 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
NHRA has made the biggest mistake any business can make
Depending on a few BIG customers and neglect all the small ones
Folks we have seen the train wreck before .........IHRA
How did that work out..... asking for a friend
James, did you remove the BAD AZZ FAST NOVA from the FOR SALE section. I sure HOPE you continue to race with US crazies....MJ
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #14
ironside68

Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts

The CAPCO cars were testing at Martin(US131 MSP) just last week so doubt they’re sitting the year out.
ironside68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #15
BILL TAYLOR

Liked 186 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Darts View Post
This might be what's necessary to reset all of drag racing.
There's gonna be a whole lot of things reset, redone, rethought, reconsidered and gone forever etc. when this BS is finally over!
BILL TAYLOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-05-2020, 12:01 AM   #16
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL TAYLOR View Post
There's gonna be a whole lot of things reset, redone, rethought, reconsidered and gone forever etc. when this BS is finally over!
I'd like to see NHRA, John Force and everything and everyone else survive and get right back to where they (we) were 5 months ago and prosper. I hope that happens because the new normal sucks.

But, as things "open up", whatever that means, I'm seeing places not returning. Closed. Gone. Businesses that managed to hold on being told they can open at 50% capacity, and just saying the hell with it and giving up.

The governors and state health secretaries in many states continue to keep their foot on the necks of businesses and the public. I see the corruption, favoritism and ineptitude in my home state and can only assume it's being repeated around the country.

Add in the civil unrest and it's not a good time to try to move forward with any plans. I'll keep my theories to myself, but I just don't believe in coincidences and I don't expect there will be any relief until after the election, if then. Until then, all we can do is hunker down and be glad for the few opportunities we have to do anything enjoyable.

Never before has the expression "There's always next year" been so relevant.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:04 AM   #17
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Talk about govt with their foot on business neck.. We are doing a kitchen remodel and looking at appliances. went to a Mom & Pop store about 35 miles west of us in a small town. I've had friends that bought from them and got good prices and service. they sell the same brands as our local Lowes store, but since covid they can't special order. They can only sell out of inventory. for that brand S/O we have to go to Lowes. OK so we are forced to go to Lowes for the American made brand we want. Right off we cant get a salesman & when we do the first thing out of his mouth insulted my wife.. We are out of there. Think we will look at some more local mom & Pop stores. I can afford to keep them in business. We are in some sad times..

Last edited by Adger Smith; 07-05-2020 at 01:05 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:27 AM   #18
TommyPettigrew3076

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

I am a firm believer things need to evolve to live and prosper I also believe there is a limit . The class at least in my lifetime that I was old enough to understand the sport has been out of hand since the early 90's car counts kept going down too much money needed to run and even for some people most would consider wealthy out of reach . Its d impossible for an " average " person to compete in fuel or Prostock for that matter and that is an issue. Indy car and even though it is relative Formula 1 put the brakes on development and rules. I think it is very irresponsible as a sanctioning body to ignore the cost to run a class and see the signs that a hand full of people are keeping it alive and depending on that . Any ideas will surely fall on deaf ears until someone or some of us in the trenches somehow make it into the the NHRA corporate food chain and make a difference. Garlits has spoken on this matter many times saying he would have a car out there right now but he's not going to blow up his stuff every round to be at the front of the pack considering what it cost and the return . He would go race after race never changing a motor at times not even changing pistons or heads . Yeah I know I know that was then and this is now but isn't now the time to put rules in effect to lower the cost to up the car count so someone that MIGHT be able to scrape up the cash to get a used car and some parts and a few volunteers and go racing maybe not set the world on fire but be out there be seen and help the class and the sport. 1000 foot racing sucks , none of us can even relate to what it cost to run one drivers are picked by sponsors more or less . I think most of us at one time were drawn to NHRA racing because of the fuel cars and hoping one day to pilot one but to be honest competing in stock there have been national events I have raced at and never watched a fuel car go down the track . Maybe its because now being able to compete at an event and dreaming about it as a kid its different for me now . In my opinion when more semis than truck and trailers are parked for a class its time to start pulling in the reigns on them and review the cost of the class and who is actually competing and flipping the bill . Man to think it wasn't too long ago or so it seems that a couple or three guys with some decent jobs could put together a fuel dragster and make it pay for itself and maybe win a little money but I was born to late to see that and its sad that me or any younger people ever will . Just like the Radial tire stuff you can race for $10,000 to $25000 all day for less than what we pay to run stock or super stock at a national event.
TommyPettigrew3076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:28 AM   #19
bigshow2966

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

I read on Yellowbullet that someone who had (supposedly) talked to a Force crewmember was told that Force has had to return a bunch of sponsor money since the season has not restarted yet. I read an interview with Force on Dragzine a month ago and he was nervous as a dog crapping pea gravel then, and he stated the future was very uncertain.
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #20
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Talk about govt with their foot on business neck.. We are doing a kitchen remodel and looking at appliances. went to a Mom & Pop store about 35 miles west of us in a small town. I've had friends that bought from them and got good prices and service. they sell the same brands as our local Lowes store, but since covid they can't special order. They can only sell out of inventory. for that brand S/O we have to go to Lowes. OK so we are forced to go to Lowes for the American made brand we want. Right off we cant get a salesman & when we do the first thing out of his mouth insulted my wife.. We are out of there. Think we will look at some more local mom & Pop stores. I can afford to keep them in business. We are in some sad times..
Indeed ..